• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Listen more Shoot less

Wizard of OZ

Inactive
Reaction score
Listen more, shoot less, says peace adviser: Otherwise, he says, Canada will remain tied up in an unwinnable war

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Military tactics that don't differentiate between terrorists and Afghans with legitimate complaints are driving new recruits into the arms of al-Qaeda, warns a Canadian who is an adviser to a peace commission sanctioned by the Afghan government.

Dr. Seddiq Weera says Canada will be embroiled in an unwinnable war in the South Asian country if it does not push for more diplomacy and negotiations to deal with the legitimate grievances of many Afghan groups.

"You bomb them, you shoot them, you don't invite them to tell you why they are unhappy," said Dr. Weera, who is usually based in Kabul, but is on a brief visit back to Canada.

"You have no mechanism for consultation or negotiations. The only thing you have is either 'be a peaceful citizen and follow the government or we will kill you.'

"Aren't we creating more sympathizers?" he added. "Aren't we supplying al-Qaeda with more Afghans?"

Dr. Weera, who was imprisoned for four and a half years for taking part in the resistance against the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s, meets with Foreign Affairs officials in Ottawa today. Before coming to Canada, he was a member of the 1989-1991 Afghan interim government in exile that was based in Pakistan.

Dr. Weera is currently a board member and technical adviser to the Independent National Commission on Strengthening Peace in Afghanistan, but points out that his views are his own.

He said the Canadian military is needed in the country and has done good work. But Dr. Weera notes there has been too much emphasis on combat operations.

Western nations, he said, do not want to acknowledge that when troops went into Afghanistan in late 2001 to destroy al-Qaeda bases, they arrived in the middle of a civil war. U.S. troops joined forces with the Northern Alliance, whose members currently dominate today's Afghan government and are considered in the West as "the good guys," Dr. Weera said.

But he points out that there is no black and white situation in Afghanistan. Previously when they were in power, members of the Northern Alliance raped hundreds of women. When the Taliban came to power, their members beat hundreds of women.

Today, there are drug lords and war criminals serving in the Afghan parliament. There are also war criminals and drug lords associated with the Taliban as well as another opposition group, Hezb-e-Islami.

He said people in southern Afghanistan have concerns that those from the north control many of the police and government positions as well as receive the bulk of money to finance aid projects. Whether these complaints are legitimate is not clear, but Dr. Weera said some effort has to be made to discuss such concerns.

Dr. Weera said if that is not done, foreign soldiers will not see any victory in Afghanistan.

Open to your thoughts on the subject. 

So aside from criticism, what's he bringing to the table?

That's what I was thinking. Lots of criticism, finger pointing and generalities, but no real solutions or courses of action. Basically, it just reeks of political agenda, not true concern. Someone with a personal axe to grind over there, and trying to get the Canadian gov't to spotlight his particular agenda.

He thinks we should be in our happy happy joy joy blue monster costumes.

To respond - it's hard to listen over the inbound crack/thumps and booms.

MM

I understand what he's saying, but then so does EVERY CANADIAN SOLDIER.

We all know how hard we work to cooperate with local civilian authorities, village elders, mullahs, pirs, etc. How much time we spend asking what the problems in the area are, and trying to find ways to alleviate them. How much Aid we deliver. How often we liase with NGOs to coord our efforts.

Dude's trying to sell something.

What he really needs is to take off the blinders and put on his "3D" (Defence, Development, Diplomacy) glasses and then the other two parts of our Afghanistan mission will suddenly swim into focus.

It would be interesting to dig deeper and find out what his real agenda is.......

[quote author=
[/quote]

Its hard not to shoot back when your being shot at. Maybe he can preach his suggestion to the Afghans if its that simple.

It seems as if they want us to talk and be friendly without defending ourselfs.  I don't think the Canadian troops on routine patrol are going around shooting at people.  That being said, when they go on the offensive to find the sneaky Bas%^rds i have no problem with us being the first to fire.

Hindsight is always 20/20 and it is easy for people not in a situation to Monday QB it after the event is done.

MOO

I find it funny that so many people actively protest the war in Afghanistan, yet when asked simple questions about the mission, there are no answers, just  Canadian Soldiers are dying and we should just pull out, this is not our war. I found this quote a long time ago by Martin Luther King Jr. and I keep with me everyday.  "If a man has not found something for which he is willing to die, he is not fit to live.  If a man refuses to stand up for what he believes in order to that he may live a few years longer, that man dies and when is actual physical death comes the cessation of breathing is merely a belated announcement of an earlier death of the spirit."  So many people want to hide their heads in the sand and pretend that terrorism does not exist instead of taking a stand.  The Canadian public would rather live a couple more years encased in the bubble of a world pretending that Canadians are caught up in an unjustly war that has nothing to do with them, up until the day when the war is not longer being fought in Afghanistan but rather in our homeland.  Canadian soldiers are not going to pull out of Afghanistan because of the some casualties were taken we are going to stand and continue our struggle and our fight unlike the cowards who protest the war who probably back down the as soon as push comes to shove.
The fact is, this is our war but it has to be fought with unity within the world.  I want Canadian Troops out of Afghanistan as well, although we have a task to do and when that task is done, that is when we will come home.

Dr. Weera is a Polaris Institute fellow-traveller and has a very political agenda.  He's been beating "Talk to the Taliban" drum for some time and is a darling of the anti-war movement as a result.  He was, at one time (I can't find evidence that he is now) connected with the peace group at McMaster University.  See here for his bio:

http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~mpeia/projectteam2.html

Just because someone is from Afghanistan doesn't mean they don't have a left-wing political agenda.

More on McMaster's "work" (although I notice that they don't call for an immediate withdrawal of the CF...):

http://www.peacemagazine.org/archive/v22n4p08.htm

He'll be out demonstrating with the CPA on 28 Oct, I'm sure.

I swear all these groups must have the same publicist working for them because other than changing the wording, it ALL SOUNDS THE SAME. Sell me a reason as to why we should pull out other than "it's not OUR war", or list a few options of helping the afghani people.

It's really starting to sound like a broken record now.

Back