• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Les Misérables, Korean air force style

Thanks for that! My husband and I lived there for a time (esl) and took in some local cinema. They certainly have a knack for their theatrics and there are a lot of movies I enjoyed also.  (Their action and horror productions are really gaining popularity world-wide these days...)

A bit more backstory on this one....
.... “We made the video to lift the spirit of servicemen who had to work so hard to clear snow during the unusually heavy winter this year,” said Major Cheon Myeong-nyeong, one of the officers behind the project.

All the cast – with the exception of the woman playing Cosette – were conscripts, he told reporters.

Two years of military service is mandatory for all able-bodied men in South Korea, which technically remains at war with its rival the North.

Many serve in remote, mountainous areas and get little time off to visit family or friends.

“We hope that the video can help shatter the image of the military as a dull place and encourage more youth to take the service with delight,” Cheon said ....
AFP (via South China Morning Post), 7 Feb 13

.... First off, just want to make sure this is 100 percent clear: Despite the fixation on backbreaking manual labor, the above video comes to us via South Korea, not its northern, MJ-loving counterpart.

Now, on to the video: You know last summer when you were watching the second European trailer for Les Misérables on YouTube, and once it finished you noticed something in the related videos column called "HILARIOUS 'Call Me Maybe' Parody — OMG Must Watch!!" and, feeling particularly complacent that day, you decided to click on it? And after about 15 seconds into the extremely earnest acoustic cover of Carly Rae Jepsen's timeless classic, you realized two things: (1) This is neither a parody, nor hilarious, and (2) this is better than the original, so hating is not really an option? This is how you will feel when you watch "Les Militaribles," this Les Misérables "parody" done by the South Korean Air Force and realize that they have a better Javert than we do ....
grantland.com, 7 Feb 13

Back