• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leonard Nimoy, 1931-2015, R.I.P.

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Well, he lived reasonably long and did prosper ....
Leonard Nimoy, the sonorous, gaunt-faced actor who won a worshipful global following as Mr. Spock, the resolutely logical human-alien first officer of the Starship Enterprise in the television and movie juggernaut “Star Trek,” died on Friday morning at his home in the Bel Air section of Los Angeles. He was 83.

His wife, Susan Bay Nimoy, confirmed his death, saying the cause was end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Mr. Nimoy announced that he had the disease last year, attributing it to years of smoking, a habit he had given up three decades earlier. He had been hospitalized earlier in the week.

His artistic pursuits — poetry, photography and music in addition to acting — ranged far beyond the United Federation of Planets, but it was as Mr. Spock that Mr. Nimoy became a folk hero, bringing to life one of the most indelible characters of the last half century: a cerebral, unflappable, pointy-eared Vulcan with a signature salute and blessing: “Live long and prosper” (from the Vulcan “Dif-tor heh smusma”) ....
imgage11spock.jpg
640_leonard_nimoy_168753450.jpg

Shit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPBGZRRrEKM

So will they use another actor to stand in for older Spock in the next Abrams Star Trek movie then?

RIP Leonard Nimoy/Mr. Spock:

Yahoo News

Leonard Nimoy, Actor, Director, and 'Star Trek' Icon, Dies at 83
By Ethan Alter | Yahoo TV – 16 minutes ago

I Am Not Spock proclaimed the title of Leonard Nimoy's 1975 autobiography, in which the veteran actor tried to distinguish himself from his most iconic role, as Star Trek's emotionless half-human, half-Vulcan science officer. Twenty years later, he published a follow-up entitled, I Am Spock, in which the actor-director warmly embraced his pointy-eared alter ego. Like it or not, Nimoy — who passed away on Feb. 27 at the age of 83 from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — was Spock to generations of sci-fi fans, so much so that when J.J. Abrams rebooted the franchise in the 2009 blockbuster, Nimoy was the one original cast member he made sure to bring back.

Even though the role defined his career for those of us watching him at home and in theaters, Spock was only one small part of Nimoy's overall life. An actor from childhood, the Boston-born Nimoy worked steadily on television before and after Star Trek, appearing on such disparate shows as Sea Hunt, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible and In Search Of…, a five-season series that explored the mysteries of the paranormal. In the '80s, he became an established film director, overseeing back-to-back big-screen Star Trek installments (The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home) followed by the 1987 hit, 3 Men and a Baby.

(...SNIPPED)

RIP Mr. Nimoy.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtQUePN5y40

S.M.A. said:
So will they use another actor to stand in for older Spock in the next Abrams Star Trek movie then?

That doesn't matter one way or the other.  Leonard Nimoy made that character what it is.  The better question is which other actor can stand in for Leonard Nimoy. The answer is none.

You can likely find someone to play a convincing younger spock (and they have) but you will never find anyone that can play the Leonard Nimoy version.  Best to leave "him" out of any future endeavours because it will fail.

Crantor said:
That doesn't matter one way or the other.  Leonard Nimoy made that character what it is.  The better question is which other actor can stand in for Leonard Nimoy. The answer is none.

You can likely find someone to play a convincing younger spock (and they have) but you will never find anyone that can play the Leonard Nimoy version.  Best to leave "him" out of any future endeavours because it will fail.

Unless they try to CGI him as they did for Tron Legacy with a younger Jeff Bridges. 

I am sad to read of his passing as I liked Leonard Nimoy and "Spock" was a part of my childhood.  :'(

His last Tweet, from last Sunday 22 Feb, reads:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

Thank you for the memories, Leonard Nimoy. 

bridges said:
His last Tweet, from last Sunday 22 Feb, reads:

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."

Thank you for the memories, Leonard Nimoy.

That was a beautiful tweet indeed
RIP Mr Nimoy.

I posted this on facebook:

Leonard opend the minds of youth. Allowing us to dream, to think of beyound and to reach for hope. Thank you.

William Shatner's decision to do this may not sit well with fans...

Yahoo News/Access Hollywood

Shatner Can't Attend Funeral

William Shatner sent out a series of Tweets on Saturday expressing his grief over the loss of one his "dearest friends," Leonard Nimoy.

Sadly, due to a prior commitment that poses a scheduling conflict, Shatner is unable to attend Nimoy's funeral on Sunday.

"I am currently in FL as I agreed to appear at the Red Cross Ball tonight. Leonard's funeral is tomorrow. I can't make it back in time," he explained, adding in another Tweet, "I feel really awful. Here I am doing charity work and one of my dearest friends is being buried."

(...SNIPPED)

Hmmm, I guess all of the private jets must have been booked.

Evidently Nimoy became great friends with Zachary Quinto when filming the JJ Abrams Star Treck films, and has a great deal of fun with his friend and poking some fun at his own past in this ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPkByAkAdZs

The makers of the add have a lot of fun as well (look at the way Quinto's car is filmed...)

Enjoy

that was hilarious! the nerve pinch was priceless.

Back