• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Korean War question

disqx

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I have a relatively straight forward question to ask. What was the typical strength of the Canadian contribution (Navy, Army, Air Force) at any given time during the Korean War? Note that I'm not referring to the total number of personnel who served - 26,791 - but what I'm looking is a 'point in time' number, for example, 9200 Canadians were in the Korean theatre on April 1952.

I've read in AHQ Report #62 that the CASF was at around 8000 in 1951. But I don't know about the Navy and Air Force numbers.

Thank you for any assistance,

Dennis S.

One brigade (25th Canadian Brigade), to include three battalions of infantry and one squadron of armour.  This remained unchanged from I believe late 1951 to the end of the war.

Don't have a clue about Navy and Air Force, but suggest you look at John Melady's book.

Just an added note.
57 Independent Field Squadron, RCE(my father's unit) was part of the
25 Canadian Infantry Brigade in Korea also. :) :salute:

Just find the answer I was looking for. Thanks to all respondents.

According to <a href="http://www.forces.gc.ca/admpol/eng/defence/peace_pastsupops_e.htm">DND Defence Policy Group</a>:

"United Nations Command Korea (1950 â “ 1953). This mission was established under the United Nations Security Council Resolution of 7 July 1950. Canada contributed 6,146 personnel from the three elements throughout the mission's duration."

To my knowledge Canada had a squadron of North Stars running cargo.  We also had some fighter pilots flying with the USAF, Sqn. Leader Andy McKenzie who was shot down and released by the Chinese in 1954 (note the date here folks)

The RCN had several destroyers serving with the UN fleet, I think it was 10 over the course of the war.

Any one got better info?

Dennis,
AHQ 062 is probably the most accurate, you will see that on 12 July 1950 our secretary State External Affairs announced the placing of 3 destroyers under command of the "new" United Nations Command.  On 25 July 1950 426(Transport) Squadron began moving from Dorval to end up in Japan.  On 7 August 1950 the PM announced the forming of the Canadian Army Special Force, a brigade for overseas service.  On 9 August 1950 recruiting started and by 18 August 9979 personnel were recruited, the authorized strength for the force.

Your numbers you have for the ongoing commitment are probably the best, but realize that the war changed significantly from the first fall of Seoul, to the Pusan(Naksan river) perimeter, to the landings at Inchon.  Thus the deployment of the brigade changed to only 2PPCLI shipping out because "everyone" thought the war would be over by Christmas.  We all know what happened then, "the Chinese volunteers" entered the fray.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Cheers
Sandbag

larry Strong said:
Artillery was there also

Poor artillery.  They're like the bass player in a rock band.
Everyone needs them, but no one remembers who they are.  ;)

Trinity said:
Poor artillery.   They're like the bass player in a rock band.
Everyone needs them, but no one remembers who they are.    ;)

Given their motto of UBIQUE, I really didn't feel the need to mention them - aren't they a given?

This is true, however Dennis was asking for a #, and was just including the Arty Regt as part of the OOB

larry Strong said:
This is true, however Dennis was asking for a #, and was just including the Arty Regt as part of the OOB

I can't remember now - was it a regiment or a battery of the RCHA that was in Korea?  I thought it was rotating batteries, the way the armour rotated three squadrons through...??

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/organization/orbat25bde.htm

Thanks Art - or I could have checked my own site...doh!  A regiment it is.

Also a big Thank you Art, The Korean war is not exactly my main area of expertise

Back