• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LRAD - Long Range Acoustic Device

Meridian

Inactive
Reaction score
Do we have any of these?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_range_acoustic_device

The long range acoustic device (LRAD) is a crowd-control and combatant-deterrent sonic weapon developed by American Technology Corporation.

The equipment weighs 45 pounds (20 kg) and can emit sound in a 15 to 30° beam (only at high frequency) from a device 33 inches (83 cm) in diameter. At maximum volume, it can emit a warning tone that is 150 dBSPL (1000 W/m²) at 1 metre, a level that is very capable of permanently damaging hearing, and 50 times the normal human threshold of pain (120 – 140 dB). The design range extends 300 to 500 metres. At 300 metres, the warning tone is 105 dB. The warning tone is a high-pitched shrill tone similar to that of a smoke detector, only somewhat louder.

Futureweapons just had a segment on them... very interesting technology!

George Wallace said:
Perhaps if you provided an NSN, someone could look that up for you.

How would I find the NSN - is this the "national stock number"?
As I said, I just saw it on futureweapons, and both the company and the wikipedia article mentioned it was in use in Afghanistan, Iraq, on board civilian cruise ships, etc.  Just curious if it was a piece of kit Canada had/appreciated/was looking into.

No....Canada does not have it.

A more reliable 105mm HESH round does the trick and gets the point across post-haste.

Regards

Meridian

As noted below, the LRAD has been fielded in military and on board civilian cruise liners as well as law enforcement and other security applications.  In late 2005, the LRAD was used by the SeaBorne Spirit to help defeat a pirate attack off the coast of Somali.  If you have any questions or need additional information about the Long Range Acoustic Device (LRAD) please feel free to contact me anytime. 

Richard Williams
American Technology Corporation
858-395-2979
rwilliams@atcsd.com

Just figured i'd resurrect this thread. Apparently the Forces is looking into this technology, we spent a couple of days last week at sea trialing the LRAD at sea in Halifax Harbor. A slick piece of kit to be sure, I was surprised at the range sound was projected. If we go ahead and buy this, it will certainly be a valuable tool in force protection.

Well I'd say this would be a definite help to deter potentially hostile situations without going lethal. Why use bullets when you can use this in those less hostile but potentially escelating situations. I'd say this would make the populace generally a bit more happy as well seeing less of a casualty count. One more very useful use that I can see is against potential suicide bombers.

Back