• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lowe's: No vet discount in Canada

Scoobs

Inactive
Reaction score
I was in the Orleans Lowe's today and asked if they still give the military discount.  They "do", but the cashier handed me a flyer stating:

Dear Lowe's Customer,

We have offered a military discount at this store in the past.  Regrettably this was done in error.  For a number of reasons, this is not something we will continue to offer in Canada.

At your request we will continue to offer this 10 percent military discount until Monday, October 31st, 2011 when you present valid military I.D.

Lowe's provides our customers the most competitive pricing in the market and an everyday price match guarantee.

Please accept our sincere apology.  We truly appreciate your business.

Understanding that I do not expect discounts just because I'm in the military, this really bothers me.  Why initially offer the discount and then say that is was offered in "error".  Also, I would love to know what these "number of reasons are".  Kind of insulting when this is still being offered in the US, was offered in Canada, and now is being discontinued.  Safe to say that I'm done shopping at any Lowe's in Canada.

Wow.  Just wow.

I was at the Orleans Lowes on Tuesday and bought a $638 sliding compound mitre saw with stand and nobody said a word when I handed over my ID...they even had to call over the manager because the discount required a manager's override.

Like you, this development floors me.  I'm going to make a point of going to Lowes tomorrow and picking up a few cheap items I need and see what they say when I flip my card out.  I've raised a stink there before and I'll do it again.  To offer the discount and then rescind it claiming it was offered in error is just ridiculous.  When I initially approached the manager at the Orleans store about not advertising the discount (mentioned earlier in this thread), he repeatedly assured me that the head office was trying to figure out how they were going to advertise the military/veterans discount in Canada.  Something isn't adding up.

Scoobs said:
I was in the Orleans Lowe's today and asked if they still give the military discount.  They "do", but the cashier handed me a flyer stating:

Dear Lowe's Customer,

We have offered a military discount at this store in the past.  Regrettably this was done in error.  For a number of reasons, this is not something we will continue to offer in Canada.

At your request we will continue to offer this 10 percent military discount until Monday, October 31st, 2011 when you present valid military I.D.

Lowe's provides our customers the most competitive pricing in the market and an everyday price match guarantee.

Please accept our sincere apology.  We truly appreciate your business.

Understanding that I do not expect discounts just because I'm in the military, this really bothers me.  Why initially offer the discount and then say that is was offered in "error".  Also, I would love to know what these "number of reasons are".  Kind of insulting when this is still being offered in the US, was offered in Canada, and now is being discontinued.  Safe to say that I'm done shopping at any Lowe's in Canada.

Anyway you could scan that, and upload the pic?

dileas

tess

If they give me one tomorrow, I'll scan it in and post it here.  I have a scanner here at the house.

Scanned it.  Here it is.

By the way Occam, our TiCats are getting their butts kicked right now.  They're too inconsistent!!

Yeah, they're not playing well at all.  Thought they might've come back tonight, but it's not gonna happen.

Re: the discount - take a look at the press release dated February 10, 2010 on the Lowe's US website:

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Lowe’s Companies, Inc. announced today it will expand its support of the military by offering an all day, every day 10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends.

Lowe’s was founded on the heels of World War II by veterans Jim Lowe and Carl Buchan and has always been a supporter of the military,” said Larry D. Stone, Lowe’s president and chief operating officer. “The year-round discount program is one way we are reaffirming our commitment to the thousands of men and women who are serving throughout the world, as well as their family members at home.

Unless you're a Canadian veteran, I guess.

Scoobs said:
Scanned it.  Here it is.

By the way Occam, our TiCats are getting their butts kicked right now.  They're too inconsistent!!

Cheers

it is now on my facebook wall!  Long live social media!

dileas

tess

I went into the Orleans store this morning and bought a few items I needed, and asked for the discount.  Sure enough, they handed me one of the slips.  I asked to speak to the store manager.

He gave me some spiel about how the offer should never have been given out in the first place, that someone saw the discount on the cash registers (and since they're linked to Lowe's USA) and they figured it applied here too.  Went on about always giving everyone the lowest pricing, and there's a bunch of dynamics involved when opening in a new market like Lowe's did in Canada, and blah blah blah.  He even mentioned that the Canadian CEO of Lowe's recently had a meeting with the Base Commander of CFB Kingston to discuss the discontinuation of the discount and that we'd likely be hearing more about it soon.  He gave me the number of the regional manager for Lowe's, Dave Bagler, 613-406-2046 Mon-Fri 0800-1700.  I'll be calling him.

