• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Leave Pass Response Time

A co-worker is going through his release, had his memo sent beck for correction a couple of times on minor things.

Even when someone says "I'm out" the CAF can't help but be stupid at every opportunity.
I had a rule in my department. Unless it was correspondence leaving the unit, once a memo made it past the Divisional PO (section sgt?), there were to be no more corrections. If you could understand what the person was requesting, why delay the process just because they used 6 spaces instead of 5 for the sig block, and ended every paragraph with a semi-colon?

The only time a supervisor could send it back down was if they found that a. there was gross errors in the document, or b. the argument was really weak and needed to be improved. This would doubly true for entitlements. I almost did away with memos altogether for entitlements (there shouldn't be a need to "argue" for entitlements), but turns out it's sometimes just a good way to make sure everyone in the CoC is aware of what's going on with a member.

Last edited:
I had a rule in my department. Unless it was correspondence leaving the unit, once a memo made it past the Divisional PO (section sgt?), there were to be no more corrections. If you could understand what the person was requesting, why delay the process just because they used 6 spaces instead of 5 for the sig block, and ended every paragraph with a semi-colon?

The only time a supervisor could send it back down was if they found that a. there was gross errors in the document, or b. the argument was really weak and needed to be improved. This would doubly true for entitlements. I almost did away with memos altogether for entitlements (there shouldn't be a need to "argue" for entitlements), but turns out it's sometimes just a good way to make sure everyone in the CoC is aware of what's going on with a member.
That's exactly how the system should work, except replace memo with email.

It's like PERs, once the DivO passes it up the chain they should be making any further "corrections".

Argh; Edit to add; The lead time to getting confirmation back it's been entered into Guardian can be insane, I've been getting them back long after the leave period, but once it's actually signed by the approving authority I use that for booking things.
Correct. It doesn't matter if it's entered into Guardian for that.

I suggested getting rid of memos for internal communication and the response was “do you want to implement e-staffing?” So I slowly backed away. I’m interested in saving time with emails, not digitizing an archaic process, I don’t have time for this.

My current CO is trying to get us all to replace every memo that doesn't need to be a memo with an e-mail instead. If it's not being forwarded on along with other paperwork to some outside agency, there's no reason to have things on paper. E-mail is vastly superior; ensures that everyone has a copy of the correspondence, ensures that everyone can throw their two cents in when forwarding it on, ensures we can actually read what the hell is written instead of someone's chicken scratch of a note added manually.

If the CAF moves towards greater use of email, I hope it doesn't fall into the 'reply all' trap.

My current CO is trying to get us all to replace every memo that doesn't need to be a memo with an e-mail instead. If it's not being forwarded on along with other paperwork to some outside agency, there's no reason to have things on paper. E-mail is vastly superior; ensures that everyone has a copy of the correspondence, ensures that everyone can throw their two cents in when forwarding it on, ensures we can actually read what the hell is written instead of someone's chicken scratch of a note added manually.
We were doing something similar just before I left, except instead of email he documents (which leads to version control issues), we had centralized repositories and drop-boxes on the shared drive. You would email a link to the document for review or signature.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this, but it fells as it belongs here: if your rank is different in EMAA/MPRR than it is in MM, which one is official?

DAP is right, I dealt with a case where the member did receive years of credit due to the reserve release delay. He didn't mind getting a few weeks pay after having done nothing with the military for over 3 years.

Back