• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LSVW Replacement

What ever the replacement may be................we need to buy directly from foreign manufactures, the made in Canada aspect doesn't work in the least.....................the Iveco 410 (aka LSVW to the rest of the world) is an amazing vehicle.............we just made junk of it here in Canada.  The LSVW is a 1.5T platform...........not many vehicles availble can fit this need, there are abundant 2.5T platforms avail (incl the FMTV), thus for a 1.5T platform, options are limited yet the Pinzgauer seems to fit the bill perfectly, old school technology, proven combat capability as does the Land Rover Defender HC130 PU, but of sorry neither of them are made in Canada................so we will most likely just add  some green paint to a Chevy Tacker and we will have aour replcement (they are made in Ontario!)

From: http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20060509.aspx

Britain Goes With Pinzgauer in Afghanistan
May 9, 2006: Britain is buying 80 armored trucks for their troops in Afghanistan, who are facing a more hostile environment that they did in Iraq. Eighty Pinzgauer military trucks are being bought, at a cost of $788,000 each. The Pinzgauer was developed, in the early 1970s, by the Austrian firm Steyr-Daimler-Puch (which now has an assembly plant in Britain). This new cross country truck design proved very popular with the civilian market, and then with military users. Cheaper and, to their users, more versatile and reliable than trucks from the larger military vehicle manufacturers, there are now over 30,000 Pinzgauers in service in 24 countries. The 4x4 wheel drive models carry up to 2,400 pounds, the 6x6 3,300 pounds. Each can carry twelve troops comfortably (and more than twice as many uncomfortably.) The Pinzgauer has kept up with the competition. When the American Humvee appeared two decades ago, the Pinzgauer design was modified to create a wider, lower vehicle (a feature of the Humvee that proved very successful). The Pinzgauer isn't cheaper than the Humvee, but is considered a better value and, for nations with anti-American leanings, makes them feel better.

The armored model the British are getting is called the Pinzgauer Protector and is a 6x6 vehicle that will protect its passengers from rifle bullets and roadside bombs. The protection includes a Kevlar floor, bullet proof glass and tires that will run when flat. The British, however, probably won't get their vehicles until next Summer.

soon_to_be_infantry said:
I think we should create our own. Then we can design it to be effective in canadas types of missions.

That will cost more in the long run.

Still at least we will have a good vehicles that can be fit for Canadian missions. Also they can be built right here in Canada.

Also they can be built right here in Canada.

When is the last time that worked out to be a good thing ?  ::)

I think we should create our own. Then we can design it to be effective in canadas types of missions.

And good job on replying to a thread just shy of 2 months old....and adding absolutely nothing  ;)

Sig_Des said:
And good job on replying to a thread just shy of 2 months old....and adding absolutely nothing  ;)

yeah...what you said !!

Hmmm, Custom Canadian Design + Burueacracy + small production run = Big Bucks in a small budget
The suggestions to go with a proven design sound a lot better

cdnaviator said:
When is the last time that worked out to be a good thing ?  ::)
HLVW is a good piece of kit - by any stretch of the imagination.  We got that one right!

geo said:
HLVW is a good piece of kit - by any stretch of the imagination.  We got that one right!

The truck is good...but the politics that went into it  were not.  The production folded after ours were built and the governments investment in job creation died along with it. Nothing against the truck itself, i loved driving it in the field but the whole affair was a fine example of why defence dollars should not be used as a regional developement tool IMHO

I guess i'll add my 3 cents. seems no one has posted in over 3 months.

I remember the days of the old Dodge power wagons in the 70's, 318, 4 speed manual, 4x4 and go ANYWHERE!!! When is say anywhere i mean it had some serious ground clearance and could traverse almost any terrrain. Built like a tank and drove like a tank! But man what a truck!!

As for the LSVW when we recieved them in the Battalions they were not well liked, as for there capabilities, they are underpowered and overweight. If they had used a 6cyl instead of the 4 banger it would have been a much more capable vehicle. Squeaky brakes, shorted starters, rusted bodies, and rear personal heaters that worked some of the time if they didn't flood or overheat. PIECE OF CRAP!!! My God they closed the testing grounds for the LSVW because the vehicle failed miserably and they then proceeded to put it through a modified test so it would pass!

Why can't we go with something that works. "German" The Germans have some of the best military vehicles on the planet ie, "the UNI-mog", " the MUNGO", "the G-wagon"[/b] which were already using in Afghanistan. These are all excellent vehicles and fit our criteria.
Why does some flat face civy who doesn't know his A** from a rifle from "Public works" make the decision for what military hardware we purchase. Maybe, just maybe if they left this job primarly to someone who has a military background and first hand knowledge on what our actual requirements are, we wouldn't end up with pieces of junk like the LSVW. But i guess thats asking to much. I would add the HUMVEE to the list, but the americans won't give us the rights to build it up here in Canada, so until that happens say probably 30 yrs from now its of the menu.

looks kind of cool, but how much juice can it put out, I wonder

Ah, the Pinz. (sigh)

What a beauty this would be. With it one could replace LS and the shortfall in Iltis, 4x4 and 6x6 versions. Available as a hauler and a wpns carrier, would make a poor man's recce variant. Perhaps we could convince ourselves the 6by is a replacement for ML in some roles....

Used around the world (Swiss, Brits, Kiwis and a dozen others).

Simple as shite, gawd, there actually was one version powered by a two stroke, air cooled, Deutz diesel once (can't make a motor much simpler than that!). Current production models use the diesel from the Jetta (civ maintanence)

Can be armoured.

Simple backbone frame with swing axles. Mobile and simple, want to re-role? pull of the cab and bolt another on.

A simple carrier and recce vehicle for the reserves, and simple carrier for the LIBS.

To sensible, it will never happen. Perhaps IVECO has something in mind for us.  :-X

retiredgrunt45 said:
I remember the days of the old Dodge power wagons in the 70's, 318, 4 speed manual, 4x4 and go ANYWHERE!!! When is say anywhere i mean it had some serious ground clearance and could traverse almost any terrrain. Built like a tank and drove like a tank! But man what a truck!!

I concur, it's a pity that we got rid of them..... Should have just upgraded them, and they would have served faithfully for atleast another 20 years....

But can you remember back to the days of the old 3/4 tons??? They were virtually unstoppable in any terrain.

fbr2o75 said:
But can you remember back to the days of the old 3/4 tons??? They were virtually unstoppable in any terrain.

Them as well..... An even better vehicle IMO....

cplcaldwell said:
Ah, the Pinz. (sigh)

What a beauty this would be. With it one could replace LS and the shortfall in Iltis, 4x4 and 6x6 versions. Available as a hauler and a wpns carrier, would make a poor man's recce variant. Perhaps we could convince ourselves the 6by is a replacement for ML in some roles....

Used around the world (Swiss, Brits, Kiwis and a dozen others).

Simple as shite, gawd, there actually was one version powered by a two stroke, air cooled, Deutz diesel once (can't make a motor much simpler than that!). Current production models use the diesel from the Jetta (civ maintanence)

Can be armoured.

Simple backbone frame with swing axles. Mobile and simple, want to re-role? pull of the cab and bolt another on.

A simple carrier and recce vehicle for the reserves, and simple carrier for the LIBS.

To sensible, it will never happen. Perhaps IVECO has something in mind for us.  :-X

The guy down the street has a Pinzaugar that his wife drives (ex-swiss military) Also a 404 Unimog and recently sold his Haflinger (imagine the result of breeding a unimog with a golfcart) The IVECO vehicle our LSVW is based on is not a bad vehicle and is also widely used, most of the design problems were Canadian.

Back