• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Krispy Kreme or Tim Hortons?

"Now on the service side of things, here's my gripe.  Has anyone been to a Tims in Toronto?  Could the employees BE any more mentally dysfunctional?  I mean jeeze, you ask for a regular hot chocolate and an apple fritter and they give you this look like you're speaking Klingon to them or something."

- It ain't just Timmies, it's all over.  And it ain't the kids whose fourth language is English, either.  They learn quick - just wait and see them in ten years.  Nope, it's just some of the kids today.

Scary, when you think that they are the ones who will be looking after us in the Old Folks Home!

;D

"Starbucks is far superior."

- When you can buy champaign for the same price? 

:D

I am a firm believer in the cultural power of Timmies and it's coffee. When the power in town went out me and my friends figured we'd be clever and go get a coffee at the Tim's down the street from the school. When the teachers finally gave up on the power coming back on and turned us loose, off we went. When we finally got there I couldn't believe my eyes, the whole building was packed to overflowing with people trying to get coffee before it cooled. So I don't care how good KK doughnuts are. Tim's all the way.

Krispy Kreme? Never heard of it. Really, I never have. Any good?

They aren't in our neck of the woods yet Michael.

See here: http://clients.mapquest.com/krispy/mqinterconnect?link=find

NL is not even on the map!  :mad: Hope they don't even come here  >:D

LONG LIVE TIMMIES

Michael Baker said:
NL is not even on the map!  :mad: Hope they don't even come here  >:D

Well Labrador is, at least its a start  ;D

My wife and I spent three years in the Houston area and our donut shop was Shipley Donuts.

"Shipley Donuts is the name of a popular doughnut chain in Texas and some other southern states. The Shipley chain originated in Houston, Texas, in the early twentieth century. Shipley doughnuts contain a special blend of whole wheat and potato flour resulting in a less greasy product and melting texture lighter than some of its competitors.

It was 1936, near the end of the Great Depression, when Lawrence Shipley, Sr. created a recipe for doughnuts. Cut by hand and served hot throughout the day, the doughnuts were 5 cents a dozen and were only sold wholesale. The product was so successful that it started to sell on the retail market in the mid-1940s.

Shipley's son and grandson, Lawrence Jr. and Lawrence III, carry on the tradition of producing doughnuts and kolaches. There are more than 190 stores around the nation in Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee, and Texas, 86 of which are in the Houston area." :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipley_Donuts

Well, here the recipe for Krisy Kreme doughnuts.  Just buy the pillsbury's crescent roll dough to use. 

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

1 Can Biscuits - not flaky, buttermilk, or
      any special type. Just regular biscuits.

Poke a hole in the center of each.

Deep fry until brown (or fry in skillet)
  turning doughnuts once. Do not crowd.

Drain well on paper towels.

Because the biscuit dough has little, if
  any, sugar, you will want to either roll them
  in powdered sugar, cinnamon and
  sugar mix (1/2 powdered sugar and 1/2
  granulated sugar with cinnamon to taste),
  or glaze them (regular or chocolate).

and if you can't find the pillsbury rolls, here's the recipe for them:
Pillsbury Crescent Rolls

2 pk Active Dry Yeast
                    3/4 c  Warm Water (105 degrees)
                    1/2 c  Sugar
                      1 ts Salt
                      2 lg Eggs
                    1/2 c  Shortening
                      4 c  Unbleached Flour
                Butter Or Regular Margarine, Softened

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.  Stir
    in the sugar, salt, eggs, shortening and half of the flour into the
    yeast mixture.

Add the remaining flour blending until smooth.  Scrape the dough from
    the sides of the bowl and cover with a cloth dampened in warm water.
    (The cloth should feel wet, but not be so wet that water drips onto
    the dough.) Let rise in a warm place (85 degrees F.), until doubled,
    about 1 1/2 hours. Divide the dough in half, rolling each half into a
    12-inch circle 1/4 inch thick. Spread with the soft butter and cut
    each circle into 16 wedges. Roll up each wedge beginning at the
    largest end. Place, point side down, on a greased baking sheet. Curve
    to form crescents. Cover and let rise until double, 1 hour. Preheat
    the oven to 400 degrees F and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until
    they are a rich golden brown. Brush with soft butter.

Makes 32 crescent rolls.

284_226 said:
If you've got six minutes to spare, here's everything you need to know about Krispy Kreme and Timmies doughnuts.

It's a few years old, but the data is still valid.

http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20021204-canamdonuts.asx

You may never look at another doughnut the same way again  :eek:
I never have looked at them in a good light I eat maybe one or two a year...MRM can contest to that...I do however drink my fair share of Tim's coffee and hot chocolate...if you looked up what is in the coffee you most likely wouldn't consume that either.

