• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life in the old turret and tracks yet

MarkOttawa

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Fallen Comrade
Reaction score
AW&ST piece notes the relevance of tanks in Afstan, quite a bit on Canada:

Future of Main Battle Tank Looks Secure
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/dti/2011/02/01/DT_02_01_2011_p39-284185.xml

The decision late last year by the U.S. Marine Corps to send a tank platoon to Afghanistan was criticized by some analysts, who rejected the idea that M1A1 Abrams tanks could be useful in a counterinsurgency (COIN) environment.

But for all the talk in recent years of the civilian population representing a center of gravity in COIN operations, and the corresponding need to cut back on air strikes, long-range artillery fires and other initiatives, one aspect of COIN has often been ignored—even with the outreach, local alliance-building and efforts to spare civilians from the ravages of war, the need remains to kill the enemy.

As such, what the Marines are doing in southern Afghanistan with a platoon of tanks is hardly unusual. Main battle tanks (MBT) have been used successfully by the Canadians and the Dutch in southern Afghanistan, and by the Israelis, who learned hard lessons from bitter fighting in Lebanon in 2006, and went in heavy in Gaza in 2008-09...

In Afghanistan, the Canadians and Dutch have used tanks to great effect—even providing fire support for British troops. Canadian Army Maj. Trevor Cadieu wrote in The Canadian Army Journal that after the Canadians deployed a squadron of Leopard 2 tanks to Kandahar in December 2006, “the tank squadron and armored engineers featured prominently in all major combat operations . . . Since May 2007, the tank squadron has fought almost constantly alongside Canadian and Afghan infantry in close combat with the Taliban.”

The Canadians found so much success in Afghanistan with the German-made Leopard tank that they revised plans for the structure of their ground forces. In 2001, Canada decided not to replace its aging Leopard I tanks, but to ride them until they died and transition to a lighter force structure using the Stryker-like light armored vehicle (LAV) infantry carriers as their heaviest equipment. It wasn’t long before the powerful roadside bombs Canadian troops encountered in southern Afghanistan changed this, prompting Ottawa to start a crash program to buy surplus German and Dutch Leopard 2 tanks, which began arriving in Afghanistan in 2008.

The Dutch had much the same experience with the Leopard 2 in Afghanistan, claiming that the tank’s 120-mm. gun is so accurate it minimizes civilian casualties...

Mark
Ottawa

I know it is easy to confuse the Dutch with the Danes: they both come from small countries; have a predilection for good beer and mumble gutterally after the fashion of a backed up toilet..... However I do believe it was the Danes and not the Dutch who were using Leos along with the Canadians.

Yep, they had 5 Leo2A5DKs up in Helmand. The Dutch had Pzh2000s up in Uruzgan.

Kirkhill: Quite so, should have caught that myself.

But the Dutch did have the PzH-2000NL:
http://www.dutchdefencepress.com/?p=1105

images

Mark
Ottawa

One did know that ::).  And I've never called an M113 a tank, nor a frigate a battleship.

Mark
Ottawa

Switzerland Transfers 12 Leopard 2s to Canada
February 14, 2011
Article Link

Implementing the Armed Forces 95 and Armed Forces XXI programs, Switzerland is phasing out some of its heavy armor units. As part of this program Bern will transfer 12 Leopard 2 main battle tanks (Pz 87 Leo) to Canada. More of of the Swiss Pz 87 Leo fleet was therefore mothballed at various storage sites.

In recent years Canada has acquired surplus Leopard 2 tanks from a number of European countries, supporting its military operations in Afghanistan. 100 tanks (80 Leo 2A4, 20 Leo 2A6) were bought from the Netherlands in 2007. Twenty additional Leopard 2A6M were ‘borrowed’ from Germany from mid-2007 to support the Canadian deployment in Afghanistan, along with two Bergepanzer 3 Büffel (Buffalo) armored recovery vehicles. Canada has also acquired 15 German Army surplus Leopard 2A4 tanks to be used for spare parts. According to the Swiss Government announcement, the Swiss tanks to be delivered to Canada will be converted into support vehicles. The tanks are being transferred from Switzerland were stripped of the armament, radio-and intercom systems, to be used as spare parts for the Swiss Armed Forces.

Switzerland has bought 380 Leopard 2 tanks from Germany (of which 345 were locally built in Switzerland) to equip its heavy mechanized units; these tanks were delivered between 1987 and 1993. 134 of the tanks went through mid-life upgrade program in 2006. As part of the current force reduction, 12 tanks were converted into armored engineer and mine clearing vehicles designated “Pionierpanzer 3 Kodiak”, a combat engineering and mine-clearing vehicle, supporting the mechanized brigades.
Little More on link

Back