Edit:  regional manager's name

I've just e-mailed their customer service.

Soon as I get a reply, will post answer.

dileas

tess

Well, I emailed their "Customer Service" last night and today I got the response.  I am not sh*tting you, the Lowe's person literally repeated word for word what the flyer stated.  Here's a copy of my comments to them:

I am a member of the Canadian Forces, i.e. military for those who do not know what Canadian Forces means. I was in the Orleans, Ontario store today and asked if the military discount was still being offered. I was told that it was and was handed a flyer that stated that the discount was being discontinued as of 31 Oct 11 as this was done in "error" and for a "number of reasons" it won't be continued. I would like to know what the "error" was and what the "number of reasons are". I find it deeply insulting as a member of the military of a country that you want to expand into, especially when the Lowe's in USA still offer the discount. Are Canadian Forces' members anything less?

And here's what I received from Lowe's:

Hello *****,

We have offered a military discount at this store in the past. Regrettably this was done in error. For a number of reasons, this is not something we will continue to offer in Canada.

Please accept our sincere apology. We truly appreciate your business.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Sandra L.
Lowe's Customer Care

And here is what I sent back:

You repeated word for word what was on the flyer that was given to me at the Orleans store.  Just to let you know, this action by Lowes has been noted in the military community via internet forums.  Safe to say that it hasn't gone over well.  I ask again,

1.  What was the "error"?

2.  What are "the number of reasons" that it will no longer be offered in Canada?

Further to this,

3.  Why is this offered to US servicemen/women and not to Canadian ones?

Prior to responding again, take note of this:  please don't insult my intelligence for repeating word for word again what I can clearly read on the flyer that was provided to me.  If you cannot answer as this is the "answer" that you are being told to give me, then don't bother answering at all.

Scoobs said:
Well, I emailed their "Customer Service" last night and today I got the response.  I am not sh*tting you, the Lowe's person literally repeated word for word what the flyer stated.  Here's a copy of my comments to them:

I am a member of the Canadian Forces, i.e. military for those who do not know what Canadian Forces means. I was in the Orleans, Ontario store today and asked if the military discount was still being offered. I was told that it was and was handed a flyer that stated that the discount was being discontinued as of 31 Oct 11 as this was done in "error" and for a "number of reasons" it won't be continued. I would like to know what the "error" was and what the "number of reasons are". I find it deeply insulting as a member of the military of a country that you want to expand into, especially when the Lowe's in USA still offer the discount. Are Canadian Forces' members anything less?

And here's what I received from Lowe's:

Hello *****,

We have offered a military discount at this store in the past. Regrettably this was done in error. For a number of reasons, this is not something we will continue to offer in Canada.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with by replying to this e-mail.

Thank you,

Sandra L.
Lowe's Customer Care

And here is what I sent back:

You repeated word for word what was on the flyer that was given to me at the Orleans store.  Just to let you know, this action by Lowes has been noted in the military community via internet forums.  Safe to say that it hasn't gone over well.  I ask again,

1.  What was the "error"?

2.  What are "the number of reasons" that it will no longer be offered in Canada?

Further to this,

3.  Why is this offered to US servicemen/women and not to Canadian ones?

Prior to responding again, take note of this:  please don't insult my intelligence for repeating word for word again what I can clearly read on the flyer that was provided to me.  If you cannot answer as this is the "answer" that you are being told to give me, then don't bother answering at all.
I'm guessing that they're not answering you... There's no right answer in my eyes.

Same here;

Hello Susan,

As a Veteran of the Canadian Military for 18, wounded in action, and working to help the ill and injured I can not accept that answer.

As of this point on, I shall not step into any store associated with the Lowes company.  I will also be posting this on various social media, to ensure all serving members, veterans and family members are aware of your company policy in Canada.

To have offered this in the United States, then here in Canada, then abruptly pull the discount claiming it was an "error" exemplifies the greed of your leadership today.  Remember, the very founder of your own company was a Veteran.  He laid his life on the line, like each and everyone of us, to allow you the freedom to practice such an enterprise.

Good day,

Sgt. John Tescione (RTD), CD

On 11-10-08 5:09 PM, "Lowe's Home Improvement" <cc_remedy@lowes.com> wrote:

Replied On  10/8/2011 5:09:13 PM---------------------------------------- 
Good afternoon John,

I apologize, but once a Lowes.com order has been placed, we are unable to change the store location on the order. I can have this order cancelled, so you may place it again through your preferred store location. If you would like for me to do so, please just let me know by replying to this email.

