• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals announce $1.24B sole-sourced deal to upgrade search and rescue helicopter fleet

Elon Musk pointed out a scenario where a human walking towards a crosswalk disappears behind a parked van, the human driver likley expects that human to reappear and tries to anticipate that event. AI can't at the moment as that introduces to many potentiel variables. Humans generally pick up far more visual clues than AI can. Not to say that you can't find human drivers right now that perform poorer than current AI.

Elon Musk pointed out a scenario where a human walking towards a crosswalk disappears behind a parked van, the human driver likley expects that human to reappear and tries to anticipate that event. AI can't at the moment as that introduces to many potentiel variables. Humans generally pick up far more visual clues than AI can. Not to say that you can't find human drivers right now that perform poorer than current AI.
Oh there are a lot of idiots out there for sure.

The article also states that most of the testing has been done in Phoenix or So Cal and they are still having problems. I cannot fathom the issues of black ice, snow covered, fog, blizzards and everything else nature can throw at you.

Electric and driverless cars are not the solution for us. Better public transit and electric HFR and HSR will be a much better route to take to get us out of carbon spiral that we are in.

We can't afford "better" public transit without going with AI driven buses. A major cost of tranist, is the drivers and that limits how many buses you can put on the road. Also tranist out here only became close to self-funding a few years before Covid and now I suspect they lost that as WFH has caused ridership to plummet. Transit users don't pay for road improvement or repairs, that money comes from property owners, fuel tax and parking taxes. So get rid of private cars and where are you getting the money to maintain the road network in urban areas?

We can't afford "better" public transit without going with AI driven buses. A major cost of tranist, is the drivers and that limits how many buses you can put on the road. Also tranist out here only became close to self-funding a few years before Covid and now I suspect they lost that as WFH has caused ridership to plummet. Transit users don't pay for road improvement or repairs, that money comes from property owners, fuel tax and parking taxes. So get rid of private cars and where are you getting the money to maintain the road network in urban areas?
That's the circle that will be hard to square isn't it?
Electric cars will get rid of fuel taxes right?
Getting rid of cars and introducing more trams and public transit will alleviate the wear and tear on the roads which should reduce costs, maybe.

That's the circle that will be hard to square isn't it?
Getting rid of cars and introducing more trams and public transit will alleviate the wear and tear on the roads which should reduce costs, maybe.
trams, buses and subways only work in major urban areas. Less density means empty buses which then cost a lot more per ride and pollute a lot more per capita than the PMV. It is either that or you force people to walk to the major routes and that won't wash at minus 10 or in a snow squall. So-called company towns are the only realistic way to get commuters off the roads where the job and the home are co-located. And good luck with that. But these problems exist whether or not you go electric or stay with petrol.

At some unknown point in the future, when (if) EVs become a significant mode, the government will have to figure out how to replicate the fuel tax revenue.

At some unknown point in the future, when (if) EVs become a significant mode, the government will have to figure out how to replicate the fuel tax revenue.
It will likely be a km tax. Fairly easy to do with computerized cars. Even without, in places like NZ, you buy “road tax coupons” every 1000km and write in your odometer reading. If you get pulled over, you have to produce your tax coupons.

Could see something like the UK has where your vehicle registration renewal requires you to fill in the odometer current odometer reading. They calculate the difference between old odometer and new reading and you're taxed a $x /km regardless of vehicle type as a roads tax.

trams, buses and subways only work in major urban areas. Less density means empty buses which then cost a lot more per ride and pollute a lot more per capita than the PMV. It is either that or you force people to walk to the major routes and that won't wash at minus 10 or in a snow squall. So-called company towns are the only realistic way to get commuters off the roads where the job and the home are co-located. And good luck with that. But these problems exist whether or not you go electric or stay with petrol.
Or tax the crap out of cars inside city limits to the point where owning a personal vehicle in a city is unaffordable.
Won’t happen though

Or tax the crap out of cars inside city limits to the point where owning a personal vehicle in a city is unaffordable.
Won’t happen though

Justin Trudeau Yes GIF by Patriot Act

Won’t happen though
Don't worry they already made Vancouver unaffordable, without even going there yet. Parking tax is 21% though.

