• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals look to shorten MP's workweek to 4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupersonicMax

Army.ca Veteran
Mentor
Reaction score
So, the Libs are looking to make the parliament more family friendly by cutting the work week to 4 days.  Really?!

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics/mps-family-friendly-1.3464459

When I see video of Members of Parliament addressing a nearly empty House, I have to ask, where are all the other Members?  If they can not attend the House for five days a week, where are they and why do they have the NERVE to ask to work only four days?  For the amount of time that they are absent from the floor of the House, they should be "FINED".  It is ridiculous for this initiative of a four day work week in the House to be even brought up.  The amount of absentees is disgraceful and we the tax payers are paying for them.

There's roughly 830 people in Kuwait/Iraq, and another Coy(+) in Ukraine that would love to work 4 day weeks, and not miss family events. Very few of them are also making $150K a year.

On the positive side, if it means that they do one-fifth less "work", then that's a benefit to this Country that I'll gladly support.

Heck, take seven days off a week, every week, MPs. The Country will run a lot better.

I am actually ok with this.

It (hopefully) gets MPs out of the Ottawa bubble more often and back in their ridings, speaking to real folks.

Plus, most of what happens in the HoC is an unmitigated waste of time.

trudeau%2Bcon%2Bfacebook.jpg

Parliament should sit a few weeks a year... just enough to pass a budget, pass some major legislation that the country actually needs and to have the government account for itself for the time between parliamentary sessions.  Full time politicians is why we end up with an entitled political class that does nothing but mire the economy in utter sewage (see Ontario, Alberta et al).  Let them earn a living outside Parliament and a stipend for the work they do as MPs.  We might get a better political class.

He who governs least, governs best.

It is easy to take shots at MPs, especially about their workload and the CPAC broadcasts of a nearly empty house do not help. However, most of a MP's work is not in the house, playing a trained seal. If your MP is any good, and mine is, he or she is busy researching issues, working on committees and, most important, sorting out constituents' issues with the bureaucracy. On the weekends much of the time is attending everything from the opening of an envelope on up.

The average MP works a heck of a lot more than the standard 37.5 hour week, and is always on call. Still, politicians are not conscripted. For the life of me, I cannot understand how anybody would go into a line of work with few rewards and a permanent posting to the butt party of the political grenade range. My grandfather was the reeve of a Southern Ontario rural township (with a term as the county warden) with perks like ensuring the snow ploughs always did our road last. If not, there were lots of people to complain loud and long about how poorly they were treated compared to him, who was getting preferential treatment. I'm sure the other people who lived on our road appreciated being snowed in just as much as we did.

SeaKingTacco said:
I am actually ok with this.

It (hopefully) gets MPs out of the Ottawa bubble more often and back in their ridings, speaking to real folks.

Plus, most of what happens in the HoC is an unmitigated waste of time.

Do they not have enough BREAKS in Parliament to do just that?

It is not like they are sitting for 365 days of the year in Ottawa, doing their week day time on the Hill.

cavalryman said:
Parliament should sit a few weeks a year... just enough to pass a budget, pass some major legislation that the country actually needs and to have the government account for itself for the time between parliamentary sessions.  Full time politicians is why we end up with an entitled political class that does nothing but mire the economy in utter sewage (see Ontario, Alberta et al).  Let them earn a living outside Parliament and a stipend for the work they do as MPs.  We might get a better political class.

He who governs least, governs best.

Works for Switzerland and that is exactly the reason that their legislators are part-time. When your day job is a real job, it keeps you honest, grounded, and connected to the real world.

ballz said:
Works for Switzerland and that is exactly the reason that their legislators are part-time. When your day job is a real job, it keeps you honest, grounded, and connected to the real world.
That would be nice.

ballz said:

I had no idea. Interesting.

Loachman said:
On the positive side, if it means that they do one-fifth less "work", then that's a benefit to this Country that I'll gladly support.

Heck, take seven days off a week, every week, MPs. The Country will run a lot better.

He thinks the budget will balance itself. Why wouldn't he think the House will run itself? Oh wait, the House has a referee Speaker.

PuckChaser said:
There's roughly 830 people in Kuwait/Iraq, and another Coy(+) in Ukraine that would love to work 4 day weeks, and not miss family events. Very few of them are also making $150K a year.

You forgot the HMCS Fredericton and her 300 +/- pers.

I pray the CPC gets better attack ads for the 2019 election if I'm stuck hearing for months, maybe years, after the election.

Lame and ineffective as they were.

Old Sweat, Sea King TACCO and cavalryman are right: Most MPs work very hard for their constituents; less time "sitting" means the MP can be more effective; reducing the parliamentary "season" (maybe two or three short "seasons") would be worth, at least, a try ~ Switzerland and Texas do it. It would make life a bit harder for the civil service but they (except for the senior ranks (DMs and ADMs) are well enough paid to manage.

Just to be sure, they are talking about shortening their work week so they can spend more time with their families, not working for their constituents...

E.R. Campbell said:
reducing the parliamentary "season" (maybe two or three short "seasons") would be worth, at least, a try ~ Switzerland and Texas do it.

Spent a few years living in Texas. Using Texas as a model for Canada of any political inspiration makes my hair stand on end.

Can we not agree that being a MP is very stressful on families and modern means of communication makes PM Trudeau's idea more feasible.

Baden Guy said:
Can we not agree that being a MP is very stressful on families and modern means of communication makes PM Trudeau's idea more feasible.

So are hundreds of other jobs, and none of them are able to change the rules whenever they want to get more time off, and still make the same money. The fact that we have so many modern means of communication makes it exactly the reason why this is a stupid idea in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back