• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

M/Cpl Michaud Dies From Injuries Sustained in Afghanistan- July 5/ 2009

vonGarvin

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
From here
Canadian soldier injured in Afghanistan last month has died of his injuries in a Quebec City hospital.

Master Cpl. Charles-Philippe Michaud, from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22nd Regiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, died at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Michaud was injured around 9:15 a.m. on June 23, when he stepped on a mine while on foot patrol in the Panjwaii district, southwest of Kandahar City.

More at link above.

RIP Soldier
:salute:

News Release
Canadian soldier dies in Quebec hospital from injuries sustained in Afghanistan
CLS NR–09.001 - July 5, 2009

OTTAWA– A Canadian soldier who recently sustained serious injuries in Afghanistan passed away in a Quebec hospital yesterday. 

The deceased is Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud from the 2e Batallion, Royal 22e Régiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Quebec City.

michaud_cp.jpg

Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud

At approximately 9:15 a.m. Kandahar time on June 23, 2009, Master-Corporal Michaud was seriously injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated near his dismounted patrol in Panjwayi District, southwest of Kandahar City. 

Master-Corporal Michaud was evacuated by helicopter to the coalition medical facility at Kandahar Airfield and subsequently moved to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre in Germany.  He arrived in Quebec City on June 28, 2009 and succumbed to his injuries at approximately 2 p.m. EDT on July 4, 2009 in a Quebec City hospital.

Master-Corporal Michaud was serving as a member of the 2e Batallion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group in Kandahar, Afghanistan.  This was his third operational tour and second to Afghanistan.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of our fallen comrade during this very difficult time.

Master-Corporal Michaud lost his life as a direct result of his participation in operations to enhance security for the people of Kandahar Province.  We will not forget his sacrifice as the Canadian Forces continues to work with Afghans and our allies to bring peace and stability to the region.

-30-

Note to Editors:
A photograph of Master-Corporal Michaud is available on the remote site of the Canadian Forces Image Gallery at www.combatcamera.ca

Please note that this site is only used to post imagery outside of normal working hours.

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of
NR–00.060 - July 5, 2009

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian Soldier.

“I wish to express my heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud.

Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud was a valiant and courageous Canadian soldier who died in service to his country and the world community after being wounded in Afghanistan during a patrol June 23.

His sacrifice will never be forgotten and increases Canada's resolve to help the Afghan people in a UN-sanctioned, NATO-led mission.

Thanks to Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud, progress and change is taking place in Afghanistan.”

-30-

Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud is from the 2e Batallion, Royal 22e Régiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Quebec City.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Master Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud
July 5, 2009

OTTAWA— My husband Jean-Daniel Lafond and I learned with renewed sadness of the death of Master Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud, who passed away following injuries incurred in Afghanistan.

Master Corporal Michaud, of the 2nd Batallion, Royal 22e Régiment, based at Valcartier (Que.), was transferred to a hospital in the City of Québec on June 28, after having sustained serious injuries in the explosion of an improvised explosive device, hidden by Talibans insurgents, while conducting foot patrol on June 23.

Attacks in Afghanistan are constant and merciless. Our patrolling soldiers and those assigned to demining the country are acutely aware of this and yet go meet danger face to face every day. Their courage knows no limit; they are totally focused on finding and neutralizing as many of the deadly devices as possible, on insuring the security of the area, on protecting civilians as much as is humanly possible. That is their first and foremost mission.

Master Corporal Michaud is one of the courageous, and without a doubt, generous soldier whose sense of duty and ability to keep going despite all adversity command our admiration for the women and men serving in the Canadian Forces. We imagine today the deep sadness of his parents, his family, loved ones and friends who greeted him upon his arrival, surrounding him with affection, sustaining day after day their collective hope that he would recover from his injuries. We send them our most sincere condolences.

Our thoughts also go to his peers who have lost another one of their comrades-in-arms.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media Information:
Annabelle Cloutier
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-993-2569
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca 

En vous priant de recevoir mes plus sincères condoléances.

Just 0600 here on a cold wintery Monday morning, and again waking up to more bad news.

OWDU

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
5 July 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud from the 2e Batallion, Royal 22e Régiment based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier, near Quebec City:

“It was with great sadness that I learned of the death of Master-Corporal Charles-Philippe Michaud today.  I was aware of his heroic battle to survive severe injuries sustained on June 23 in Afghanistan.

“The thoughts of all Canadians are with Master-Corporal Michaud’s family today.  They are in our prayers.

“We honour his sacrifice.  We stand by our troops and allies in the struggle to bring Afghans a better future and make Canadians safer.

“On behalf of all Canadians, and the Government of Canada, I extend heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Master-Corporal Michaud.”

I guess it's almost been a year since I sat with MCpl Michaud at the airport while we waited for our bus. I remember watching his kit for him while he grabbed Tim Horton's, and I remember talking with him about his upcoming tour. Although having only met him one day out of my life, he sticks out in my mind as a great role model and simply a nice guy.

RIP MCpl, you will not be forgotten.

R.I.P Mcpl may your family find solace in this time of sorrow :salute: :cdn:

rest in peace soldier (salute)
your job is done (canada flag)
you will not be forgotton (yellow ribbon)
condolences to family, comrades, and friends..

scoty b

You fought the good fight, Caporal-Chef, you can now rest easy!  :salute:

RIP MCpl Michaud  :salute:

Lo, There Do I See My Father…
Lo, There Do I See My Mother…
And My Sisters and My Brothers…
Lo, There Do I See The Line
Of My People Back to the Beginning…
They Do Bid Me To Take My Place Among Them…
In The Halls of Valhalla
Where The Brave May Live Forever

Back