HL

I'd never heard of either of them until i came to Canada. But Christ, Timmies is an instittution over there and its great. What better way to bludge off work then to nick over to the Timmies off base in Pet as soon as you get a chance. I cant remember exactly but a small tea with milk was only a $1.20 or something like that. Thats fantastic! Even if it is Canadian tea. Down here we'r spoilt with tea's because of our proximity to the Subcontinant so i really thought Timmies tea was substandard and cheap. But for a dollar twenty i'm not complaining.

And the donuts...far to tempting. Again, i'd never seen a whole lot of Donuts before like the ones in Canada. I just thought it was a Simpsons joke that Homer had that much choice. They were awesome.

Krispy Kremes are good but the closest one is about an hour and a half away(with my dad driving).So I've only had them twice..2 Krispy Kreme Donuts my entire life Bought like 1 dozen coming home from the Toronto Ex, get home at midnight, wake up at 9, every single donut was eaten...only one I ate was the Free Sample.

Timmys however, is a 10-15 minute walk away. Nothing is better than a Double Double,Turkey Bacon Club Sandwhich and a donut.

After watching that video...I really feel like Donuts.

Ref coffee, this is from my latest Comsumers Report:

March 2007     
Starbucks wars

MCDONALD’S WINS Its premium coffee was strong, like Starbucks, but tasted better, our testers said. Hoping that consumers are fed up with asking Starbucks for “double-caramel skim half-caf macchiato” before they’ve even had their jolt of joe, Burger King, Dunkin’ Donuts, and McDonald’s have been boosting their coffee cachet.

McDonald’s Premium issues the slightly icky invitation to “wake up and smell your life” with a “richer, bolder” coffee; BK Joe suggests that you “wake up with the King”; Dunkin’ Donuts touts its usual coffee, but with more flavors and attitude. “My mouth can’t form these words,” customers in a recent ad sing when faced with the options in a fancy shop: Himan plu cento, for one.

We compared the rivals with Starbucks, all in basic black--no flavors, milk, or sugar--and you know what? McDonald’s beat the rest. Our trained tasters, who visited two locations from each company, spill the beans below (prices are an average of what we paid for the closest thing to a medium cup).

McDonald's, $1.35, was decent and moderately strong. Although it lacked the subtle top notes needed to make it rise and shine, it had no flaws.

Burger King, $1.40, looked like coffee but tasted more like hot water. It was a little sour, with an unusual hint of chocolate.

Dunkin' Donuts, $1.65, was weak, watery, and pricier than Starbucks. It was inoffensive, but it had no oomph. (If you brew with Dunkin’ beans at home, you can make it stronger.)

Starbucks, $1.55, was strong, but burnt and bitter enough to make your eyes water instead of open.

CR's take. Try McDonald’s, which was cheapest and best, or make your own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all only OK, but for different reasons.

Remember this is MacDonald's "premium" coffee not their regular stuff.

Enjoy!  :D

Baden  Guy said:
CR's take. Try McDonald’s, which was cheapest and best, or make your own coffee--just call it something special. The other three were all only OK, but for different reasons.

Remember this is MacDonald's "premium" coffee not their regular stuff.

Enjoy!  :D

I was pleasantly surprised at McD's coffee not that long ago. I've avoided it for years, it was no better the dishwater before  :-X Now, it's actually decent.

But Timmie's now, that's a darn fine cuppa joe. Hand's down, my fav. Donuts are okay, but it's the coffee that counts.

I have it on good authority that Starbucks dumps battery acid in their coffee.

Since Timmies went to their new donut making method they suck. They used to be made fresh but now are more or less just a frozen lump of crap that they thaw out for you.

Gramps said:
Since Timmies went to their new donut making method they suck. They used to be made fresh but now are more or less just a frozen lump of crap that they thaw out for you.

Are you serious? That is too bad. Years ago when I worked at "Timmy's" we did have a baker that made them, and as a server working night shift, we would fill them and get them ready ourselves. As for "Krispy's" the only place you get get them now where I live, would be at "Walmart". I don't know where they ship them from to get them there, but I have always found the Krispy's to be too heavy for my liking. I never tried thier coffee, so I'm not sure what it's like.

"William's" Hot Choco has gotta be my fave though!

~Rebecca~

Anyone know if there is a Krispy Kreme anywhere near Trenton or are they all out of Ontario now?

I've never had Krispy Kreme, and I'm not really a baked goods (hmm am I really female??) or coffee person, so I don't spend much time at Timmies either. However, I do like their soup and sandwiches!

Back