• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston Pen to close

Retired AF Guy

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Re-produced under the usual caveats of the Copyright Act.

Kingston Penitentiary opened in 1835 to close in budget cuts

Conservatives to shut facility in Ontario, CBC News has learned

CBC News Posted: Apr 19, 2012 10:39 AM ET Last Updated: Apr 19, 2012 10:52 AM ET
The federal government will close the maximum-security penitentiary in Kingston, Ont., that opened in 1835 and houses some of Canada's most notorious prisoners, CBC News has learned.

The closure is part of a round of federal budget cuts, CBC's Alison Crawford is reporting.

The government wants to cut $5.2 billion from the federal coffers by 2014-15, and plans to cut $295 million from the Correctional Services Canada (CSC) budget by then.

The Kingston Penitentiary opened in 1835 and can hold up to 421 inmates, according to information on the CSC website. There are more than 460 employees.

The facility has housed some of Canada's most notorious killers, including Mohammad Shafia, who along with his wife and son killed three of his daughters and his first wife.

Among those also reportedly imprisoned there are:
Paul Bernardo, who was convicted in 1995 of kidnapping, raping and murdering southern Ontario teenagers Kristen French and Leslie Mahaffy.
Russell Williams, the former colonel who was sentenced to life in prison in 2010 for raping and killing Cpl. Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Lloyd.

Public Safety Minister Vic Toews is expected to give details about the planned closure in Ottawa on Thursday afternoon.

Article Link

Toews is supposed to make the official announcement at 13:00 ET. It will be interesting to see what their time lines for closing the prison down are going to like.

As unfortunate as it is to see KP close, it probably costs more than twice as much as a similar and newer max security prison to run. I hope they clean it up a bit and open parts up as a museum. A lot of history there.

PuckChaser said:
I hope they clean it up a bit and open parts up as a museum. A lot of history there.
The Corrections Museum is already right across the road; there's a lot of history there too.

They should move the stuff from the museum to KP (so much is not shown because they currently don't have the room) and refurbish the cells as offices.  I saw this at an old prison in Scotland and it was actially really nice.

I suspect, however, that it will get sold for relatively minor profit, with the land completely rebuilt for outrageously-priced condos....

...with a Starbucks, for Queen's west campus' students.  ;)

I agree, Strike. Prison Museum is fantastic, and they could make it even better as a tourist attraction. Look at how many people go visit Alcatraz. KP doesn't have the same Hollywood wow, but its one of Canada's oldest prisons.

JM: I can see tons of people wanting it sold, but Kingston council has a huge history of blocking anything even remotely changing historic buildings. In this case I'll agree with them and hope they block any sale.

PuckChaser said:
JM: I can see tons of people wanting it sold, but Kingston council has a huge history of blocking anything even remotely changing historic buildings. In this case I'll agree with them and hope they block any sale.

Parts of the prison date back to 1835 so I'm pretty sure that would make it an heritage site.

I toured KP and the prison museum in 2006. The museum is pretty good.

KP itself is a hell hole. I did get to see the range where some of the most violent offenders we have are housed.

The cost of keeping it open due to its age is a factor for sure. It would be cheaper to close it and move the inmates to other pens.

medicineman said:
I guess the next question is - where do they move the "residents" to?
There's new, and already trashed, housing along the 401 between Division and Montreal. As a benefit, most of the inmates 'families' are already there.  >:D

The goal is for the federal government to divest old, expensive properties.  not to move the portfolio from Corrections to Parks and keep spending money on it.

Of course, we could always repurpose the KP to replace some of the older cadet quarters at RMC...

>:D

...leaving some of the security features/protocols in place for long-weekends.  ;D

Journeyman said:
I suspect, however, that it will get sold for relatively minor profit, with the land completely rebuilt for outrageously-priced condos....

Well obviously! My girlfriend isn't coming in unless she brings me a venti caramel apple spice...and I don't want her to go downtown because it will get cold. Then it's just $5 apple juice...

As for where I think some of the residents should go...  ;D

Read between the lines!

dapaterson said:
The goal is for the federal government to divest old, expensive properties.  not to move the portfolio from Corrections to Parks and keep spending money on it.

Of course, we could always repurpose the KP to replace some of the older cadet quarters at RMC...
>:D

Pretty sure some of the cells are bigger than some of the rooms in the Stone Boat.  And I bet the sound doesn't travel nearly as bad as it did in Champlain and Haldiman when I was there.  ;D  We used to pass notes through the cracks between the top of the closets and the walls!

Journeyman said:

Cause we all know that every Queen's student is rich....not.

"If you find that you are unable to provide healthy food for yourself and your family, there is assistance available. The Alma Mater Society (AMS) at Queen's runs a Food Bank which is open:

Wednesday
5:30pm - 6:30pm

Saturday
10:30am - 12:30pm

Sunday
3:30pm - 4:30pm

They are located on 218 Earl Street, MacGillivray-Brown Hall. Enter through Barrie Street entrance and then turn immediately to your left.  All you need to do is present your student card. Your comfort and confidentiality is ensured. Non-perishable food items can be picked up FREE OF CHARGE. For more information, contact the Food Bank Co-ordinator at 613-533-6972.

The Partners in Mission Food Bank in Kingston will supply a week’s groceries to a family who really needs it. In order for you to receive such assistance, you must be referred from another agency, such as the QUIC. Please check with the International Student Advisor at the Queen's University International Centre, for more information."

http://quic.queensu.ca/incoming/food.asp

Just sayin'.

DSCN3782.jpg

The cells are pretty small

If the Pen closes where is DND going to get their matresses from? ;D

DSCN3795.jpg

Back