• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Letters of Reference

I thought you couldn't use friends...? That was making it a lot harder. :p

Fortunately, two friends I am considering asking have both known me 5 years, and have also both been my landlords. I have other people in "official" type relationships that I could ask, if needed.

this my first post on this forum
i have sent my application online to join the infantry reserves
im stuck on the referances i dont know anyone longer then 5 years as i have moved often just wondering if theres anything i can do?
also when they say adult they meen age of majority in your province correct?
what about in-laws??

References can be anyone who isn't family.  I can't say about in laws, but I would stay away from them in order to keep your application as professional as possible.

Teachers, Employers, Community members all make good references.  Coaches from any sports you might have played, or a church leader perhaps. 

Your looking for anyone that you know in your life that can give a candid, but positive review of who you are as person, and you work and life ethic.

You can even have friends give references.  If you need to use a friend or two, try and think of ones who might have well respected or professional careers, or who hold a respected title in your community, a Community Committee leader or Condo Board Director for example...

Everyone knows a few good references  ;D 

Also keep in mind my advice isint specifically derived from the millitary, but as a former hiring manager for the financial services sector.  There are some CF specific threads that you can search for on here...

The instructions as to whom you can put down as a Refererence are clearly stated on the forms, or in this topic.  You could easily read either one and it is all explained for you.

If I remember correctly, you need 3 references, 1 that has known you for at least 5 years.
I had asked the recruiter, (I was in the same boat as you) and he said that someone that remembered be was fine even if I hadnt seen that person in a year or two.
Try getting in touch with an old teacher or even principale that would remember you.
They are always open to help  :)

Azizti said:
If I remember correctly, you need 3 references, 1 that has known you for at least 5 years.
I had asked the recruited, (I was in the same boat as you) and he said that someone that remembered be was fine even if I hadnt seen that person in a year or two.
Try getting in touch with an old teacher or even principale that would remember you.
They are always open to help  :)

I wonder why we even try?

George Wallace said:
The instructions as to whom you can put down as a Refererence are clearly stated on the forms, or in this topic.  You could easily read either one and it is all explained for you.

Azizti said:

I am doing my application and while it used to be 3 references, you now need 5 and "they must have known you for at least five continuous years of coverage" it no longer says only 1 must have known you for at least 5 years as it did on the older forms. Other information that you will find on the form tells you that they must be an adult who is not immediate family or a relative. They can be employment, educational or personal references and on the form you indicate what category they fall into and their relationship to you.  The form states employment references can be former or current co-workers, supervisors or employers. The educational references can be former or current teachers, professors or coaches. The personal references can be neighbours, family friends, religious/spiritual leaders or community leaders.

MeghanC said:
I am doing my application and while it used to be 3 references, you now need 5 and "they must have known you for at least five continuous years of coverage" it no longer says only 1 must have known you for at least 5 years as it did on the older forms. Other information that you will find on the form tells you that they must be an adult who is not immediate family or a relative. They can be employment, educational or personal references and on the form you indicate what category they fall into and their relationship to you.  The form states employment references can be former or current co-workers, supervisors or employers. The educational references can be former or current teachers, professors or coaches. The personal references can be neighbours, family friends, religious/spiritual leaders or community leaders.

I am in the application process and I only needed to give 3 references. Could be anyone besides family and only 1 has to have know you for atleast 5 years. Thats all I had to do.

bomber12 said:
I am in the application process and I only needed to give 3 references. Could be anyone besides family and only 1 has to have know you for atleast 5 years. Thats all I had to do.

Brilliant.  As has been stated so many times already, the new process, BackCheck, calls for more.  You are one of the few who may be going through a CFRC that has not yet updated its procedures.  You are the exception, not the rule.

Back