• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit Retention (Lack of it!!!) Upon Departing Saint Jean

DirtyDog said:
This isn't meant as a slight to the Air Force, but what was the reasoning for them recieving the kit first?  I realise I don't fully understand all the operational conditions of the Air Force, but what am I'm missing here?

They didn't "receive" the kit first. They actually bought and paid for it for their soldiers. The Army didn't.

The Air Force did that while CTS was still drawing up plans on the Tac Vest!!  >:D The Army is only now getting around to buying cadpat raingear for their troops.

Run a site search ... it's all explained here somewhere ... many times.

ArmyVern said:
They didn't "receive" the kit first. They actually bought and paid for it for their soldiers. The Army didn't.

The Air Force did that while CTS was still drawing up plans on the Tac Vest!!  >:D The Army is only now getting around to buying cadpat raingear for their troops.

Run a site search ... it's all explained here somewhere ... many times.
Seen.

Did a search, but failed miserably.

Obviously some of the finer points of supply and issue are lost on me. ;)

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Must be an RCR thing.  Our entire BN has it regardless of tour etc (seeing as you use Arid Gortex oversea's anyway).

What item are you talking about? That would help.

Rain gear?? That's being rolled out now on a priority basis to the next battle groups in line for deployment ...

camochick said:
Yeah and the new recruits are getting tac vests now too instead of webbing!!

:O dear sweet jesus I got screwed. Here I am, posted to Brigade, QL3 qualified, and I didn't get my mitts on a TacVest until just yesterday !(A year and a half after I was at St. jean  :rage: ). CadPat raingear too? Man...where the hell was that when i was in St. Hubert walking through bogs in the leaky rubber stuff  :mad:.

I agree with the general consensus of the thread in saying that "Op tempo requires the gear first, students can wait". However, that being said, basic kit is a must, a MUST for us green types, correction, basic USABLE kit is a must. My theory is.. if its been replaced, they have something better that can make the lives of troops (and recruits) somewhat more bearable.

For now, I'm just a sig with a dream, where one day, all troops can live in a world where their ability is no longer limited by the quality of their kit, but common sense they may or may not possess ;D

ArmyVern said:
Is that what was actually said -- or is that his translation of it?

Actually said. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate translation on behalf of the employee but it struck us as a fairly amusing reason. I understand that field kit will be issued at Gagetown, but we all live off base, and it's winter, it strikes me that something like a pair of gloves should at least be accommodated. Then again, I know of at least one person who went to the same desk and demanded a flight suit, so I can understand if they just want to get rid of us all together ;)

DirtyDog said:
That doesn't bother me so much as I have one of those. ;)

CADPAT rain gear however.....

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
Must be an RCR thing.  Our entire BN has it regardless of tour etc (seeing as you use Arid Gortex oversea's anyway).

Yes raingear.  The airforce/army combo raingear.  We all got issued it here in BN.  I assumed that dirtydogs post was in ref to the Relish Gortex CADPAT.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
We were told it was on it's way in an O-group several months ago.

Hopefully we see it before next summer....

In the meantime, stealth suits work wonders.

warrior vegetable said:
Actually said. I'm sure it was just an unfortunate translation on behalf of the employee but it struck us as a fairly amusing reason. I understand that field kit will be issued at Gagetown, but we all live off base, and it's winter, it strikes me that something like a pair of gloves should at least be accommodated. Then again, I know of at least one person who went to the same desk and demanded a flight suit, so I can understand if they just want to get rid of us all together ;)

It's something I would say to a person I knew ... but my sarcasm voice would be on.

You have gloves no? You should have gloves already. DEU gloves. Combat gloves with green liners. Something. Not none.

ArmyVern said:
It's something I would say to a person I knew ... but my sarcasm voice would be on.

You have gloves no? You should have gloves already. DEU gloves. Combat gloves with green liners. Something. Not none.