We have offered a military discount in the past. Regrettably this was done in error. For a number of reasons, this is not something we will continue to offer in Canada

At your request we will continue to offer this 10% military discount until Monday October 31st, 2011 when you present valid military ID.

Lowe's provides our customers the most competitive pricing in the marked and an everyday price match guarantee.

Thank you,

Susan A.
Lowe's Customer Care

Received On 10/08/11 08:52:19----------------------------------------
Hello,

Do you offer Military, or Veterans discounts in your Canadian stores?

Cheers

John Tescione, CD

NOTICE:
All information in and attached to the e-mail(s) below may be proprietary, confidential, privileged and otherwise protected from improper or erroneous disclosure.  If you are not the sender's intended recipient, you are not authorized to intercept, read, print, retain, copy, forward, or disseminate this message.  If you have erroneously received this communication, please notify the sender immediately by phone
(704-758-1000) or by e-mail and destroy all copies of this message (electronic, paper, or otherwise).  Thank you.

Worms,

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Same here;

Worms,

dileas

tess

That pisses me off, so I can't even imagine how you and many others like you feel about this move.  :mad:

Let's just hope this reaches High-end senior management, who is related to a Serviceman/woman, and they throw the hammer down saying something along the lines of: "Canadian... American... It doesn't matter what side of the border we're on - they're still Military personnel!"

Well, at least we have (few?) businesses of our own (or even could be American-based) that do provide generous discounts to you Ladies and Gentlemen that were, and are still, in uniform.  :salute:

Occam said:
Yeah, they're not playing well at all.  Thought they might've come back tonight, but it's not gonna happen.

Re: the discount - take a look at the press release dated February 10, 2010 on the Lowe's US website:

MOORESVILLE, N.C. – Lowe’s Companies, Inc. announced today it will expand its support of the military by offering an all day, every day 10 percent discount to all military personnel who are active, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members, with a valid, government-issued military ID card.

All other military veterans will receive the discount on the Memorial Day, Fourth of July and Veterans Day weekends.

Lowe’s was founded on the heels of World War II by veterans Jim Lowe and Carl Buchan and has always been a supporter of the military,” said Larry D. Stone, Lowe’s president and chief operating officer. “The year-round discount program is one way we are reaffirming our commitment to the thousands of men and women who are serving throughout the world, as well as their family members at home.

Unless you're a Canadian veteran, I guess.

Interesting change of events.  It has been for this discount that I have been going to Lowe's.

I notice in the link that you have provided that they consider themselves a "North American" company.  It would appear that Canada doesn't fit into their definition of their North America. 

About Lowe’s
With fiscal year 2008 sales of $48.2 billion, Lowe’s Companies, Inc. is a FORTUNE® 50 company that serves approximately 14 million customers a week at more than 1,700 home improvement stores in North America. Founded in 1946 and based in Mooresville, N.C., Lowe’s is the second-largest home improvement retailer in the world. For more information, visit Lowes.com. Follow us on Twitter @Lowes or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lowes.

Guess Rona and other stores will pick up Service Member and Veteran patronage.  Tough economic times forces one to be more fiscally conscious of their purchases.

Home Depot has the same 10% discount for serving members - here in the US.  Did I miss the part of this thread where Home Depot was bashed too?

Zoomie said:
Home Depot has the same 10% discount for serving members - here in the US.  Did I miss the part of this thread where Home Depot was bashed too?

Not at all; Home Depot USA may have a 10% discount, but Home Depot Canada has never had one (and consequently rescinded it due to "error").

Occam said:
Not at all; Home Depot USA may have a 10% discount, but Home Depot Canada has never had one (and consequently rescinded it due to "error").

Exactly.

Zoomie,

Rather than realizing the "Mistake" and swallowing the small lost, they chose to openly state it was a Mistake and rescinded the discount .  IT is not actual discount, but the fact that Military personel are treated no different than if they made mistake placing the wrong tag on a bag of fertilizer. Offering 10% off of incandescent bulbs instead of Fluorescent. Stating a shelving unit is made of oak instead of pine. Saying that offering a discount to Military personal, was a mistake, is the crux of it. I can survive paying the normal price, however, don't equate misinterpreting my service to my nation, as the same as marking the wrong price for perennials in October: A Mistake. Not getting 10% off does not hurt me, but obviously for this conglomerate it does. All we are asking is to show the respect we deserve. It is small acts like this, that erodes away the respect we Military, Veterans and families deserve, akin to the broken windows policy, in my opinion.

dileas

tess

Back