• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kit for FIBUA

RiflemanPhil

Inactive
Reaction score
What sort of kit would one want to buy/and or take with you for a long FIBUA exercise? Like what would you recommend I get for urban warfare, and where can i get it?
*edited

Phil, I would suggest using proper grammar and correcting your question if you want those that have the experience to answer your question to actually answer it.  Just a hint.....

Ha, ha, sorry about that, as soon as I posted that, I realized I was using "net-speak" (I was also on MSN at the time). I'm not sure how to fix it though, can you tell me how, and could you also respond to the question?

Too fix, click on modify button, upper right of the post you want to fix within 24hrs of posting.

Too pack, have to ask, did you try search first?

Ben

Edit: if you update your profile, someone might be able to direct you to LCF kit locations near you.  You can always try the Canex first.

This whistle.

If there is a war, blow it and we can come help you.

Seriously...they will assign you everything you need for OBUA.

If you're desperate for stuff to buy, the only things you MIGHT want to get, are kneepads or a Camelbak.

But you could just do a search. Kit threads are coming out the arse.

I would definitely suggest a small white fuel (aka naphtha) stove, such as a whisperlite. It's great for making hot chocolate/coffee/mixes of both and it can really warm up a FIBUA house room.

Cheers,
Pinky

The only thing ive ever bought myself that I really needed and didnt have, was a good pair of gloves.
All the issue ones I had were too clumsy and thick to do too much with, untill I found a great pair of black work gloves. Theyre indestructable, and a wicked fit. Some guys cut the tips of the fingers off to make it easier to operate buckles and bullets and those sorts of things.

I also bought some knee pads, but those dont need explaining... but Ive had those since I got in and used them quite a bit for conventional warfare training as well. Other than that though, there really is nothing else you could need that the army doesnt give you.

Keep in mind, I belong to a reserve unit and im not privy to the kind of state of the art kit the regF gets... like knee pads and a good pair of combat gloves  ;D

YES SAVE YOUR MONEY. IF YOUR WIHT THE CANADIAN ARMY AND YOUR DOING FIBUA YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED KNEE PADS AND ELBO PADS ALREADY. SAVE YOUR CASH YOU DONT NEED ANY EXTRAS

LAWN DART said:
YES SAVE YOUR MONEY. IF YOUR WIHT THE CANADIAN ARMY AND YOUR DOING FIBUA YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN ISSUED KNEE PADS AND ELBO PADS ALREADY. SAVE YOUR CASH YOU DONT NEED ANY EXTRAS

Where's the fire? Gear down, big truck. Let go of the SHIFT button, it'll give you carpel tunnel.

As already stated  you will be given the gear that you require.  If you decide to buy any equipment go through the training yourself, then make informed decision on what "YOU" need to do your job better.  What might work for 1 solider might not work as well for someone else. 

Hope this saves you a few bucks

Roger
Oh and just a question, do we always have to wear the issue tac vests? Just personally, I like to be able to carry a bit more kit. I'm looking at a South African urban tac vest rite now. Also what would you recommend for camelbacks and glove types? cp gear? and what brand?

RiflemanPhil said:
Roger
Oh and just a question, do we always have to wear the issue tac vests? Just personally, I like to be able to carry a bit more kit. I'm looking at a South African urban tac vest rite now. Also what would you recommend for camelbacks and glove types? cp gear? and what brand?

lol yes you have to wear your tac vest all the time. Its part of your full fighting order, and what canada has decided we will use. If Canada decided we would use a south african vest, we would wear those, but it didnt, so we don't.

If you have all the kit youre supposed to have, youll have a hard time finding room for things to carry that you actually need.

the tac vast is fine for fibua. You can get a pack if you need to carry more kit. Knee pads and a camelback are things that you were not issued and I would honestly say you need them. (Ive been in for 3 years and I honestly would say they are required) The knee pads prevent injury so you can keep on fighting and the camelback keeps you hydrated so you can keep fighting. They are issued to regs but being in the reserves I know we don't get this nice kit. So, invest in knee pads and a camelback. Everything else you need is issued.

Don't waste your hard earned money on cpgear just because it's cadpat. The reserves are getting our small packs now (I've already got mine) and you can put a hydration bladder in there. That means there's no need to spend extra cash on tactical covers etc. I've never had a problem with my CamelBak brand hydration system so I have no problem suggesting them to you.

As for knee pads I know a few guys that use volleyball gell kneepads. Apparently the single, wide strap around the leg is much more comfortable than the usual 2 strap system.

Like Daidalous said, go on ex first, then decide what you need. It's easy to look at someone else's kit and say "I need one of those!" but it just turns out to be dead weight on your back. Let your needs decide what kit you pack, not vice versa. And you won't know what your needs are until you have some experience.

Cheers,
Pinky

Armymedic said:
Knee pads and elbow pads...

Definitely, hitting your knees and elbows off of concrete walls/floors and window sills sucks a$$.

One thing you might wanna get is a carabiner; if one of your FIBUA SOPs is "No slings on weapons," you can use it to attach the rear sling swivel of your rifle to a loop on your tac-vest. It keeps your rifle secured to your shoulder making acquisition easier and providing a way to free your hands when using the "thump-thump" or climbing ladders/obstacles with other tools.  ;)

This is what I was taught in Demo Support during this summer; take it for what it's worth.

Back