• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Looking for current Marksmanship Badges regs

Michael Dorosh

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Of someone could post for me the dress regulations concerning the wearing of marksmanship badges on the DEU Jacket,  I would appreciate it.

Army: marksmanship badges

Jacket, service dress

Sewn centred on the lower left sleeve,12 cm (4-3/4 in.) from the bottom of the sleeve to the lowest points of the badge

A-AD-265-000/AG-001
CANADIAN FORCES DRESS INSTRUCTIONS

3. Army marksmen of the rank of sergeant and below who have qualified as a first class shot or marksman, based on annual classification results for the service rifle, are authorized to wear the appropriate marksmanship badge, embroidered in CF gold on rifle green melton cloth, on service dress jackets (see Figure 3-6-3 and Annex F).

3F-1
ANNEX F
AWARD AND MARKSMANSHIP INSIGNIA

5. Army: marksmanship
badges

a. Jacket, service dress

(1) Sewn centred on the lower left sleeve, 12 cm (4-3/4 in.) from the bottom of the sleeve to the lowest points of the badge

Vielen Dank, now the tricky one - what does one need to do to qualify?

Am i right in that the crown is for first class shot, and the badge without crown is for marksman?

What are the standards? 

Am i right in that the crown is for first class shot, and the badge without crown is for marksman?
according to section 6 Figure 3-6-3 it would be the other way around.

Curious as well, being an annual qualification is there a limited time period in which you are entitled to wear these?

PIKER said:
according to section 6 Figure 3-6-3 it would be the other way around.

Curious as well, being an annual qualification is there a limited time period in which you are entitled to wear these?

It used to be if you qualified in the last six months of 2004, you wore the badge til 31 Dec 2005 - I think.  It was set up so you wore it for a calendar year, and then needed to requalify. I remember our CSM (now RSM) slicing off qualification badges from those that failed to requalify in the proper time.

Sucked if you missed the one range weekend of the year.  Not that I had to worry.  I only shot PWT Level II due to my trade; I think you need to do the level III to qualify for the badge?

If we could find one that could shoot well enough....... ;)

[ Had to type it before someone else did] :-[

Glorified Ape said:
Can officers not wear marksmanship badges?

No, including Warrant Officers.

I've seen them presented to officers, they just can't wear them on the uniform (!)

From the current Shoot To Live pam B-GL-382-001/PT-001 (found at the Army Electronic Library site) http://armyapp.dnd.ca/ael/

QUALIFICATION BADGES

19. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves the marksman's score with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 are considered a marksman and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles with crown badge.

20. All soldiers within the Army of the rank of Sergeant and below who achieves a pass with their personal weapon on the PWT 2 but did not achieve the marksman score are considered a first class shot and are authorized to wear the crossed rifles badge.

For the C7A1, PWT2 HPS is 55, Marksman is 46, and Pass is 33.

There is also a note on the Night Supplement for PWT 2 which states as follows:

3. A marksman from the daylight tests must achieve a pass on the night supplement in order to retain the marksmanship qualification.

Note there are also Marksmanship standards for the C9 and 9mm pistol if this is considered your personal weapon.

The full link for the pam is:
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/ael/pubs/300-008/B-GL-382/001/PT-001/B-GL-382-001-PT-001.pdf

Shot pretty good last year and asked to wear it. Nothing ever came of it. I'll write a memo this year.

Thanks for the info.

Recce 9C has it perfectly...I love it when people go to the source!

clarification: You CAN qualify for badges with a PWT II, you don't need the three. (from my understanding the III is the same but has a rundown). 

The night shoot is usually fun...

I qualified marksman last fall, and am going on the range ex in a few weeks. should be fun

So, wait, if I just PASSED my PWT III this year, I can still wear crossed rifles? Aren't you required to pass? This seems a lot like a gimme to me. Then again, it's not like I was presented with the badge, so I doubt I can just sew one on my uniform anyway.

combat_medic said:
So, wait, if I just PASSED my PWT III this year, I can still wear crossed rifles? Aren't you required to pass? This seems a lot like a gimme to me. Then again, it's not like I was presented with the badge, so I doubt I can just sew one on my uniform anyway.

If you qualified, sew it on, why does someone have to "present" it to you?

Well, if I'd qualified for a rank, I can't sew it on until I'd been promoted and presented with the rank.

combat_medic said:
Well, if I'd qualified for a rank, I can't sew it on until I'd been promoted and presented with the rank.

What does that have to do with a marksmanship badge you qualified for?

Pretty self explanatory I would say.....after jump # 5 one is technically qualified but just for fun start wearing your wings before you are presented with them. :rage:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Pretty self explanatory I would say.....after jump # 5 one is technically qualified but just for fun start wearing your wings before you are presented with them. :rage:

Not the same with marksmanship or trades badges, is it? 

And technically, is there anything in the various regulations that say you "have to" be "presented" with new rank insignia or jump wings?  I think it is a courtesy extending both ways to wait to have them presented to you; in the case of a promotion, you're not informed until the presentation is made so it is a moot point.  Technically speaking, is there really a requirement for a "presentation"?

Yes I'm reallly stuck on this one, does anyone yet really know if You can sew them on your own if you made the passing level????? Or do you need some sort of presentation which i have never seen done.

Back