• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Last orders for troops arriving for daily duty with hangovers

Otts said:
As for the big fuzzy hats, that just sounds like a fun thing that could simply be for morale, so whats the harm in that? As long as its understood that anyone with one should be prepared to haul it around...still not a big deal IMO.
I was always impressed at the ability of the Royal Marines to produce, at no notice, several complete sets of fishnets etc for the inevitable Sod's Opera. It didn't seem to harm their battle effectiveness, although I'm sure it would have if they had to do a right flanking in those size 12 high heels (where DO you find stilettos that Large LCpl? In me mum's closet, sir!).

OldSoldier said:
I quite agree, BUT...

In 97 in Bosnia, every NSE pers in VK had fleece  early in the tour, whereas 2VP  waited until late in the tour for theirs. Same with desert boots. And the VK pers had A/C in each ISO trailer. Not so down at Coralici, Bihac or Zgon.

Where are the priorities? Do you blame the Battle Group guys for being a bit PO'd?

As for walking around with fluffy hats, as long as they were in civvies, who cares.

Are you talking about ROTO 0 where we went from IFOR to SFOR?
If so I was on that tour living down in Corolici with 1 CER and we noticed how well kitted out every one was in V.K. and it did piss us and the Pat's off.
If I remember right the Battle Group Commander got wind of it and those in V.K. who had Gucci kit had to turn it in and it was re issued to the field troop's.

As for fluffy hat's I was in KAF this last Canada Day and the welfare folk's were handing out fluffy hat's and all sort's of goodies and at the same time we had a group of Newfies with us and on Canada Day all were wearing big fluffy hat's,all sent from home in welfare parcel's.
I always make room for something that will lighten the mood for all like my water balloon launcher. ;)

Getting back on topic,all member's of the C.F. are entitled to 2 beer's per month when over seas,it's up to the Unit Commander to indent for the beer ration.

The trouble to day is many don't know how to drink responsibly,they just drink to get pissed and can't perform the next day where as I hate to say it,in the old day's we pissed it up and turned too and did our respective job's and if you didn't you got burned,like the old saying goes " You want to hoot with the owl's,you had better be ready to soar with the eagle's and don't complain."

Spr.Earl said:
Are you talking about ROTO 0 where we went from IFOR to SFOR?
If so I was on that tour living down in Corolici with 1 CER and we noticed how well kitted out every one was in V.K. and it did piss us and the Pat's off.
If I remember right the Battle Group Commander got wind of it and those in V.K. who had Gucci kit had to turn it in and it was re issued to the field troop's.

As for fluffy hat's I was in KAF this last Canada Day and the welfare folk's were handing out fluffy hat's and all sort's of goodies and at the same time we had a group of Newfies with us and on Canada Day all were wearing big fluffy hat's,all sent from home in welfare parcel's.
I always make room for something that will lighten the mood for all like my water balloon launcher. ;)

Getting back on topic,all member's of the C.F. are entitled to 2 beer's per month when over seas,it's up to the Unit Commander to indent for the beer ration.

The trouble to day is many don't know how to drink responsibly,they just drink to get pissed and can't perform the next day where as I hate to say it,in the old day's we pissed it up and turned too and did our respective job's and if you didn't you got burned,like the old saying goes " You want to hoot with the owl's,you had better be ready to soar with the eagle's and don't complain."

I was there too, and I got issued ALL my goretex gear in theatre... in July. Sunny and +35.  Every.  Day.  Stuff came in handy, thank god(s) I didn't have it when we got there with 2 feet of snow on my AEV.  Wouldn't have wanted to cheat myself.

When I was in Bosnia (Glamoc) we were scrounging for furniture in the garbage pile.  :-[

PMedMoe said:
When I was in Bosnia (Glamoc) we were scrounging for furniture in the garbage pile.  :-[

Hence why we need a degreed officer corps - so we have people in uniform who already have that experience and can draw on it as needed.  That and the binge drinking.

dapaterson said:
Hence why we need a degreed officer corps - so we have people in uniform who already have that experience and can draw on it as needed.  That and the binge drinking.
:rofl:
Actually, that's why we need some who went to civvy U (*cough* such as I, for example)
;D

Midnight Rambler said:
:rofl:
Actually, that's why we need some who went to civvy U (*cough* such as I, for example)
;D

Or even people who never finished university who still were commissioned and managed not to kill anyone (especially friendlies) after being crashed out on QRF even though they thought that they were stuck behind the officer's mess bar all night and had accepted several pints as a 'consolation prize' (but still had one up the spout 'just in case')

Back