• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LCdr. Wafa Dabbagh (first woman to wear hijab in CF) Dies of Cancer

acooper

Inactive
Reaction score
I saw this story in the Windsor Star today, and understand it was on the cover of the newspaper in Ottawa. Having read the article, I was sad that I hadn't heard of Lt.-Commander Wafa Dabbagh before. I think her story makes a good read, and she is a great example of how the CF works with diversity.

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Former+Windsorite+wins+Governor+General+medal/3940235/story.html

Former+Windsorite+wins+Governor+General+medal
...except she didn't "win" the Operational Service Medal.  hmmphh media  ::)

And I'm all for diversity in the CF, but having met her at CFC Toronto last year, a sailor who doesn't drink is just.....well, it's just wrong;)

On Monday at Rideau Hall, Gov. Gen. David Johnston awarded the first Operational Service Medals to 50 recipients, including Dabbagh, who was recognized for her participation in Operation Proteus, a Canadian training mission in Jerusalem.

To add to JM's statement, she was awarded the medal for operational reasons, not because she wears a hijab.

Why must we make distinctions here? 

Congrats to her and all others awarded the same medal. 

PMedMoe said:
To add to JM's statement, she was awarded the medal for operational reasons, not because she wears a hijab.

Why must we make distinctions here? 

Congrats to her and all others awarded the same medal.

She appears to be a nice, normal, even patriotic Muslim doing a nice, normal job in the CF. It's news. Man bites dog.

Still, a good-news story for the CF. "We've got women, and Muslims, and Muslim women, and all three are doing well in uniform."

I never meant to imply that she got the medal because of the hijab - that's not my point. My point in posting was to bring up a story of how a "not-typical" soldier can have a successful CF career. It would have been far easier for her to quit at the first bit of adversity in her training, but she didn't. And especially in the US, where I grew up, a hijab wearing soldier would be FAR from the norm (I've never heard of it happening there, but I could easily be wrong). Hearing about stories like hers makes me far prouder of my adopted country than I am my birth country.  :cdn:

At least the article actually mentioned what she was being 'awarded' the medal for.

Curious though, if she has 15 years in the service, why is she not at least wearing her Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) Ribbon.

Navalsnipr said:
Curious though, if she has 15 years in the service, why is she not at least wearing her Canadian Forces Decoration (CD) Ribbon.
I suspect a slack & idle Cox'n -- not sorting out those officers.  ;D

She was wearing a CD this summer.

acooper said:
I never meant to imply that she got the medal because of the hijab - that's not my point. My point in posting was to bring up a story of how a "not-typical" soldier can have a successful CF career. It would have been far easier for her to quit at the first bit of adversity in her training, but she didn't. And especially in the US, where I grew up, a hijab wearing soldier would be FAR from the norm (I've never heard of it happening there, but I could easily be wrong). Hearing about stories like hers makes me far prouder of my adopted country than I am my birth country.  :cdn:

I'll be the first to say I'm out of my lane here, but I do remember reading something about how some of the US forces do not allow alternative headdress, etc.  There was something about allowing the first US Army Sikhs to keep their turbans, facial hair, etc. in the past year or so.

NSDreamer said:
I'm curious at her having to do basic 3 times  :eek:
Fractured pelvis certainly explains not finishing the 2nd and needing a third.

NSDreamer said:
I'm curious at her having to do basic 3 times  :eek:

If you read the article, it is outlined quite clearly:
"By a quirk of bureaucracy -- and her own tenacious spirit -- Dabbagh did basic training three times. She wanted to enter the forces as an officer, but there were no openings, so she went in as a non-commissioned member. By the time Dabbagh completed basic training in St. Jean, Que., an officer position had opened up, so she immediately returned to re-do basic training, plus three extra weeks of officer training. Shortly before completing it, she fell from the top of the cargo net, cracking a rib and fracturing her pelvis.

After three months of recovery, she went back and did the officer training from the beginning."

Rider Pride said:
Oh sure, first you expect people to actually read before commenting; next you're going to want them to think and....and, who knows, assess the info too. 

Those are pretty high expectations. Good luck.  ;)

Not to detract from the lady's accomplishments, but it's certainly a "feel good" type story. I commend her on her tenacity and service.

Rider Pride said:

Well Mister Smart Ass (Said in a joking tone). I do not see why they made her redo basic. I just completed my basic this year as an officer WITH ncms. Then Moved on to do BOTP2/BMOQ2 and CAP. I did not have to redo my basic though because I did it with NCMs shockingly.

Hence why I don't understand why they made her redo it. Further if she cracked her ribs near the end, wouldn't they give her credit for the first few mods and just make her come back to do what she missed?

Why she would have to redo ALL of basic 3 times is my question.

::)

NSDreamer said:
Why she would have to redo ALL of basic 3 times is my question.

She was subject to the rules in place 15 years ago, you were subject to the rules in place this year.  The training system hasn't always been as forgiving regarding prior training and courses.

The answer lies in the Naval Reserves policies for training and recourses that were effective at the time, which may vary greatly from your recent personal experience.

Navalsnipr said:

Nice story.  She has her CD on in the news video attached to the article, however she appears to be missing her centennial pin as well...but now we're just getting picky lol

Michael O'Leary said:
She was subject to the rules in place 15 years ago, you were subject to the rules in place this year.  The training system hasn't always been as forgiving regarding prior training and courses.

The answer lies in the Naval Reserves policies for training and recourses that were effective at the time, which may vary greatly from your recent personal experience.

seen, thanks :)

Michael O'Leary said:

Correct (obviously ;) )

NAVRES NCMs go to CFB Borden (and occasionally St Jean) for what is, IIRC, an 11i-sh week BMQ.

NAVRES Officer candidates go to NOTC VENTURE (used to be CFB Chilliwack) for, IIRC, a 15-ish week BMOQ.

I went to Chilliwack as a Naval Reservist with a mixed bag of RegF Army and Air Force OCdts.

Back