• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living on ships...

:salute: thanks messmom :D Good info there, will be useful for my "do you know anything about the Canadian navy?" part of the interview tomorrow  ;D

I somehow forgot our commissioned brethern.....

Officers are generally two to a cabin, with a couple exceptions. The Supply Officer, aka The Supply Bob, gets a cabin to themselves since they have a nice shiny big safe. There are a couple cabins on frigates that have more than two bunks, for the most junior of officers. Cabin 0 has four bunks and Cabin 6/8 has six or eight bunks....... if memory serves.

Messmom said:
I somehow forgot our commissioned brethern.....

Officers are generally two to a cabin, with a couple exceptions. The Supply Officer, aka The Supply Bob, gets a cabin to themselves since they have a nice shiny big safe. There are a couple cabins on frigates that have more than two bunks, for the most junior of officers. Cabin 0 has four bunks and Cabin 6/8 has six or eight bunks....... if memory serves.

Cabin 0, also referred to as the Female Officer's Cabin, or the Tri-cabin, has 3 bunks. They are the same style as is found in the mess decks, as opposed to the fold-down kind found in the other cabins. Cabin 6/8 has 6 bunks, and is referred to as 6/8 because it was created by cutting down the wall between the former cabins 6 & 8, and adding another set of bunks where the door to former cabin 8 used to open.

And of course, the primary difference between cabins and messes are the desks, complete with ShipLAN laptops. These are there because cabins are both the living and work spaces for officers.

GCClarke: Another one of my absurd questions, but is any kind of internet provided for the enlisted during downtime? I ask only because I have seen it on US ships (can also be seen in many episodes of the documentary "Carrier"), and one of my primary forms of keeping in contact with friends is email :) I can do snail mail perfectly fine too  :warstory:

LordVagabond said:
GCClarke: Another one of my absurd questions, but is any kind of internet provided for the enlisted during downtime? I ask only because I have seen it on US ships (can also be seen in many episodes of the documentary "Carrier"), and one of my primary forms of keeping in contact with friends is email :) I can do snail mail perfectly fine too  :warstory:

There are laptops scattered throughout the ship, with internet access and e-mail, in various offices and workshops. I have never had much of a problem finding access whenever I had a few free minutes. Now these laptops are there primarily for actual administrative requirements, so the priority is given to those who need them for work. But when sailing, it usually isn't all that hard to find a spare one, especially in the evening.

As well, when sailing, you'll be issued a phone card, which can be used to access one of the three satellite phones. I forget exactly how much time you're given a week. Certainly not enough to spend all your spare time chatting with your loved ones, but enough to keep in touch and hear their voices. I think it's around half an hour a week.

But yes, in short, you will certainly have access to e-mail in order to keep in contract with your friends and family whilst sailing aboard one of HMC Ships.

I was close on the number of bunks in 0 and 6/8........ well the memory is the second thing to go.

And like gcclarke said, most spaces on board have access to the ShipLan, and some ships have a few bare bones PCs set up to allow those folks without regular access to email a place to keep in touch with the outside world.

Don't forget the other big difference between cabins and mess decks, the SINK!! LOL.

How much free time or vacation time do you typically get per year to spend time with your spouse or family?

nerdgirl said:
How much free time or vacation time do you typically get per year to spend time with your spouse or family?

You know, a lot of the answers to the questions you're asking are there if you search for them.

Under 5 years service = 20 working days annual leave
Over 5 years service = 25 working days annual leave
If you're around long enough to see 28 years service, you get 30 days annual leave.

nerdgirl said:

Now what does your question have to do with living onboard ships? use the search function as was already suggested.

Milnet.Ca Staff

What about personal laptops.  In the last two years the new net books have gotten smaller and cheaper.  Are they allowed to bring or are only CF issued computers allowed on deployment?  I only ask since I'm thinking of joining and I have both a laptop and net book.  I was a PI until I got layed off last month.  Also, about how big are the bunks as I am quite tall.

The_Unabooboo said:
  What about personal laptops.  In the last two years the new net books have gotten smaller and cheaper.  Are they allowed to bring or are only CF issued computers allowed on deployment?  I only ask since I'm thinking of joining and I have both a laptop and net book.  I was a PI until I got layed off last month.  Also, about how big are the bunks as I am quite tall.

Laptops are allowed. It's always good to be able to play a few games or watch a movie in your down time.

The bunks should be big enough to fit the vast majority of people. I suppose there's probably some who are tall enough that they have to curl up a bit. But, I've never actually measured them.

