• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lucky Charms/Heirlooms?

Sig_Des

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Though this might be interesting, and a search didn't turn up any similar threads.

Got the idea when Wes listed his. Feel free to use any lucky charms you may carry/have carried.

For myself, before going to Afghanistan, my Grandmother gave me a St. Peregrine Laziosi (the Patron Saint of Cancer patients) medallion, which I wore on my dog tags.

Story behind it, she'd been shot in a holdup years ago, and had suffered no permanent damage whatsoever.

I also brought with me a small CF Soldier's Bible that had belonged to my uncle when he was in the Forces.

Not overly religious myself, but I'll take any luck I can get.

My lucky leather belt that I was issued first day in Corrections.......looking rather grim after 18 years but still holding me together.

Superstitious??...me??...naaaw...

Heh... I took my lucky Bag Pipes to Afghanistan...  And it worked; They didn't get shot.  ;)

I wore my regimental Ring, and when I was operated on after being wounded, an American doctor from the US 6th Naval fleet refused to let anyone it take off of me. One of the nurses later told me that the Doc felt it saved me, considering half of the regimental tattoo that survived on my arm was the part of our Falcon, which was obviously on the ring.

Also have a set of Rosary beads that a buddy of mine in the pioneer section found while clearing some houses in a village right before I was injured.  I still have them to this day.

dileas

tess

RHFC_piper said:
Heh... I took my lucky Bag Pipes to Afghanistan...   And it worked; They didn't get shot.  ;)

You should have had them with you........ ::)

The trick to a lucky charm is to ..... ;D

CDN Aviator said:
You should have had them with you........ ::)

The trick to a lucky charm is to ..... ;D

I dont know about that one... Playing the Highland March might draw out Taliban...

Maybe the sweet sound of the bag pipes will implode their ear drums and they will all come out and surrender.  ;D

oh c'mon

Think about it, will the Taliban expect Canadians to attack them with pipes leading ?

CDN Aviator said:
oh c'mon

Think about it, will the Taliban expect Canadians to attack them with pipes leading ?

No...probably not.

My lucky charm is all the training I've had over the years

just kidding.

I have a rosary (which I use daily for its intended purpose), and I plan on bringing it with me.

CDN Aviator said:
oh c'mon

No, but a piper won a VC for playing the pipes there (the Sandbox) with both ankles shot out....

http://www.thegordonhighlanders.co.uk/vc%20citations/piper_george_findlater.htm

dhm020.jpg

dileas

tess

This may sound silly but my second year in Petawawa, I bought a Dodge Neon.  My daughter was about six years old at the time and bought me a seahorse Beany Baby named Neon.  Neon has been on every BFT with me since then and to Bosnia and Afghanistan.  Add that to the mini rosary my mother's cousin had blessed for me.  Those are my "lucky" charms.

1601550801504040_1.jpg

I sometimes have a whole box of lucky charms, but they never stay around long enough in my household to be considered heirlooms.  ;D
Lucky_charms.jpg

And no Moe, doesn't sound silly at all, at least not to another parent.  My son has always packed his 2nd favourite stuffed animal (guess I'm not quite special enough to be trusted with his fav!) in my kit for whenever I sailed or went away on course.

CDN Aviator said:
oh c'mon

I did play the day before we went in to Pashmul... and I wanted to play while we crossed the Arghandab, but the company commander said no just at the last minute.  But, he wanted me to play on top of objective Rugby once we took it, and I would have... but we all know what happened.

n510832331_69662_9409.jpg

I did bring a few "lucky charms" with me into battle, though;  My grandmother gave me a medallion of Saint Christopher, the patron saint of travelers, I had it on my dog tags... I had a few other items (due to my families superstitions) but they're of no consequence...  Just more junk to tote around.

Now, my "lucky charms" are the 2 hunks of shrapnel which sit next to my kidneys... They always remind me just how lucky I was to survive.  That, and all the little holes; some of which are in places which should have done more damage or should have killed me.  Sometimes that makes me feel good... most of the time it just make me feel sad; all the hits I took and I'm okay, and yet the one who didn't make it was only seriously hit with just one piece... but that's all it took... It just doesn't seem fair.

Anyway, I think just about everyone I deployed with had something to help them feel more lucky... something to help them through.  A good friend of mine had a journal which he had been writing in for a long time (I'm guessing about 5 years)... he had written in it every day, even over seas, between writing letters home and writing to schools and friends who had sent him stuff... he wrote all the time.  He had this book in his LAV when we went into battle, and had to leave it there when his LAV was disabled by an Anti-tank recoilless rifle... He and his crew suffered only minor injuries, but his vehicle and his journal were left on the battlefield.  Shortly after we withdrew from battle, the LAV and it's contents were bombed into dust by the Coalition air support we had over our heads. 
n510832331_7193_5081.jpg

The image above is his LAV after 2X 1000lbs JDAMs.

His whole section lost kit... thus is the nature of combat, and why I tell people to take stuff over at their own risk... But, I felt bad for his loss. That book was more than a collection of writing; it was a tribute of time and a window into his thoughts. He lost that book 3 weeks into his tour, but that didn't stop him from writing... he has a new journal, which he started in Afghanistan. 
I'm not one for telling other peoples stories, but knowing him, he wouldn't tell it himself... it took a lot to get him to let me write about him in my piece in "Outside the wire" (in the end I owed him a copy of the book)... But his loss got to me then, even amongst all the other loss that day, because it was a loss of time, effort and knowledge.

I can't say I believe in lucky mementos or charms; I do believe that luck does play a huge factor in survival over there sometimes.  A lot of us were and are lucky... some of us weren't so much.  I guess it just helps us to cope when someone we know is taken from us; It was their time... their luck just ran out.

Anyway, sorry if this turned into a novel, and I'm sorry it darkened the mood... I'll stop before I depress everyone.

I have brought a little stuffed Wiley on all my tours to watch out for me (no heavy reason or story behind it, just did)

Seen here posing with Pl WOs Kermit in Afghanistan 06:

main.php

I just have an AK 47 round with my name on it. I wear it with my dog tags.  ;D

Kermits a sniper? No wonder we dont see much of Ms. Piggy anymore.

OK,

I know that those lucky charms are important to people, and probably always has existed in different style over the years. I never have been into lucks or out of luck believes, so i cannot tell that I have such of those.

the thing I can get as close as a lucky charms would probably be either my dog tag that I got from my dad when I was enrolled the first time in 1992 and that I still have, or my wedding ring...that i have never took off since 2000.

I walked all over a strip of grass 15 meters long by 4 meters wide and somehow avoided stepping on 6 landmines.

I believe in blind luck alright......

mysteriousmind said:
OK,

I know that those lucky charms are important to people, and probably always has existed in different style over the years. I never have been into lucks or out of luck believes, so i cannot tell that I have such of those.

the thing I can get as close as a lucky charms would probably be either my dog tag that I got from my dad when I was enrolled the first time in 1992 and that I still have, or my wedding ring...that i have never took off since 2000.

It's not so much if you really believe it brings you luck or not, personnally i don't think my little stuffed coyote makes any luck for me, I just brought on my first tour as a buddy gave it to me and I've been bringing it ever since. Alittle bit of home one might say.

cheers

I have a republic of Newfoundland flag that I have taken everywhere I have gone.

It even flew a brief stint on my vehicle until the troop warrant seen it.

"21 newfie take that ______ thing down,out"
He thought it was funny however.

Back