Could see something like the UK has where your vehicle registration renewal requires you to fill in the odometer current odometer reading. They calculate the difference between old odometer and new reading and you're taxed a $x /km regardless of vehicle type as a roads tax.
Every modern car has the technology in it already. Its a software update. Every car sold today has a GPS and mobile data connection. It was mandated already. Doug Ford in Ontario removing the license renewal was him just jumping the gun. He knows that their will be per km charges in the very near future. Also with variable pricing for time and location data. Also every car today has a kill switch in too. This is not conspiracy stuff, I was at OEM conferences in Detroit about it. Everything is just a software update.

Probably fair to say that this is the configuration the originals should have been delivered in, without the prideful political interference to restrict the budget well below previously identified levels in he NSA/NSH days (pre-Chrétien Zip-Zero-Nada-Elicopters days).

Every modern car has the technology in it already. Its a software update. Every car sold today has a GPS and mobile data connection. It was mandated already. Doug Ford in Ontario removing the license renewal was him just jumping the gun. He knows that their will be per km charges in the very near future. Also with variable pricing for time and location data. Also every car today has a kill switch in too. This is not conspiracy stuff, I was at OEM conferences in Detroit about it. Everything is just a software update.

Next question: how do I disable any remote connectivity possibility in my vehicle??

Might be a good time to buy an older vehicle and put it way for later use. :ROFLMAO:

Software and 'potential connectivity' are one thing. Mandating is another. There is a lot of federal and provincial, as well as Canada-US, jurisdictional issues, that would have to be sorted out first.

Contrary to popular belief, Doug Ford did not remove registration (plate) renewal; he removed the fee and the evidence (valtag) for personal use vehicles, light trucks, motorcycles and mopeds. You still have to go through the annual renewal process as many people are finding out.). Crediting Doug Ford with planning beyond next Saturday is being overly generous.

I hope nobody hits the kill switch while I'm trying to merge in traffic, especially on my motorcycle.

But I wasn't at the Detroit conference so what do I know.

Software and 'potential connectivity' are one thing. Mandating is another. There is a lot of federal and provincial, as well as Canada-US, jurisdictional issues, that would have to be sorted out first.

Contrary to popular belief, Doug Ford did not remove registration (plate) renewal; he removed the fee and the evidence (valtag) for personal use vehicles, light trucks, motorcycles and mopeds. You still have to go through the annual renewal process as many people are finding out.). Crediting Doug Ford with planning beyond next Saturday is being overly generous.

I hope nobody hits the kill switch while I'm trying to merge in traffic, especially on my motorcycle.

But I wasn't at the Detroit conference so what do I know.
You're maybe right Ford planning.

But its weird that the government (any gov) is planning so far ahead. They really have full faith that the electric car is going to be here very soon. (I have my doubts that it could everything today) So they think they are going to lose the gas taxes and want to replace the revenue with a per mile tax surcharge.

read the fine print on your Sync system (using just Ford example) They are collecting data now.

You're maybe right Ford planning.

But its weird that the government (any gov) is planning so far ahead. They really have full faith that the electric car is going to be here very soon. (I have my doubts that it could everything today) So they think they are going to lose the gas taxes and want to replace the revenue with a per mile tax surcharge.

read the fine print on your Sync system (using just Ford example) They are collecting data now.
You could be right. If I get really, I mean really, bored I'll dig out the manual for my Honda truck. I believe it has the capability to do all sorts of stuff; but none of it is activated. I even have the GPS (or whatever it is) turned off on my cel-phone. Gathering raw odometer readings doesn't necessarily imply tracking. In order for a tax to be imposed there has to be legislation, and co-opting private industry to do that adds a complicating layer. There would also have to be provisions for older, so-called 'non-compliant vehicles, that don't have the tech.

I'll be long dead before any of this happens.

Back