• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kremlin turns back clock to using typewriters to avoid security leaks

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
??? Seriously?

A Russian state service in charge of safeguarding Kremlin communications is looking to purchase an array of old-fashioned typewriters to prevent leaks from computer hardware, sources said Thursday.

(...)

Pro-Kremlin newspaper Izvestia said the state service was looking to purchase 20 typewriters because using computers to prepare top-secret documents may no longer be safe.

(...)

Unlike printers, every typewriter has its own individual pattern of type so it is possible to link every document to a machine used to type it, Izvestia said.

(...)

link on Typewriter

George Wallace said:
Of course no one knows that every word typed is saved on the tape..... >:D
In Soviet Russia, tape saves you!

:bowing:

Russian communism was a comedy machine. :)

Three men sit in a jail in (KGB headquarters) Dzerzhinsky Square. The first asks the second why he has been imprisoned, and he says, "Because I criticized Karl Radek." The first man responds, "But I am here because I spoke out in favor of Radek!" They turn to the third man who has been sitting quietly in the back, and ask him why he is in jail too. He responds, "I'm Karl Radek."

tomahawk6 said:
they are going to need a source for new ribbons

and a disposal process for the used ones....

Ahhhh typing.......  Remember the 4 page, carbon paper, message forms??!!  You had to use a razor blade to scratch out any typo. At least you could smoke while you typed. Good times.... :coffee:

tomahawk6 said:
Russian communism was a comedy machine. :)

Three men sit in a jail in (KGB headquarters) Dzerzhinsky Square. The first asks the second why he has been imprisoned, and he says, "Because I criticized Karl Radek." The first man responds, "But I am here because I spoke out in favor of Radek!" They turn to the third man who has been sitting quietly in the back, and ask him why he is in jail too. He responds, "I'm Karl Radek."

Friday, 19 July 2013 09:00 
NDAA Indefinite Detention Without Trial Approved by Appeals Court

link here http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/constitution/item/16026-ndaa-indefinite-detention-without-trial-approved-by-appeals-court

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"

"If they come for me in the morning, they'll come for you in the evening"

"Power corrupts  ...."

add your own here ...

A bit more about one of the drivers behind the appeal.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hedges

Turning back the clock to a more open government seems a good first step.  It wont happen to the citizenry have had enough.

The point that I was attempting to make is that one should not feel too complacent.

Incoherent? If the topic is typewriter ribbons and how they can be compromised - guilty.

I tried to  extend the Karl Radek example of Government intolerance in USSR in the past to Western society today.

I feel that the rejection of the NDAA appeal does not bode well and is relevant.

I hope that helps.

I have nothing more to add regarding typewriters.

And would like to exit at this point.

Inquisitor said:
The point that I was attempting to make is that one should not feel too complacent.

Incoherent? If the topic is typewriter ribbons and how they can be compromised - guilty.

I tried to  extend the Karl Radek example of Government intolerance in USSR in the past to Western society today.

I feel that the rejection of the NDAA appeal does not bode well and is relevant.

I hope that helps.

I have nothing more to add regarding typewriters.

And would like to exit at this point.

These off topic posts are becoming a habit with you.

One I suggest you break rather quick.

My friend was telling me the last typewriter factory in India closed shop after making a large run of around 1,000 machine which they felt will serve the market for a decade at least. The problem of course beyond the tapes, is that you still have a paper copy that can be easily scanned or digitized. 

It is still vulnerable to classical spying, though you don't have the problem of emf emanation and you can't copy 10 + Million pages/sec. Specific problems: knowing what is typed with a microphone, paper need attention to be conserved, fire can also be very problematic. At least it's not vulnerable to cyber attack which is a huge plus considering how impossible it is to write a bug free software.

I am very skeptical that the Kremlin is switching back to typewriter for everything as Russia got the capability to manufacture their own chips from A to Z if they want to as they bought 90nm tools from Amd about 5 years ago.

recceguy said:
These off topic posts are becoming a habit with you.

One I suggest you break rather quick.

Does anybody have a comfy chair for him?

Kirkhill said:
Does anybody have a comfy chair for him?

Maybe some poking with soft cushions and nothing but a cup of coffee til lunchtime... >:D

Back