• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lebanese immigrant in USMC guilty of citizenship fraud

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
I know she lied and thus has no honor, but this case demonstrates just how being accepted into and succeeding in any military should be based on ABILITY, not on whether you think you are entitled to join just because you are citizen. I find it amazing how she was able to get through USMC OCS to later become a Captain, even if her whole life was built on lies.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,157596,00.html?wh=wh

Marine Guilty in Citizenship Fraud Case
Detroit Free Press  |  December 05, 2007
DETROIT - Since arriving in the United States from war-torn Lebanon in 1989, Samar Spinelli pursued the American Dream.

She got a college degree.

She joined the military and rose to the rank of captain.

She married, had children and served the United States with two tours of duty in Iraq.

But her life was built on lies.

On Dec. 4, the truth caught up with the 39-year-old Marine captain when she pleaded guilty in Detroit to conspiracy to commit marriage, immigration, citizenship and passport fraud.

"Yes sir," Spinelli said repeatedly as U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn questioned her about the charges and a plea agreement that could cause her to spend nine months in prison and possibly lose her citizenship and be deported to Lebanon. She also agreed to resign from the Marines.

Spinelli, who was on track to become a major and was within five years of retirement, will lose her Marine pension, her lawyer said.

"This is an absolute tragedy," her lawyer, Christopher Andreoff of Detroit, said as Spinelli was processed by U.S. marshals after pleading guilty.

"Here you have someone who has given 15 years of her life, did two tours of duty in Iraq and was of tremendous use to the Marine Corps."

Assistant U.S. Attorney Kenneth Chadwell said in court documents that Spinelli conspired with two former roommates - also Lebanese immigrants - in the 1990s to hire U.S. citizens to marry them, after they overstayed their visas, so they could remain in the United States and become citizens.

They never lived with the men nor consummated the marriages. They forged their husbands' names on immigration documents and vouched for each other to get citizenship and jobs. Later they divorced the men.

The other two women are:

-Nada Nadim Prouty, 37, of Vienna, Va., a former FBI agent and CIA operative, who pleaded guilty three weeks ago to similar charges plus illegally accessing an FBI computer system to find out if family members were being investigated and to learn details of a Detroit-based terrorism probe.

-Elfar El Aouar, 40, of Plymouth, Mich., Prouty's sister and the wife of fugitive La Shish restaurant owner Talal Chahine. She pleaded guilty to similar charges last week. She is serving 18 months in prison for helping Chahine avoid $6.9 million in federal taxes from 2001 to 2005 on his restaurant chain. He fled to Lebanon in 2005 to avoid prosecution.

A third sister, Dr. Rula Nadim El Aouar, 36, of Dearborn Heights, Mich., was charged in May with naturalization fraud for allegedly arranging a sham marriage. Negotiations are under way to enable her to avoid criminal charges, but surrender her citizenship.

Andreoff said Spinelli joined the Marines in the early 1990s, married a fellow Marine who became a captain and had two children, now 5 and 11. They live in Okinawa, Japan.

She was pulled out of Iraq, where she helped train Iraqi police, after investigators learned of the earlier fraudulent marriage.

CougarDaddy said:
I find it amazing how she was able to get through USMC OCS to later become a Captain, even if her whole life was built on lies.

I find it even more amazing that one of the others charged was an FBI agent and CIA operative.  Was that before or after the citizenship fraud?  You'd think the FBI and CIA security background checks would be more stringent than that.

CSA,

I am well aware of how hard it is to immigrate to the States for people in certain situations; I used to study in the States on a student visa myself and have faced my own frustrations in trying to enlist in the US military, but of course I will not lie or commit fraud as she did to get what she wanted. I never meant to offend anyone, though I realize how important the values of "Honor, Courage and Commitment" mean to members of the USMC, which is why I mentioned it.

Yes, she did serve with distinction even if the means by which she got her immigration status was fraudulent, so I take back what I said about "no honor".

Discipline by example!

Good on ya's USMC for doing the right thing!

She deliberatly lied and decieved the Corps, thats all it takes.

I dont GAF about southern Lebanon and how some want out. If you want out, use the correct channels. Lies and deception will buy you a one way ticket back to shyte-land, and shyteland it is!!!

No sympathy from me PERIOD.

Cheers,

Wes

CSA 105 said:
What about the Canadians who enlisted after lying about their age, their schooling, aobut having parents' permission, etc to join and fight in World Wars I, II, likely Korea, etc.  Many served with distinction.

These were our own citizens, born in Canada, who did that from patriotism, not some foreigner from a hostile crappy land full of angry people who have been at each other's throats for centuries.

Comparing a lying Leb female to patroitic Canadians is like comparing apples to grenades.

Sorry pal, I don't agree with you on this.

Cheers,

Wes

Greymatters said:
The Marines seem to have no problem cutting her loose...

That would likely be because the USMC demands integrity from its officers.  Good on them.

USMC can't do anything until she's PROVEN guilty.

Or people forgetting how justice works again?  Military brass won't do anything, until civil authorities are done with a case.  Trust me on that.

And if you're not a private - you really got to f up before they take you to the cleaners.  I've so many get away with so much because they are "liked" (yeah yeah me too guilty as charged).

r

Back