DEU Gloves + Combats = Stern talking to ...tried that when i got to Borden...didn't fly too well with the CSM there :(

rmc_wannabe said:
DEU Gloves + Combats = Stern talking to ...tried that when i got to Borden...didn't fly too well with the CSM there :(
Since we faced a good possibility of cold inujuries in Meaford, our staff told us to dig out DEU gloves/toques, civvy kit, anything to keep us from freezing.... all the while they cursed Saint Jean.

Oh we faced too in Borden... but we still got a nice little lecture about it lol.  ;)

My previous CO and RSM got a set (cortex rain gear) issued a couple years ago to "trial" when they some some troops walking around in some non-issued CADPAT gear.  Right out in the middle of the field and the TQ had to pull in some favours to get the CO and RSM a set.  Honestly those two trialling them.  From the vehicle to the tent or building.  What kind of trial is that.  Jealousy is what the majority of us thought.

rmc_wannabe said:
I agree with the general consensus of the thread in saying that "Op tempo requires the gear first, students can wait". However, that being said, basic kit is a must, a MUST for us green types, correction, basic USABLE kit is a must. My theory is.. if its been replaced, they have something better that can make the lives of troops (and recruits) somewhat more bearable.

OK, look at it this way.

While the gortex cadpat rain gear is being delivered into the system and distributed out to those pointy enders who LIVE in the field vice offices first ... there is NO MORE olive drab rain gear being brought into the system (why would we buy more of it too??). So, with there being no more olive drab raingear coming into the system, they had to send the cadpat stuff to Saint Jean else the recruits would have ZERO raingear to wear.

So, you have olive drab rain gear for now ... and when there is ENOUGH cadpat raingear in the system for all Army folks -- you'll get it too. But, you've got raingear for now don't you?? It is USEABLE kit ... it's not the latest and greatest ... but it's useable. It's faults have been noted and that is why it's being replaced ... relax ... yours will come. It's not like you are getting fucked around on purpose by anyone.

So yes, it's being replaced so your theory is correct, but when the budget is only so much and they can only bring in so much at a time -- someone has to wait ... and it sure as heck shouldn't be anyone posted into a Unit that going on Ops or into the field waiting while a student wearing an Army uniform sitting mostly in a classroom gets it first.

If the world were perfect, and our budget from the taxpayers infinite ... all of us would all get the exact same kit, of the proper type, at exactly the same moment in time. But, you live in Canada ... and we just don't see those types of budgets in this nation of ours. So the system does the best it can to look after their pers on a priority basis. No-one has ever said you don't need it -- they just said ... others need it more and first.

That's the big picture.

rmc_wannabe said:

Do you have combat gloves or not?? If not -- then it is perfectly acceptable AND allowable for you to wear your DEU gloves with your combats. Word up.

If that's the case, perhaps you should have your CoC address the issue? CSMs have been known to be wrong.

Thanks Vern for snapping me back to reality  ;D. Still, I wouldn't mind a toque now a days :( (St. Jean took mine ...and i always get posted when its either summer and i don't need one, or winter and there's a shortage...go figure eh lol  )

rmc_wannabe said:
Thanks Vern for snapping me back to reality  ;D. Still, I wouldn't mind a toque now a days :( (St. Jean took mine ...and i always get posted when its either summer and i don't need one, or winter and there's a shortage...go figure eh lol  )

I'll take it then that you did have combat gloves to wear .... but were caught by the CSM wearing DEU gloves anyway??  >:D

ArmyVern said:
I'll take it then that you did have combat gloves to wear .... but were caught wearing DEU gloves anyway??  >:D

I had combat gloves (mortar gloves) however at minus 40 they tend to loose their appeal  :-[. But on the plus side, I learned not to do it again :D

rmc_wannabe said:
I had combat gloves (mortar gloves) however at minus 40 they tend to loose their appeal  :-[. But on the plus side, I learned not to do it again :D

Combat gloves aren't mortar gloves.

Then again ... DEU gloves wouldn't work at -40 either.

Relax Schultz... we're in our winter gear now. You won't need the rain gear till next spring.

Back