I remember hearing ( I guess it was a joke ) that some guys were disqualified from joining the submarine service because their lung capacities were too big. That they would breathe up too much air!  ;D

An apt and timely article for this thread, shared in accordance with the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act

Article link

Life on a warship

Published Monday November 2nd, 2009

By Lt. (Navy) BRIAN OWENS
HMCS Fredericton

Her Majesty's Canadian Ship Fredericton departed for the Arabian Sea and the Horn of Africa on a six-month deployment Oct. 25. It will work alongside our NATO and coalition partners, to conduct counter piracy and counter terror operations.

Over the next several weeks, The Daily Gleaner will be publishing articles from HMCS Fredericton detailing life onboard, the variety of situations the Navy works in, and some of the unique jobs that naval personnel do in their day-to-day lives serving Canada.

These articles will be written by the sailors, soldiers, airmen and airwomen who are on patrol in the region onboard Fredericton, the warship named after the New Brunswick capital.

This week marked the beginning of our journey towards the Arabian Sea. The North Atlantic has been quite rough. Since our departure we have seen the seas grow, from one to two metres, to our current seven metres.

However, it's extraordinary how a person can quickly adapt to these conditions and get their "sea legs.''

There are challenges to life at sea. The ordinary tasks you do every day come with a twist. To put it in comparison, imagine eating at your dinner table which is rising and lowering about two feet, left and right - now try to catch your food.

And when you go to sleep, you may buckle your seatbelt, just to be sure you don't fall out. Outside of the rocking and rolling, you need to get used to living in tight quarters with people you only just met.

You get one locker and one drawer to fit six months of clothing, toiletries, reading material, DVDs, etc. And you have to learn a completely different language - naval jargon. Call the galley a kitchen or your dobie your laundry and someone will quickly set you straight.

Life onboard a naval vessel also gives you a sense of teamwork and interdependency unlike any other career you would choose - and everyone has more than one role to play. Everyone is trained to fight fires. The cooks and stewards are also the casualty clearing team (first aiders) and meteorological techs run the mail.

You could soon need to rely on one of your shipmates for help or them of you.

In the coming weeks, you will see how HMCS Fredericton operates, the different things we do, the unique challenges and certainly some of the highlights of being in the Navy.

Just to expand a little on a previous response-Though personal laptops are fine, email is ONLY through shipboard computers for security reasons.
As for the bunk issue-I am 6'4" and 250+ lbs and the bunks are quite comfy-one may even say dreamy after one or two too many libations!!!
My first 2+ years in Halifax (Mar 1985 - Oct 1987), I actually lived on board - year round - believe it or not, I didn't save a bag of money as you might expect-You tend to go out more.
The food generally is fantastic (that question hasn't really come up??). There are  5 meals a day with various sittings for those meals. Thursday night is usually steak night but watch out - ice cream is usually a sign of coming bad news.
Hope this all helps!!

MARS said:
And you have to learn a completely different language - naval jargon. Call the galley a kitchen or your dobie your laundry and someone will quickly set you straight.

Errrrrrr, that's dhobey.

;D

Well, he is a PAO after all.  This could be his first time at sea.  Probably gets "all nighters" - scratch that, he likely gets "super all nighters".  Someone should expose him to the joys of middle watch shakes, and the inevitable greeting of "sorry, wrong rack".

;D

Pat in Halifax said:
As for the bunk issue-I am 6'4" and 250+ lbs and the bunks are quite comfy-one may even say dreamy after one or two too many libations!!!

I remember my Dad telling me about the hammocks back in the RCNVR days. I also remember a submariner in our neighbourhood ( he was visiting family ). He was a bit of a "stringbean", so we asked him about where he slept. He told us that he just stretched out in a torpedo tube!
Of course, being only about ten years old we believed him!

I was a misemployed airman on a few of Canada's navy ships.  I sailed  on HMCS Skeena, HMCS Preserver, HMCS Protectour and HMCS Ottawa. I enjoyed the messes and living with Navy lads. There was a lot of teasing going on but I did manage to become an honorary bosn on the Preserver. As a  SGT I had good accommodations in the messes except on the Skeena where  I was messed with Stokers so the the whole time we never had a light on in our mess.

MARS,
The author might be a PAO but I can guarantee you that he knows all about the joys of being shaken for the mids.  I sailed with him back in my skimmer days - before he decided to pull pin from a hard-sea trade and transfer PAO.  He had a lot TI and sea years.  I would imagine that now he has no shortage of super-alnighters -  but he probably appreciates it more than others!

Back