• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
The LPC ran into the same issue with Dion and Ignatieff.

The key is finding a leader with enough name recognition to be known by the public already , so any attacks on them ring hollow.

Rona Ambrose is known and well liked.

Peter Mackay is known, not sure if we'll liked.

Erin O'Toole was not well known and more and more people don't like him.

Pierre Poilievre isn't well known outside of Ottawa IMHO.
Ambrose doesn't seem to be interested

MacKay from what I have heard is done with the whole thing

O'Toole will fail and be sacrificed

Pollievre I dunno, I don't see him as a guy who can capture the centre.

He is the guy who in my opinion should be in charge of their election strategy, he knows how to hit the libs and make them squirm.
Didn't O'Toole sideline him?

Also watching Pierre Pollievre campaign ads (cannot watch youtube without getting one) and Erin O'Toole is conspicuously absent.

Not sure those two are on the same page.

He reminds me of Copps, Nunziata and Tobin - effective shit disturbers on the flanks, but not someone you'd put in charge of your main effort.

Harper's crushing of most potential leaders is a big part of the current problem. Kenney is losing Alberta; Baird is fat, dumb and happy outside government; and the few other strong leaders have all left as well.

It's not unexpected that politicians, parties and interest groups get a jump on the writ dropping, especially when speculation is that the PM will go to the GG on Sunday, so I shouldn't be surprised at having recently received political related communications. Actually some of it did surprise me. In the past two days, I've had one voice mail left on my home phone, two text messages on my cell (those three CPC related) and two mailings from anti-abortion groups. The anti-abortion pamphlets were unaddressed admail (one of them with very explicit photos, I'll probably complain to Canada Post about that one *) and were the unexpected items, I had never received such before. While I don't think it was a targeted campaign (being unaddressed mail), it seems more than coincidental that they showed up in home mail boxes so close to speculation that the call to election is likely only a few days away.

The abortion issue as a millstone around the neck of the Conservatives has been mentioned before on these means. A common observation is that abortion is a settled issue and the CPC has no intent in its platform to re-visit the debate. It probably won't help the Conservative narrative (even at the local/reginal level) if anti-abortion groups (whose membership are more likely to be supportive of the CPC than the other major parties) rev up their campaigns as the election approaches.

* I contacted Canada Post about the mailing which contained the photos that disturbed me. Seems like they can't even accept a complaint about it. They are not permitted to refuse mailings, regardless of the content, lest they be accused of censorship.

Plot twist: The Liberal Party of Canada believes in a woman's right to choose what happens to her body, except for vaccinations. Meanwhile the Conservative Party of Canada state they're against forcing vaccinations because people deserve the liberty to choose what happens to their body.

Hilarious.

Plot twist: The Liberal Party of Canada believes in a woman's right to choose what happens to her body, except for vaccinations. Meanwhile the Conservative Party of Canada state they're against forcing vaccinations because people deserve the liberty to choose what happens to their body.

Hilarious.
Except a fetus isn't part of a woman's body. It is also not an it. It is a distinct human being upon which society has decreed a zero value until such time as he/she emerges at the end of nine months.

Except a fetus isn't part of a woman's body. It is also not an it. It is a distinct human being upon which society has decreed a zero value until such time as he/she emerges at the end of nine months.
Pretty sure pregnancy has an effect on a woman’s body. No need to consult any experts. Just ask any woman who has ever been pregnant.

We're already capable of partial ectogenesis. Soon we'll be able to grow a human completely outside of the womb. Then using the wonder of Science we can pick a desirable gender and desirable traits. Gets rid of that whole awkward gender-selective abortion issue.

We're already capable of partial ectogenesis. Soon we'll be able to grow a human completely outside of the womb. Then using the wonder of Science we can pick a desirable gender and desirable traits. Gets rid of that whole awkward gender-selective abortion issue.
Damn those liberals bringing up abortion again.

I was wrong once before back in old '87
What happened in 87?

I think its still a Liberal minority government when all is said in done. Surprised to see the Greens up with all their problems. The NDP down probably means that any increase in Conservative votes won't be enough to tip them into the lead. Even if the conservatives were to gain the most seats, it seems like the Liberals would still be able to form the government with NDP or Bloq support

He is the guy who in my opinion should be in charge of their election strategy, he knows how to hit the libs and make them squirm.

I think that Pierre Poilievre is best suited to be the next CD Howe ~ which I also believe that Canada really needs in the next decade or two ~ to a popular liberal (which, I keep repeating, in 21st century Canada means a Conservative) prime minister. Is O'Toole a liberal? Yes, I think so, but I also think he has sold out his ingrained, personal liberal values to the illiberals in both Québec and in his own party's 'NeanderCon' base.

What happened in 87?

I think its still a Liberal minority government when all is said in done. Surprised to see the Greens up with all their problems. The NDP down probably means that any increase in Conservative votes won't be enough to tip them into the lead. Even if the conservatives were to gain the most seats, it seems like the Liberals would still be able to form the government with NDP or Bloq support
Nothing I was just trying to be coy. Lol I was 8 in 87 lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back