• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston thread - merged

Another thumbs up for Amherstview.  We bought here in July, and the commute isn't that bad as long as you hit the right traffic.  You get a little more house for your money, and it is quiet.  We have a new Barr home here, and other than the minor issues you find with any builder, we are happy.

Good day all,

Your thoughts on this advice about buying in Kingston pls?

Avoid the "twin oaks" and "sexton place" areas of Bayridge and Taylor Kidd blvd - avoid heaton road and pembridge cres north of Taylor Kidd blvd (south of taylor kidd blvd is fine) avoid boxwood and Lombardy unless he doesn't mind train tracks close by.  Truedell and Lancaster elementary are two of the best west end schools and hard/impossible to get into unless u live in their catchment areas - there unfortunately is no map of catchment areas easily available online but I'm sure LDSB would have the info.

HI, I'm gonna be posted to RMC (KIngston) with my family this year and i'd like to know what do you guys think about the PMQs over there. I read some comments who have been writen a couple years ago. I'd like to know if i should bother asking for one or if i should buy a house even if its for 3 years only.

Thanks

Kids? Ages?

The English public school on base is scheduled to close this year, with a new one opening up in the east end, if that makes a difference.  English Catholic is almost next door to where the new school is going up.  French public is on the base, don't know exactly where the French Catholic is, but it's not near the base.

Just throwing that out there, if school location is a factor at all.  Current situation is not what September will look like.

Generally they are small with no basement or garage, if that makes a difference.

There is only one French Language Public School in Kingston right now and it is located on the base.  But it was supposed to move last fall to merge with the French High School last year.  I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a French Catholic School in Kingston.

Lundy's Lane and JE Horton, both East End Schools will be merged into the Sir John A. Macdonald Public School which is being built now.  They are supposed to move this coming fall.

The Catholic School in the East End is St Martha Catholic School.

You are indeed wrong.

There is a french catholic elementary school (Monseigneur Rémi-Gaulin) located near the Division street ramp to the 401.  As well as a french catholic high school which includes jr high (Ecole Secondaire Catholique Marie-Rivier) near the Sir John A. MacDonald blvd ramp to the 401.

Everything there is taught in french except for english classes. Class sizes from first hand experience avg 20-30, i've never seen a class over 35 kids while I attended either school.

I've been by both a number of times, but have not paid attention.  I stand corrected.

Honestly, from an investment side of things, purchasing seems like a good idea. I know it is only three years, but the real estate market, from what I have noticed (I live in Kingston) has been fairly stable in terms of housing prices. Also, if you own where you currently are, the military is really good about assisting in selling, paying for commission, and all that fun expense that goes with purchasing. And someone might be able to speak further to this, but coming from out of province, we were supposed to pay a "land transfer tax" for the first time we purchased here; however, because it was a posting move, the military covered the cost of that. If you end up being here longer, or which to purchase a home (the military does allot some time for you to buy a home after posting I THINK-look that up for sure) you might not be able to access the benefits you are given allowance to initially. Another thing to watch out for that we were shocked by- the municipal taxes here are quite high. It was a little bit of a shock to the system.

That being said, I have heard that the Q's are nice, the rent is fair, and they are located near the water, which is a nice benefit. There are lots of parks on base, dog parks nearby, services close at hand. If you have an other half that plans on working, it might be a little bit of a drive for them, as the base is on the edge of town, and there is only one bridge that allows access to the downtown area. (I have heard that traffic sucks there) I hope that this helps! Good luck!

The renovated PMQs are nice, but expect to pay over $1000 a month for them. Base is in a nice location, and walking distance to RMC which is faster than driving because of the traffic. If you're buying a house, even just up Hwy 15, expect 15-20 minute drive during rush hour.

Yeah, it should be, it is so much less efficient than the one in Edmonton. Fastest Timmies in North America, I swear!

There's a two to three month wait list for priority 1 right now in Kingston, a friend of mine just got approved for a 2 bdrm apartment though after a one month wait. Timmies is indeed in the Canex off of Niagara. As said by Puckchaser, the traffic can be significantly bad in the mornings and early evenings from the Fort Henry/Canex area to RMC/Gym. I live up towards Division street off-base and at times it can take me 10-minutes just to get to the road just past Canex to head up towards the 401.

Edit: In the single family Q's its about 200 a month for heat/hw, FYI.

An O Gp point last week was that Qs in Kingston are at a zero forecast availability right now; suspect that will change in the next month or so as troops receive their posting messages and begin giving their notices to CFHA.

I'm coming to CFP Kingston this fall, and got a Q through CFHA. It is 6c Assoro Crest in the apartment building, and I have been told that I'm getting a basement suite  :(
Can anyone tell me how well insulated those basement suites are? Am I going to hear the wind howling through the cracks in the wall? Is it central heating? When do they turn on heating, or is it something I can regulate? (I remember turning on heat in Sept last time I was in Kingston :-[)
Does it ever get sunlight in the basement or will I grow mold and wilt and weather away in darkness? Coming from the West Coast, this is pretty daunting!

If you go to the Kingston CFHA website you can see an outside picture of the apartments.  If you still have questions give CFHA a call.  And don't forget you are entitled to a DIT to check it out.

Apartments are heated by steam, and each apt has its own thermostat.

I would say the apartments are more insulated than the actual PMQs, because the walls are concrete. Other PMQs are wood frame insulated with newspapers from the 60s.

I thought I'm entitled to HHT vice DIT since I am going there to rent instead of going back to a place that I own?
If heat is steam, does that mean hot water is also included instead of within hydro?

I was in a house pmq, and only paid bulk water included in rent. I think it's similar for the apartments. The power used for hot water tanks if your own dime I bet.

Back