• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living on ships...

We are talking purely in our off time here. I have seen dust bunnies the size of...well...bunnies, when the lights finally come on!!! Somehow they are missed on evening rounds!!

Note to self: The XO can't see in the dark. Exploit for hilarious pranks.

I remember doing the 'rubber mouse on a string' thing numerous times. Most XOs ignored it for what it was - a select few got irate but it was ALL worth it for the one - Many years ago in 12 mess on GATINEAU when the XO ran up the ladder and down the flats screaming like a schoolgirl!!!!
Back on topic (and interesting note here). I just learned very recently why I don't sleep the first 72 hours or so after sailing - I always blamed the bunks and I would be awake for several days immediately after departure. Sometime late in day 3, I would sleep from sheer exhaustion. For years, I accepted it as a fact of life. Last fall however after joining a TGEX ship midway through that deployment, I realized that I NEVER drink coffee at sea - It has been DTs all along!!! Now that I know that - I am going to sea in a couple weeks and plan to ween myself off coffee prior to sailing to see if that works.

Oh man, I'm the complete opposite. While ashore, I only drink coffee on weekdays, and then, one, maybe two max a day.

At sea? I"m downing a good 4-5 cups a day. the convenience of free freshly ground coffee is just too much to resist, and let's face it, I usually need the perk-me-up. And then the Wardroom decided it was a good idea to get an espresso machine. Sheesh, it's a wonder I was able to get any sleep at all.

Coffee makes me pee - and peeing cuts into my sleep - unless a person is really, really drunk but let's not go there! Having fresh ground coffee might make a difference?? but I think for me, it is just a pain in the butt to carry around a mug. I do on occassion have a coffee but then it takes me a week to figure out where I left my mug. I found it once on TORONTO - problem is, I was on HALIFAX!!!!
We don't get the fancy stuff like the Wardroom does - We generally get coffee made 8 hours ago by some disgruntled AB/OS who hates all Chiefs and POs!!! Actually, they aren't all that bad and if there are any of you reading this, don't take it personally - Remember, I was once where you are now and I know ALL the tricks..and then some!!!!
As for espresso - come on, real men don't drink espresso!!!!! It's black or nothing!!!! Of course, in a foreign port, a couple ounces of Baileys is fine too - as long as you don't overdo it and suddennly forget how to walk - been there, done that!!!!

All this talk about shipboard bunks and no one mentioned that the old messes were wide open.  Not like the ones of today, where you are all boxed in and get no air movement when your curtin is closed.

I sure did miss the wide open messes.  I hated sleeping in the coffins.

Harley Sailor said:
All this talk about shipboard bunks and no one mentioned that the old messes were wide open.  Not like the ones of today, where you are all boxed in and get no air movement when your curtin is closed.

I sure did miss the wide open messes.  I hated sleeping in the coffins.

Between 50+ and 15 guys put me in a mess with 15 anytime.

And...I had someone in a foreign port once throw up into his buggery box (He was in a top bunk). The screen in the bottom of the buggery box filtered out the "floaties" - One guy 'painted 5 of us. No; echoing Ex-Dragoon, I too, will take my own enclosed little world.
I do agree with you a little about potential air quality issues but I think there is more to it. I don't believe that we clean as thoroughly as we used to. I recall as a LS spending the bulk of the 2 hour cleaning stations on my kness with a brillo pad and that old (stinky) deck cloth. Rounds were very involved and formal rounds were done much more often.
As a C2, I got to do evening at sea rounds for the lazy a** Cox'n (No offence Steve/Wally if you are reading here!!!!) and people seemed to get 'offended' if I got down on my hands and knees poking around. I will tell you too,  my flashlight was a whole bunch of candlepower and they didn't like that either. Pretty quickly, word spread to the Buffer that the CERA was being unfair and in one case, I believe the word anal was used. Good Buffer that he was though, insisted he and I do rounds together a couple of times - That went over really well!!!! I must say one thing here for all to hear - In general, the female mess(es) were generally the cleanest. I cannot speculate why this is so...and they definately smelled better (the messes you pigs, not the women!!!!)

Pat in Halifax said:
In general, the female mess(es) were generally the cleanest. I cannot speculate why this is so...and they definately smelled better (the messes you pigs, not the women!!!!)

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say both.

This leads me to ask two questions...

First, what is the PT situation like onboard a ship? Keep in mind I'm an ex-grunt and have been conditioned to spend any free time pumping iron or running/snowshoeing/x-country skiing when it's so cold the local wildlife is shuttin' 'er down cuz you NEED to be in shape when your vehicle is doing all the work for you (Mechanized Battalion, HUA). However, space must be pretty limited onboard, so what exactly does a guy have to work with?

Second, I don't drink often but when I do I like to get lit up. Now, I've heard some of the funniest stories of my life from an old Cox'n who CFR'd to Lt to round out his pension regarding drunken sailors. What I'm wondering is does this still occur and what are the ramifications if caught? Keep in mind I'm not planning on getting hammered and peeing my pants in front of everybody, but history has shown that, despite my best intentions, I have a true gift for drunken tomfoolery.

Thanks in advance.

PT - You've got the flight deck to run on.  You'll find treadmills/elliptical machines/stationary bikes in various places.  There's not much in the line of free weights, as they're a little dangerous when there is any rolling going on.

Booze - At sea, two beers per man per day perhaps.  Or wine if you drink it.  Any more than that and you risk running afoul of the "shall not be intoxicated at sea" and/or the "shall not have consumed alcohol in the x number of hours prior to going on watch" rule.  I'm fuzzy on the details, it's been a while.  That said, do sailors have more than two?  Sure, but you'd better have super all nighters and hope there aren't any drills in the middle of the night.

In foreign ports?  Give 'er.  ;D

PT - Also depends on what class of ship you are on and if they have a Helicopter embarked or not. In my experience, the tanker normally has the best gym as they have the largest hanger and wider flats throughout the ship. If a ship has a helo embarked, then unfortunately the gym kit may suffer, however we try our best to accommodate PT kit throughout the ship. The Tanker was the best for running on the deck, in my opinion, as you could run around the entire ship on the main deck. I would recommend against running on the steel deck personally as it is better for your body to run on the treadmills.  Steel doesn't have any give, therefore your body takes 100% of the force exerted.

Back