• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lancaster Bomber crew shot down 7 Aug '44 Clarbec, France. 2 RCAF guys onboard.

GLSmith

Inactive
Reaction score
To commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Normandy D Day Landings and the campaign that followed, I wanted to tell the story of Avro Lancaster bomber LM111 WP-G, hit by flak and shot down by a night fighter whilst on a bombing mission over Normandy on the 7 August 1944. The determined escape of the Navigator, Flying Officer George ‘Leslie’ Smith, and the records of the other crew. To help remember what he and many millions during WW2 were prepared to do for our freedom, I hope you can read it, he was my grandfather..

There were also 2 RCAF crew members on board LM111 WP-G; Flying Officer D.Reid & Flight Sergeant H.M.Kiddie, I found a reference to LM111 WP-G on this site when I was researching the mission myself, so I say thank you, and if there are other relatives of the other crew tracing the mission themselves, you can read about some of it here. I hope you enjoy it..

https://sites.google.com/site/georgelesleysmith/home

Back