• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Life as an Infantry Soldier?

"ring... ring!!"  Geez, I just heard the Call to arms.  The more stuff like this I read, the more I look forward to the life.... Come on Borden medical people.... my files in there somewhere!!

I totally agree with you Ex Coelis, exactly what I was thinking but was too tired to express.  Too often this profession is treated simply as a job and when the going gets tough, the wanna-be's shut'er down.  I wish I could say that it will get better.....fact is that it keeps getting worse...

MikeM said:
You sign a contract.
Im thinking of joing the forces, Im currently in cadets what can i do to prepare myself for any obsticle i may encounter....   

wanna_B,

I would suggest you start by reviewing the many threads linked from the Recruiting FAQ, they cover a lot of information relevant to anyone thinking about joining the Army. You may want to start with the sections Thinking About Joining, Recruiting Process and Fitness.:

Recruiting FAQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html

There is also a Trades FAQ - http://army.ca/forums/threads/17703.0.html

Also, the Infantry FAQ has many interesting topics if that is your area of interest - http://army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Lastly, there is much relevant information about the CF and service in the Army, the search function may be found in the upper left of each forum page, or through the Advanced search feature - http://army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

excoelis said:
The Army and particularily the Infantry is NOT a job - it's a way of life.  If you don't feel the calling to do something noble and rewarding with your life - that might just make the world a better place for generations to come - then find a 'real' job.
If you find that you have trouble subjugating your personal needs to that of the Country's, or more specifically the 'Green Machine', then it probably isn't the life for you.  There are a lot of people in the CF right now that are probably having trouble dealing with the moral issue of deploying to the field (because it's inconvenient to their personal life, family, educational obligations, etc....) or even with operational deployments, because more often than not they are conducted in some of the most austere conditions, surrounded by people that may not appreciate your efforts.
So if you aren't willing to put your life on the line, be it in training or on operations, then it's probably not a good idea to join.  The real test is that you may have to sacrifice everything and recieve no public recognition, respect, or perhaps even acknowlegement.  That's one of the joys of being Canadian.  All the pride, integrity, and gratification you experience may have to come directly from within you or the unit you become a part of.
.................then the profession of arms probably isn't for you!
If all this sounds like ONE heck OF A RIDE........... and your willing to DRIVE 'ER TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF..............
.................then maybe you hear 'the call to arms'.

Very well said
-Spooks

This thread, surprisingly, has helped me in my path to the CF.... I was considering everything at the start of this year, and have narrowed down to either the Infantry or the Armored Corps. I should mention as well that I am applying to the CF as a DEO in January 2006. My question to this thread is in either MOC (Armor or Infantry), what can an *officer* expect for a typical day? I've heard that the armored life is 90% paperwork, 10% fieldwork  :p  :salute: I am looking for a challenging, rewarding experience from my life in the forces, and the ability to have fun and shoot stuff too  ;D

LordVagabond said:
..........what can an *officer* expect for a typical day? I've heard that the armored life is 90% paperwork, 10% fieldwork   :p   :salute: I am looking for a challenging, rewarding experience from my life in the forces, and the ability to have fun and shoot stuff too   ;D

Well sadly to say, that is about it.  None of the Combat Arms lives full time in the Field.  The SIMPLIFIED VERSION is that most of your time is spent in Garrison.  Officers stay in offices and do administration.  The men work on maintaining their vehicles, weapons, and soldier skills in lectures and training simulators. 

Well, I have no problem doing paperwork  :p I'm a freakin University student, we get enough as it is just to get a student loan o_O

What I meant is that I know it's mostly tedium, but I would expect an officer to partiticipate with his/her soldiers in some daily routine/training/excercises. The challenge I speak of is the challenge of leadership in an important role, such as a Canadian Forces officer. I don't want to sit in an office in a shirt and tie counting ceramic sherds and labelling and numbering them (such is the life for a man/woman with a B.A. in Archaeology), I wann be in an officer (and in the field) where I actually have a position of responsibility and duty. That's not just me geekspeaking, that's honestly and seriously what I want to do in life. I want to command and take care of people under me. :salute:

Unfortunately, using KISS again, that is what you have to look forward to.   Officers are very seldom involved in the training of ttheirtroops; that is the NCOs job.   You will have the office to manage the UERs and Course Loading of your troops.   You will have to ensure their welfare is looked after career wise.   Your chances of actual Leading of Men in battle is limited to patrols on Tour or Exercise; that 10% of what you mentioned before.   Perhaps, this is the reason you will find many in the Ranks who hold University Degrees and don't want to be officers at this stage of their lives.

I do appreciate the replies guys. Thank you.  :salute: :cdn:

I still want to serve as an officer  8) I mean, come on.... what other job of responsibility out there feeds you, clothes you, houses you, gives you a superb pension by the time you're 45, lets you use explosives and firearms, and lets you travel to weird and wonderful locations around the world?  :salute: Granted, those weird and wonderful locations may be filled with people wanting to kill you and your soldiers, but that's a small sacrifice to make for service to Her Majesty and the country of Canada

Anyways, I am thread wanking, so I'll shut up and let the topic resume its original course  ;D :D

I was wondering...while on duty and there's NOTHNIG to do...would you be allowed to say..bring your laptop or something?

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:

MikeM said:
You sign a contract.

Didn't we all.  I remember seeing my name next to the date Sept. 13, 2024.

OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE? ??? ;)

ThatsLife said:
I was wondering...while on duty and there's NOTHNIG to do...would you be allowed to say..bring your laptop or something?

:cdn: :skull: :cdn:

I've done that a couple of times. they frown upon it if you bring a laptop or a cd player. but a deck of cards, or a book is fine by anyone I've worked with so far.
speaking of which, I got to bring a book today.
Greg

excoelis said:
The Army and particularly the Infantry is NOT a job - it's a way of life.  If you don't feel the calling to do something noble and rewarding with your life - that might just make the world a better place for generations to come - then find a 'real' job.

The CF can be used as an extension of Canada's foreign policy and will be called upon by the Canadian public to conduct a myriad of domestic and foreign operations, sometimes on a moments notice.  In my not-so-humble opinion, garrison routine can be equated to battle procedure for operations, and  should be treated as such and looked upon with that mentality.  I don't think the Canadian public shells out their tax dollars so that we can sit around in Canada indefinitely.  I don't think that the Canadian public expects soldiers to collect what amounts to a pretty damn good salary, year in and year out, under the premise that each individual gets to choose their courses, tasks, operations, etc...

If you find that you have trouble subjugating your personal needs to that of the Country's, or more specifically the 'Green Machine', then it probably isn't the life for you.  There are a lot of people in the CF right now that are probably having trouble dealing with the moral issue of deploying to the field (because it's inconvenient to their personal life, family, educational obligations, etc....) or even with operational deployments, because more often than not they are conducted in some of the most austere conditions, surrounded by people that may not appreciate your efforts.

Then there is always the issue of people trying to kill you and your buddies in the performance of your duty!

So if you aren't willing to put your life on the line, be it in training or on operations, then it's probably not a good idea to join.  The real test is that you may have to sacrifice everything and receive no public recognition, respect, or perhaps even acknowledgement.  That's one of the joys of being Canadian.  All the pride, integrity, and gratification you experience may have to come directly from within you or the unit you become a part of.

As far as tempo goes: //edit - I think the target audience go the point//.

All this to say that if you lack work ethic, don't have your personal affairs wired tight, lack personal pride and motivation, lack initiative, aren't interested in Canada and the world's affairs, can't stay in shape, can't work as part of a team, can't consider putting your life on the line in the relentless pursuit of the mission.................

.................then the profession of arms probably isn't for you!

If all this sounds like ONE HELL OF A RIDE........... and your willing to DRIVE 'ER TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF..............

.................then maybe you hear 'the call to arms'.

Just one soldiers opinion.  Some would argue I'm RTF out to lunch.  Some would agree.  At the end of the day though...........I would argue that it takes a special kind of person to tolerate the trials and tribulations of military service.

Good luck in your decisions.  Don't take them lightly!

To me.....if that quote isn't inspirational I don't know what is. I wish I could put it up on my wall. After much thought continuously being in the back of my head....I decided to make the decision to join a local regiment as a reserve. Part of my decision to get into the CF process of application is because I want to display some of my personal character attributes in a world stage and through camaraderie of the men and women that are the glue of the CF. I'm very patriotic to my country of birth and my country I now call home. My thinking of joining became very strong after the boys got shipped to Afghanistan to maintain stability and Veterans that I walk pass in downtown Toronto and probably not even aware of it except Remembrance day or D-Day-VE Day. One way of returning my thanks to the men and women is to participate...not to sit at home and let life pass me by. Anybody that knows me would tell you that just isn't me. For now its reserves till I complete my education...Nothing but RESPECT Excolis. Cheers!  :salute: :cdn:

I must agree with Fideo. That was a very uplifting and pride filling statement. Gives me more determination to get into shape for when I go to enlist. Trust me when I say this. With members on the forums posting lines of that inspirational outlook it gives it's readers more motivation and determination then saying to yourself I will do this. Now I am saying I will do this for my country. It may sound corney to some but when someone has pride and defends his beliefs it means the world to hear something inspirational every once and awhile from someone in service.

Hey everyone I'm new to the forums, so i'll tell a little about my self and then ask my question, im 19 male from montreal and I just applied for the army infantry and I got my cfat on feb 2nd, I have wanted tojoin the army my whole life and have studied alot about it but I still don't know one thing, what does a reg infantry soldier do during the day when he's not on an op and not delpoyed somewhere? what is the day to day job and schedual? thanks for your replys

A few links to start with:

Forums main page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php

Combat Arms board - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,41.0.html

Infantry sub-board - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,4.0.html

Infantry FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

First section in FAQ - Soldier and the Infantry

First thread in section -

Average Day For Infantry?  --  http://army.ca/forums/threads/1897.0
(4 pages, 45 replies, last post 12 Aug 2005)

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

To summarize. Welcome to Army.ca, start reading.

cihmitb said:
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums, so i'll tell a little about my self and then ask my question, im 19 male from montreal and I just applied for the army infantry and I got my cfat on feb 2nd, I have wanted tojoin the army my whole life and have studied alot about it but I still don't know one thing, what does a reg infantry soldier do during the day when he's not on an op and not delpoyed somewhere? what is the day to day job and schedual? thanks for your replys

Umm with 10 posts  dating back to 2004, you are hardly new....

Ya I made my account awhile ago and posted a few times but then stoped and havn't been on for over a year so I figured I would start from scratch lol. well thanks for the info its much appreciated. cheers

Back