• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LCIS - something wrong here?

Major_Malfunction

Inactive
Reaction score
I was going to put this in the "army" area, but since recriters are very hot for this job.. I thought I'd post it here.

I haven't seen anyhting on the forum about this topic so, hopefully the padlocks and the fingershaking will be kept to a minimum...  ;)  j/k

As I've stated in one of my first posts, due to the time of year, there are VERY limited NCM positions available until April when the money injection comes through. While speaking with recruiters last week during my interview, they made me aware of my options and what spots were still available etc... etc...  However, although most trades were down to 2 or 3 spots, LCIS had 180 spots left as of Jan 19th.

WOW!  180!!!!

What is wrong with this job? Looking at the recruitment videos and litterature, it seems just as interesting as any other.

Any ex-LCIS' out there who can shed some light on this?

I am NOT an LCIS tech however I know a little about recruiting. The LCIS occupation has a very long training cycle to it. BMQ, SQ Performance Oriented Electronics Training (POET) 32 weeks plus Basic LCIS training 30 weeks.  It would seem to me that over more than 1 year plus you might lose a few students. Last year they enrolled to start BMQ about 80 and the year before less than that. I am unsure what numbers  actually came out the end of the pipeline. Recruiting met the requested numbers but this year they wanted 275. We are trying hard to reach that goal but the Grade 10 advanced math requirement is causing challenges. Most students take general math.
Nothing wrong with the trade as far as I know, once you get through the training system. Good postings, good tour potential and advancement.   

CFR FCS said:
I am We are trying hard to reach that goal but the Grade 10 advanced math requirement is causing challenges. Most students take general math. 

Would Principles of Math 12 override Advanced Math 10?

I am asking for a buddy of mine, I applied to Navy myself...

I see. There seems to be so much going on with recruiting that normal folk like me just don't understand. Thank god for forums like this. :)

I think the scariest part of the recruiting process is wondering if you'll like your chosen trade once you get in. there's only so much a video can tell you. Recruiters do a damn good job but it's hard to know if they just want a space filled or if they really think that a certain trade is the one that best suits you.

I'll use myself for this example:  Early 30's, College Diploma - Operations management, Job supervising 60+ people, looking to try something new and maybe work in a lifestyle that is exciting and going to take me places.

"You want NAV COMM or SONAR Op"

Now, is that because my recruiter was a PO or does that sound right?

Interview with an Army Captain - "Why did you choose the Navy? You're in amazing shape and have an education. What about LCIS?"

LOL

I dunno... it confuses me more than anything.

Recruiting seems to be pushing the Navy a lot, but that's mostly due to their poor manning levels. LCIS and SigOp are low as well. Mostly LCIS guys leave and get civvie jobs afterwards, using the military's training to help them out. Higher than average turnover, and a long training schedule doesn't help either.

MasterInstructor said:
Would Principles of Math 12 override Advanced Math 10?

I am asking for a buddy of mine, I applied to Navy myself...

As far as I can remember, grade 10 math whether it was general or advanced was basically the same with the exception of how fast your learned it and how difficult the level of testing was.

Grade 12 general math would still outshine grade 10 advanced math because you are learning more difficult problems  and calculating different equations all together. I was a math tutor in school and the kids in grade 10 general were just as smart as the ones in advanced. Sure, they went through the book at a slower rate, but it doesn't mean they were dumb.

Wait till college or uni and you have to do stats...  oi!

Major_Malfunction said:
As far as I can remember, grade 10 math whether it was general or advanced was basically the same with the exception of how fast your learned it and how difficult the level of testing was.

Grade 12 general math would still outshine grade 10 advanced math because you are learning more difficult problems  and calculating different equations all together. I was a math tutor in school and the kids in grade 10 general were just as smart as the ones in advanced. Sure, they went through the book at a slower rate, but it doesn't mean they were dumb.

Wait till college or uni and you have to do stats...  oi!

That is true for sure, but how CF sees it might be different... I think it should override myself but you never know...

