• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Louisiana Bans Using Cash In Sales of Second-Hand Goods

FlyingDutchman

Inactive
Reaction score
Now, normally I care little for laws in the states, but this one just seems so far off from left field and "what the hell were they smoking" that I had to share when it was forworded to me.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/10/20/louisiana-bans-using-cash-to-buy-second-hand-goods/

In a new law that could put every trading post, Goodwill, flea market, garage sale and Craigslist merchant in the state of Louisiana out of business, a bipartisan group of elected representatives has opted to ban all cash payments for the buying and selling of used goods.

Though House Bill 195 was intended to make iteasier to track the sales of stolen goods by giving police a paper trailtofollow,the unintendedconsequences could be much more widespread. Namely, the law requires second-hand sales be made paid for with credit cards, paper checks, electronic transfer or money orders. Cash isprohibited.

It was signed into law on July 1, but flew so far under the radar thatpractically nobodyinthe media noticed until this week, when Louisiana’s KLFY Eyewitness News 10 put a spotlight on the new rules and their likely impacts on local business.

The law also requires second-hand sellers to obtain personal information abouteachbuyer —information like names, addresses, driver’s license number and even, if applicable, their license plate number — and turn it over to state officials.

The prohibition on cash sales is confusing on its face, and appears to contradict the verytext on each FederalReservenote incirculation. “This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private,” U.S.dollars plainly state.

In a published opinion piece, attorneyThad D. Ackel, Jr. suggested that lawmakers have decided to sacrifice “individualprivacy, economic,civillibertyand freedom”inthe nameoflaw and order.

“Interestingly enough, although[p]awnshops are stillrequired to obtain clients personal information and transmit their client database information to law enforcement,theyare exempt from the restriction of cash payments,” he explained. “A jeweler next door to a pawnshop cannot offer clients the same payment method offered by its competing pawnshop neighbor.”

I can't imagine that this would survive a court challenge.

I can't imagine the State surviving all the productive business closing or relocating....

Granted I haven't made a detailed study and analysis of the fallout (intended or unintended) of this legislation but it seems to me that neither have many of the angry shouting classes who seemingly are proclaiming that "no cash will be allowed in sale of any second hand goods".  However, according to my cursory look at the actual text of this bill that is incorrect.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/billdata/byinst.asp?sessionid=11RS&billid=HB195 (emphasis mine)
§1864.3. Payment by check or money order required
A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for
the purchase of
junk or used or secondhand property
. Payment shall be made in the
form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or
used or secondhand property and made payable to the name and address of the seller.
All payments made by check, electronic transfers, or money order shall be reported
separately in the daily reports required by R.S. 37:1866.

My reading of this indicates that the only change will be that "secondhand dealers" (save licensed pawnbrokers and others who are exempt e.g. used car dealers and autowreckers) will have to use a non-cash (and thus trackable) form of payment when they "buy" items for resale.  The customer who comes in to buy used goods can still pay in cash.

This law is primarily amendments to previously in-force legislation. It is mainly (IMO) updating definitions and providing a number of exemptions as well as initiating a number of new reporting requirements that (again IMO) are probably useful in light of changes in how the (greymarket) economy functions.

Of course, there are major differences between Canada and the USA in how citizens perceive (and respond to) governmental control.

This sounds like a premature April Fool's joke.  Is there some sort of annual prank holiday involved that we don't know about?

Brad Sallows said:
This sounds like a premature April Fool's joke.  Is there some sort of annual prank holiday involved that we don't know about?

Sadie Hawkins?

Given the amazing record of collection by States which introduced "millionaire" taxes and "Amazon taxes" (Amazon closed shop and millionaires were nowhere to be found come next tax season), I suspect the State of Louisiana will be seeing a similar decline in tax receipts as people move or do business out of the State boundries.

Back