• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LdSH Recce Squadron

VinceW

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
How many Coyotes does the LdSH's Recce Squadron have?
From what I've been able to figure out it's 4 Troops of 6 Coyotes each since the Sqn has over 100 members in it.
And if so why so many vehicles since other Armies Tank Reece units use less vehicles?

VinceW said:
How many Coyotes does the LdSH's Recce Squadron have?
From what I've been able to figure out it's 4 Troops of 6 Coyotes each since the Sqn has over 100 members in it.
And if so why so many vehicles since other Armies Tank Reece units use less vehicles?

It actually doesn't matter what other Army's have for Recce and how they are organized.

We have found that our ORBAT works well the way it is set up for the way that we do Recce.

We operate in two (2) vehicle Patrols in Troops that may be five (5) to seven (7) or more vehicles.  In times of austerity you will find most Troops will be five (5) vehicles.  Seven (7) vehicle Troops are very flexible and can perform much better than five (5).  The Regimental Recce Troop can number eleven (11) vehicles, it being the Regiment's only Recce element; as Recce Squadron belongs to Brigade.  In those ORBATS the Troop Leader is alone, but in newer concepts the Troop Leader may have another vehicle partnered with them and this would again change the numbers of vehicles involved.  Depending on the situation and tasking, Recce elements are quite flexible in their organization and configurations.

The Troop Leader usually has a Junior CS now.  Thing have changed.  Someone at teh Armour School should be able to speak to this more accuratly though, I'm at a desk.

Researching the Canadian army during the end of the Cold War the Leopard 1 Armoured Regiment in West Germany it had 24 Lynx's (6 per troop) in their Recce Squadron too and 23 (7 per troop + 2) in the other Armoured Regiments so I guess if having much more recce than normal ain't broke don't fix it.

VinceW said:
Researching the Canadian army during the end of the Cold War the Leopard 1 Armoured Regiment in West Germany it had 24 Lynx's (6 per troop) in their Recce Squadron too and 23 (7 per troop + 2) in the other Armoured Regiments so I guess if having much more recce than normal ain't broke don't fix it.

Wrong.  D Sqn RCD had four (4) seven (7) car Troops.  60 had seven cars as well.  (Will have to double check my memory)

George Wallace said:
Wrong.  D Sqn RCD had four (4) seven (7) car Troops.  60 had seven cars as well.  (Will have to double check my memory)

According to this source that's how many Lynx's were assigned.

Page 85

http://www.scribd.com/doc/37695/NATO-Order-of-Battle-1989

For what its worth, currently by doctrine a Recce Sqn has three Troops of eight vehicles each. The sqns in the Regt I just left, though, were not organized by the book but rather to take into account what vehicles and personnel were actually there. As such these arguments are fairly academic.

There isn't 4 troops of 6 coyotes I can tell you that for sure. As for 100 people in the squadron I don't think that's correct either.

From the South said:
There isn't 4 troops of 6 coyotes I can tell you that for sure. As for 100 people in the squadron I don't think that's correct either.

According to the information from this newsletter the Recce Squadron has 4 recce Troops with around 24 personal in each which would probably mean 6 Coyotes with 4 man crews it has well over a hundred members.

Page 20

http://www.strathconas.ca/uploads/files/strathconian%202011.pdf

And looking back at earlier orbats of Tank Regiments it still has around the same numbers.

There isn't 4 troops of 6 coyotes I'm telling you this as fact, and I'm pretty sure 100 guys is wrong.

Not much I can post but I know for sure there isn't 4 troops of 6 coyotes and as for 100 guys like I've said pretty sure that's not right. I don't know what proof you would like.

Excluding C Sqn for obvious reasons, the RCD's are set up with three troops per Sqn. The first two troops have six vehicles each, including a junior call sign for the Troopie. The third troop is an Assault Troop with four LAV's and a section of dismounts per vehicle approximately.

During Afghanistan the Recce Sqn's were operating with two troops of eight vehicles.

I cant comment on all at how the LDSH operate their Recce Sqn.

HULK_011 said:
Excluding C Sqn for obvious reasons, the RCD's are set up with three troops per Sqn. The first two troops have six vehicles each, including a junior call sign for the Troopie. The third troop is an Assault Troop with four LAV's and a section of dismounts per vehicle approximately.

During Afghanistan the Recce Sqn's were operating with two troops of eight vehicles.

I cant comment on all at how the LDSH operate their Recce Sqn.

There's no assault troop at the LdSH (RC) but like you said you can't comment on how the LdSH (RC) operate was just stating that there isn't an assault troop.

Recce Sqn is usually the largest Sabre Sqn, and can easily be around 100 to 120 pers.  Besides the Recce Troops, there are SHQ, Admin Tp and the Maint crews.  If Assault Tp is returned to the ORBAT, that is another large body of pers.

You're reading a Regimental magazine from a little while back. While it is a great record of who was serving at a particular time I wouldn't leap to any doctrinal conclusions based of that.

Tango2Bravo said:
You're reading a Regimental magazine from a little while back. While it is a great record of who was serving at a particular time I wouldn't leap to any doctrinal conclusions based of that.

One of the reasons I've been saying there isn't 4 troops with 6 coyotes or that there is 100 guys but that 100 guys might not be correct.

How many coyotes are the recce squadron suppose to have in total , not withstanding how they are broken down into troops depending on the tasking.

Back