PS: I did do college for Mech Eng Tech and I hated it :p

Personally, I think  it's whether or not you are teachable.. earning your High school diploma or GED or whatever says you have the ability to learn and retain.

My roommate is applying for MARS and she failed the math test... This woman has a university degree in psychology and is admittedly a very poor mathematician, but, she's still going through to the next phase of her recruitment.

I just don't think your buddy should worry too much about it. If an officer candidate can't even add or subtact fractions well, then grade 12 math should be fine.

Then again... I don't make the rules  :p

Advanced level math is going to prepare you for complex numbers (real and imaginary), trigonometry and calculus.  It's hard to truly grasp RMS voltage unless you have a grasp of "area under the curve", which is integral calculus.

I don't think general level math, even at the gr 12 level, is going to give you the foundations for that.

Don't get too wrapped up in the math.  Most of the formulas that we learn through out POET don't get used outside of that course. Problem solving is the biggest issue as a tech. In my shop the biggest thing i want my techs to understand is how to solve a problem quickly, and be able to explain to the crews in plain english what happened, and possible fixes performed by the user. Most of the TCCCS faults are generally user solvable.

Major_ Malfunction you are neither qualified nor knowledgeable on how or why the CF hires in the manner it does. Your not even in and yet you have contiously paseed out information as if it was fact. Cease straying out of you lanes. The next time you will be introduced to the warning system.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Tango18A said:
Don't get too wrapped up in the math.  Most of the formulas that we learn through out POET don't get used outside of that course.

Unfortunately, those formulae are required to actually pass the POET course.  No arguments here that most of the time after POET, you won't be using much of the academics that are taught, but one has to have been trained on them to be able to use them if required. 

i really do not think that grade 12 general math would out shine grade 10 advanced...in ontario the grade ten advanced math course begins to touch on functions...quadriatics and various trig and geometry applications...grade 12 general barely even comes close to anything like...grade 10 advance prepares students to move into advanced classes like finite, calculus, and data managment(into to stats).

Occam,

I did quite well on POET just memorizing the appropriate graphs when it came to certain areas. Yes you are right about the base knowledge that enables students to learn their craft, ie Ohms law, Power formula. But as for the resistor code, its very hard to read once the "smoke" has been let out of the device. I only had Alberta Math 20 at that point. Hard core calculus is not a pre req. But some understanding of math, and how to manipulate formula is. The hardest part of POET would be keeping your eyes open, as the brain fizzles quite quickly at the onslaught of information that occur es every day. And that was back in the 90's when the course was 180+ days long. Now CTC wants to go under 100 trg days to gain the same info.

Under 100 days? ? ?

That's just crazy.  You can't crank out a decent tech with only 100 days training.  What are they thinking??

Its all about that version of crack cocaine that all organizations are addicted to, MONEY. They have allready cancelled a couple of 6A's at CFSCE. PT is part of all courses now, but no extra time has been built in to the time table. So the students proceed down to the Gym for 0600, so they can be back to class for 0800. And brain dead by 1400. So where have we got? No where at all.

Is that the correct number of spots for LCIS Tech 180....how many spots have been filled so far this year...

tsokman said:
Is that the correct number of spots for LCIS Tech 180....how many spots have been filled so far this year...

Who knows?  Does it matter?

tsokman said:

That's just what the Captain told me during my interview. As of Jan 19th/10 there were 180 spots left in a trade he thought was one of the best out there when it comes to training and getting a civilian job later.

I can't tell you if that's good or bad cuz I don't know squat... 180 just seems high to me. I'm actually considering it now that I've looked it over. All that tech training AND you get to be a soldier... I'm guessing someone who can operate and repair anything that has to do with communication out in the field would be worth his weight in gold... but I'll let the experienced guys handle that topic  :)

I'm currently in the process for applying to LCIS (1st choice) or SigOps (2nd)...
I had no idea that there's still 180 spots left.  :eek:

Back