• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics cap badge meaning

eady

Inactive
Reaction score
If this has already been answered somewhere, could someone please point me in the right direction! I've been searching for the description and meaning of the logistics cap badge for quite a few hours and yet it still seems to elude me. I apologize if it has already been asked and answered, but I would love to know exactly what the symbol stands for. I already am aware of the meaning of the latin saying though, just so everyone is clear.

The symbol is two links of a chain.  IIRC, the meaning behind it is that you are only as strong as the weakest link in the chain.

logisticscapbadge.gif

Fantastic! Thank you! Are there specific reasons for the colours or anything else of that sort? Curiosity gets to me sometimes.

/sits and waits for Vern to come in and tear us a new one....

I had been told that it came from a quote by Churchill about 'Logistics being the vital link in the chain of victory', but I have never been able to find the actual quote.

But, according to the Logistics Branch Handbook, para 210.

The symbol of the Logistics Branch, contained in the centre of our badge, is two interlocking chain links.  This "denotes the strength in the support provided to the operational elements of the Canadian Forces by the united  discipline".

logmaj said:
I had been told that it came from a quote by Churchill about 'Logistics being the vital link in the chain of victory', but I have never been able to find the actual quote.

"Victory is the beautiful, bright-colored flower. Transport is the stem without which it could never have blossomed."
That's from the RCASC:
https://sso-cal.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpo/mc/personal/collecting/stamps/archives/2001/2001_may_rcasc.jsf

logmaj said:
The symbol of the Logistics Branch, contained in the centre of our badge, is two interlocking chain links.  This "denotes the strength in the support provided to the operational elements of the Canadian Forces by the united  discipline".

mariomike said:
"Victory is the beautiful, bright-colored flower. Transport is the stem without which it could never have blossomed."
That's from the RCASC.

Both definitions made me smile to myself with wry cynicism. ;)

Whoa whoa!!! Who gave a logistic a gun?!?!?!  Don't you know that's how people get hurt??

Geez!

Bzzliteyr said:
Whoa whoa!!! Who gave a logistic a gun?!?!?!  Don't you know that's how people get hurt??

Geez!

Hey those are my paperclips Back off!!!! How else can i protect my post it's

WHERE oh WHERE is Vern when I need her to jump all over you smart-aleks?!?!  :threat: ... a pox on you! No support for you ... one year! (Log Nazi ... the CF version of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi)  ;)

"Without supplies, neither a General nor a soldier is good for anything." Clearchus of Sparta, 401 BC

"In war, logisticians determine who will win, then operators go forth and make it official." Field Marshal Irwin Rommel

"You can't have that, it's my last one!" (Overheard by me as I shake my head and put my hands over my ears) MCpl Clothing Stores I/C 1996-ish

You'll notice many of us are loggies that enjoy poking a little fun at the misconceptions that surround our trades.

Chapeski said:
You'll notice many of us are loggies that enjoy poking a little fun at the misconceptions that surround our trades.

Of COURSE, hence the tongue-firmly-in-cheek reply of mine ...

Excellent book on logistics is coming out in a week or two:

As anyone in a battle group can tell you, an armoured vehicle without ammunition or diesel is little more than one of the world's most expensive radios.

Getting those commodities to a fighting force in the field -- along with food, water, repair vehicles and the other necessities of life in combat -- is the job of the logistics corps.

A new book by a Royal Military College grad who was in charge of supply for Canada's mission in Afghanistan in 2006 paints a stark picture of the decline of that branch.

Lt.-Col. John Conrad, who graduated from RMC in 1987 and who has had several postings here since, will publish his memoir of the campaign next month.

"Combat logistics is not sexy and it is certainly not overcomplicated, but it will reach out and cut your throat if it is taken for granted in times of war," he writes inWhat The Thunder Said -- Reflections Of A Canadian Officer in Kandahar.

"And cut it did in Afghanistan in the early summer of 2006."

More:

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1583275

Back