• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV 6.0

I am not sure why we would look at old US hulls, when we have/had a pile of our own older ones around. The LAV 6 hulls are all brand-new production, as that was the cheapest solution. The USMC had their old hulls completely stripped down, the bottoms cut off, and new ones welded on - much more work and much more expense.

Likely:

"We have money to modify the fleet totally from the ground up"

"Why don't we buy new ones?"

"There is no budget for new ones"

"But the costs are the same or close?"

"There is no budget for new ones"

Most likely some sort of procurement magic, money could be spent so long as it was for "upgrades", not new equipment. If the Marines were able to get an extended production run, they may have been able to get new and very different hulls, but still naming them LAV 25 (LAV 25B?), much like the F/A-18 Superhornet is essentially an entirely new airplane compared to the F-18.

A bit of an out of the box suggestion, since the US Army is using Strykers, other countries are considering them and the USMC has a demonstrated need for a newer vehicle, maybe we could put together some sort of consortium and have a very long production run of Strykers for Canada and all the other customers done at once. Economies of scale, low unit costs, extended employment in London and other benefits would apply. If necessary, we could build "green" hulls and let the final customers add radios, electronics and their own turrets or RWS, and still get something like 80% of the benefit.

Ours were billed as upgrades, but in reality very little of the original vehicles survived into the "upgraded" ones. The USMC could have done the same thing, and saved money.

GD was producing LAVs for us, USMC, Kuwait, and possibly others in several variants during the 4 RCR tour a few years ago. Business looked good, and the Saudi deal (for which I have mixed feelings) will probably have them running at capacity for a while.

George Wallace said:
Wainwright has a rail line on/near the base.

http://www.army-armee.forces.gc.ca/assets/ARMY_Internet/images/news-nouvelles/2017/05/17-0146-pa01-2017-0146-012.jpg
United States Army M1A2 Abrams Main Battle Tanks prepare to be offloaded from a train at Canadian Forces Base/Area Support Unit Wainwright, Alberta during Exercise MAPLE RESOLVE on May 11, 2017.

It depends on the 'carrier' as to where they bring their cars.  We unloaded to the South of Base around the town of Hughenden.
I was reading through the thread and stumbled on this post. Wainwright rail line is operational, we've just shipped out a bunch of lav6/msvs on them

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I wonder if they couldn't be stored in armouries - you know - as displays for the regimental museums. 

Chris Pook said:
I wonder if they couldn't be stored in armouries - you know - as displays for the regimental museums.

Some of those museums are pretty small...

Pretty sure no reserve unit ever had those to begin with so what would be the link?.

Wasn't there some sort of movement years ago to have them as monument all over the country?

Spencer100 said:
Well here is where the LAV go to die in London ON.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/london-ontario-lav-1.4734920

I like how the gov calls the LAV 3 to LAV 6.0 an "upgrade" when it really looks like a total new build.  I guess it is easier to get it though the buying process calling it an Upgrade.

Calling it an upgrade probably does make it easier as it is now maintenance vice a purchase.  Same kind of thing happened years ago at a certain base wanting new shacks.  No money to build new with but lots for maintenance and repairs.  Solution was to tear down everything but the main corner beams and rebuild on them - maintenance and repair.

Chris Pook said:

Some are being converted to monuments.

Remius said:
Some of those museums are pretty small...

Pretty sure no reserve unit ever had those to begin with so what would be the link?.

Wasn't there some sort of movement years ago to have them as monument all over the country?

Perhaps they could be stored on the parade squares - four to the armoury? 

I had a tour of the General Dynamics factory in late 2013 or 2014.

It is a fascinating place.

Our LAV 6 are truly new vehicles. Very little survives from the old ones. It is much cheaper than doing what the US Marines were having done there at the same time - completely stripping their old LAV 25s, having the lower hulls cut off, and having new double-V hulls built and welded on.

There were stacks of cut armour pieces, ready to be welded together, half-hulls welded up and looking like giant plastic model kit pieces on longitudinally-rotatable jigs, and all sorts of interesting sights. Armour piece edges were precisely cut so that they naturally fitted together at the correct angles. Some brilliant work was being done. Many employees, especially on the management side, were ex-CF, including a few 4 RCR buds. The company takes its work seriously, partially due to that. R&D is constantly ongoing, based upon a lot of feedback from operators in many countries and some of the concepts being investigated were quite novel and ingenious.

LAV variants for other countries were also being built or upgraded. One was a turreted mortar variant, painted desert sand (I cannot remember the customer nation).

There is a LAV monument at Bowmanville, Ontario, on the north side of Highway 401. It is well-presented, but looks odd without all of the usual stuff tacked/tied on. That's the only one that I've seen.

There are LAV monuments popping up in a lot of places, find one near you! :  https://www.lavmonument.ca/en/index.html

my youngest in front of the Seaforth one, FB post https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157597675533957&set=a.10152825120173957.1073741827.566943956&type=3&theater

whiskey601 said:
There are LAV monuments popping up in a lot of places, find one near you! :  https://www.lavmonument.ca/en/index.html

Quoting my own post here. As far as I can tell, the cost to obtain and install a LAV monument is about 30,000, plus transportation costs. Does anyone know if that is close to correct? Reason I am asking is that are several young men from the area I grew up who was KIA in Afghanistan. It wouldn’t take long to fundraisers for a monument and there is lots of room for one.

Look on the FAQ page on the link that you posted.

This, for me, is right out of the blue--purchase with election in mind in contested ridings? And maybe to keep work going if/when Saudi contract is cancelled?
General Dynamics to produce 360 LAVs for Canadian Armed Forces

Minister of National Defence Harjit S. Sajjan was at General Dynamics Land Systems-Canada (GDLS-C) to announce the purchase of 360 Light Armoured Vehicles from the London, Ont. company for the Canadian Armed Forces.

Sajjan said in a statement, "I am pleased to be moving forward with the strengthening of our fleet of armoured combat support vehicles as committed to in our defence policy, Strong, Secure, Engaged, while at the same time supporting Canadian jobs and innovation through our partnership with GDLS-C.”

The cost of the project, announced on Friday, is estimated at up to $3 billion, with a repayable loan worth up to $650 million. The cost includes new infrastructure to house and maintain the vehicles [emphasis added].

As part of the deal, General Dynamics is expected to reinvest an amount equal to the contract's value into the economy.

Sajjan was joined by London Mayor Ed Holder and local MPs for the announcement.

General Dynamics has been at the centre of a debate around whether or not Canada should cancel the controversial Saudi arms deal.

General Dynamics has previously said that cancelling the contract would also hurt its workforce.

Representatives for the minister would not comment on whether this announcement affects the Saudi deal, but did say the minister will take questions after the announcement.
https://london.ctvnews.ca/general-dynamics-to-produce-360-lavs-for-canadian-armed-forces-1.4552567

Mark
Ottawa

Back