• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Ky. theatre owner, veteran, won't show 'Butler' because (it) stars Jane Fonda"

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of the Copyright Act ....
A central Kentucky theatre owner who trained pilots during the Vietnam War is refusing to show the nation's top movie, "The Butler" because one of the stars is Jane Fonda who was an outspoken opponent of the conflict.

Ike Boutwell owns MoviePalace and Showtime Cinemas in Elizabethtown. He tells The News-Enterprise .... he won't show the popular flick about a butler who served eight U.S. presidents because it has Fonda starring as former first lady Nancy Reagan.

Boutwell said Fonda's statements and demonstrations against the Vietnam War caused him to view her as a traitor, and he won't show any movie involving her in his theatres.

The Korean War veteran said: "I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down."
The Canadian Press, 22 Aug 13

I'm sure that this will will be heavily criticized due to the nature of the film, but I don't see why he shouldn't be allowed to show, or not show, a film in his theatre because of its content. Even if it were racially motivated, and not just due to his hatred for an over-rated and over the hill actress than he should have the right to do what he wants with his business, even if it means missing out on big money!

The irony here is that Jane Fonda is playing Nancy Reagen...

I'm waiting for the 'O' network and all it's lacky stations to come out complaining about racism.

Oprah Winfrey will play this to he hilt if she doesn't get her return on production back.

Back