• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2019 - ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

garb811

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
In light of the PM's announcement he would not be seeking to form a coalition government post election, this thread is established for discussions related to the new minority Liberal Government.

garb811 said:
In light of the PM's announcement he would not be seeking to form a coalition government post election, this thread is established for discussions related to the new minority Liberal Government.

Trudeau doesn't need a coalition because the NDP are very weak, the Green Party is irrelevant, the Bloc can be manipulated and no other party likes the Conservatives so the threat of being backstabbed at the 11th hour is very remote right now.  In other words, Trudeau smells blood and is seizing the initiative. 

Trudeau doesn't smell anything.  He's nearly incapable of strategic political calculations and has demonstrated that consistently.  He has ruthless staff however who give him good advice.

NDP are broke.  Bloc have been proven by Harper to either abstain or be amenable to some bills.  As long as the Libs don't do anything that the NDP can't just say we don't like it but we're willing to hold our noses and vote yes, they should be ok.  Standby for more omnibus bills.

Underway said:
Trudeau doesn't smell anything.  He's nearly incapable of strategic political calculations and has demonstrated that consistently.  He has ruthless staff however who give him good advice.

NDP are broke.  Bloc have been proven by Harper to either abstain or be amenable to some bills.  As long as the Libs don't do anything that the NDP can't just say we don't like it but we're willing to hold our noses and vote yes, they should be ok.  Standby for more omnibus bills.

When I say Trudeau, I really mean his handlers  8).  Everyone knows it's Gerry Butts & Co calling the shots in the background.

But I absolutely agree with everything you say.

its a work in progress.

He is sorry that his perception of the event and his are not the same.

Please let him know what costume you would be most offended by and he will have it ordered for his next photo shoot.

CountDC said:
its a work in progress.

He is sorry that his perception of the event and his are not the same.

Please let him know what costume you would be most offended by and he will have it ordered for his next photo shoot.

That is actually pretty funny.

Not winning a majority probably stung a little but Halloween this year must have been devastating for Trudeau.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6108716/trudeau-halloween-costume-2019/

Justin Trudeau won’t wear a Halloween costume for trick-or-treating this year

Jarnhamar said:
Not winning a majority probably stung a little but Halloween this year must have been devastating for Trudeau.

If we are still discussing blackface, I put my opinion here,
https://army.ca/forums/threads/131141/post-1588354.html#msg1588354

Jarnhamar said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/6108716/trudeau-halloween-costume-2019/

Justin Trudeau won’t wear a Halloween costume for trick-or-treating this year

A wise decision.

Torn between putting this here or in the Election thread, so I flipped a coin ...
Federal Green Party Leader Elizabeth May has stepped down as party leader.

Speaking to reporters in Ottawa Monday, May said that she is leaving the post she has held since 2006, effective today.

The B.C. MP said she felt comfortable stepping aside from the role now because the party is in a good position after a solid performance in the recent election campaign.

"We achieved more than one million votes for the first time ever," May said. "As I look around the world ... there is no other country with first-past-the-post that has achieved what we've achieved."

May said she will continue to sit as a member of Parliament and will be the party's parliamentary caucus leader. She said she promised her daughter that the 2019 election would be her last at the party's helm.

After suggesting last week in an interview with CBC News that she would consider running to be Speaker of the House of Commons, May said today she would not run and will remain on the opposition benches.

She said her two caucus mates wanted her to stay on as an MP to help hold the Liberal government to account ...

New cabinet being sworn in -- list of who's who attached (source).

Attachments

• Campion-Smith-Cabinet-1.jpg
    Campion-Smith-Cabinet-1.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Campion-Smith-Cabinet-2.jpg
    Campion-Smith-Cabinet-2.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 154
  • Campion-Smith-Cabinet-3.jpg
    Campion-Smith-Cabinet-3.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 156
Jarnhamar said:
What does a chief government whip do?
Keeps the troops in line for the boss (aka "enforcer") - this polite version from an older announcement from the info-machine:
... Each recognized party in the Parliament of Canada has a whip. The whips ensure that enough party members are in the Chamber for debates and votes. They also determine which committees a party member will sit on, assign offices and seats in the House, and encourage members to follow party commitments.
Re: the bit in yellow, the "or else" is silent ;D

This from Wikipedia:
... The party whip works to ensure that the number of MPs in the House or at committee meetings is adequate to win a vote if one is called. When a vote is called in the House, division bells ring until the whips for each party are satisfied that there are sufficient numbers of members of their own party present for the vote to proceed.

The whip's role is especially important when there is a minority government or if the government has a slim majority, as the absence of a handful of MPs during a confidence vote can result in the defeat of the government. Party discipline is strict in Canada and MPs are expected to vote with the rest of their party in all but a few designated free votes ...

Appointing the biggest ***** in the liberal party as whip? There goes any independent thought.

Staff edit as per site political thread policies

my72jeep said:
Appointing the biggest ***** in the liberal party as whip? There goes any independent thought.
Like that's a surprise for any minority government of any stripe ...

Staff edit quote

So Global Affairs is back to being Foreign Affairs, how many times have they changed the name of that department? What is Middle Class Prosperities? Sounds like a weird cabinet position to me.

I’m surprised that nobody has complained (yet) about “triggering” through the use of the word “whip” in politics. RSM will do.

Cloud Cover said:
I’m surprised that nobody has complained (yet) about “triggering” through the use of the word “whip” in politics. RSM will do.
I was going to use the term, but I don't think "RSM" quite covers the ... murkier elements of the job of keeping politicians in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back