• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Living in Borden.

BlackBlade

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently awaiting my BMQ date, I have already been sworn in and actually I'm supposed to be already starting BMQ today. Due to a ankle fracture in Novemer it got postponed. Me and my RC are aiming for Feb 11th 2013 (on a side note anyone else going then?) Anyway back to the question at hand, I have looked all over this site for what living in Borden, On will be like, all I find is BMQ nothing about what's after. If it helps I'm going in as. Aviation Technition. So if someone could please answer me tht would be awesome!
:camo: :cdn:

Youtube ... "CFSATE"

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZU0KDZhuvE

Isnt BMQ done in St-Jean first at the leadership school?

Bam said:
Isnt BMQ done in St-Jean first at the leadership school?

I believe reserves in the GTA have the option to do a full time BMQ course. If my facts are right it's held at CFB Borden.

Brandontp said:
I believe reserves in the GTA have the option to do a full time BMQ course. If my facts are right it's held at CFB Borden.

Yes I am going the reserves, I am going my full BMQ in St-Jean on Feb 11th. I am then going to Bordon to do my Q3? or something i forget what the recruitment centre called it. Everything is the same for me as the reg force guys do until i come back to Shearwater then i will only work part-time, until i get accepted for full reg force.

http://www.borden.forces.gc.ca/998/89/46/50-eng.asp  <<< Has great food when you're able to go there. 

That's all I really know about Borden, and I lived there for a year.

Pandora114 said:
http://www.borden.forces.gc.ca/998/89/46/50-eng.asp  <<< Has great food when you're able to go there. 

That's all I really know about Borden, and I lived there for a year.

Thanks, ill check it out. But where do you stay? I currently have a lease here, and my GF is staying here as well so is there accommodations at base or do we find our own place?

BlackBlade said:
Thanks, ill check it out. But where do you stay? I currently have a lease here, and my GF is staying here as well so is there accommodations at base or do we find our own place?

Not there anymore.  Was there years ago when my husband was on his AVS.  I'll probably *knock on wood* be going there for my 3's this coming fall if all goes well.  (RMSCLERK Reserves)

We lived in the PMQ's since it was for over a year, Husband was on IR in Kingston for his POET, came home every weekend, and then he was on his AVS 3's and 5's in Borden.  I think there's either cheap 1br apartments in Alliston or Angus that you can rent out, ask around, grab a local paper.  That way when you're in the shacks, your gf is close by when you're able to go have a bit of extra time.    Barrie has some decent shopping and food btw, there's also Wasaga Beach for the summers, they have some great paint ball from what I hear. 

Pandora114 said:
Not there anymore.  Was there years ago when my husband was on his AVS.  I'll probably *knock on wood* be going there for my 3's this coming fall if all goes well.  (RMSCLERK Reserves)

We lived in the PMQ's since it was for over a year, Husband was on IR in Kingston for his POET, came home every weekend, and then he was on his AVS 3's and 5's in Borden.  I think there's either cheap 1br apartments in Alliston or Angus that you can rent out, ask around, grab a local paper.  That way when you're in the shacks, your gf is close by when you're able to go have a bit of extra time.    Barrie has some decent shopping and food btw, there's also Wasaga Beach for the summers, they have some great paint ball from what I hear.

Thank you  that's exactly the answer i was looking for! I can be prepared for that. I don't think my GF will visit too often she will be here in Halifax, but thanks for the advice though i really appreciate it.

There are no more Reg Force BMQ's in Borden, they are all done at St-Jean now, as of this past winter.

As someone waiting for your QL3's you will be living in shacks. Building A-152, if I remember correctly. One of the CFSATE guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe your rooms in shacks are shared with 3 other people. That's the way it was when I was in Bldg A-151. You will be 100m from the mess hall which you will still be paying for 3 meals a day, regardless if you eat it. Food is better than St-Jean, IMO, but you still get tired of it pretty quick. The gym is a 2 minute drive or a 12ish minute walk from your building. It's a life saver to have a vehicle, or at least a good friend that has one.

It is possible, depending on your school and CoC, to submit a memo and get permission to live off base in an apartment with your wife/husband/common law partner. The fee for Rations and Quarters would then not be charged to you.

I didn't enjoy staying in shacks in Borden, but it wasn't terrible. A lot depends on the people who share your room. I was lucky to get 3 great guys and only two of them were usually there. You don't want to be there long though. I liked the base, for the most part, and Barrie is a nice city/town. Has everything you need. I would take a posting back to Borden if it were offered to me.

PS- Tuesdays are cheap movie knights at the Cineplex (Half price tickets).

So you know, Borden has the best paintball field around.  I'm a 43 year old medic living in Alliston who's trying to get into the CF as a med tech.  That's besides the point though...

Borden Paintball Club, on Dieppe Road operates from March till December.  Cheapest paint around, military rates too.  Check us out on Facebook "The Real Borden Paintball".

Lived here all my life, lots to do, easy access, goo accommodation but you have to look.  With Honda so close by, rent can be steep, but good deals are out there. 

Let me know if you need any further intel.

Back