• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kingston Class 40MM replacement?

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=1040249

I found this, but it says nothing about the Kingston class.  There aren't enough in the announcement for the Kingston class (4 per ship for the Halifax and the Queenston).  Is it a separate project yet to come, or is it stuff we have on hand?

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Don't be too hard on yourself JJ. You may note from my first post on the subject that I too mentioned Bonnie as a source of bofors 40 mm. I can tell you that the lore around the Navy has always been that we were fighting with Bonnie's old guns, not maggies'. So there is a definite long standing urban legend around those guns in any event.
Ken McPherson's - "Ships of Canada's Naval Forces" says:
Bonaventure  16,000 tons, Dimensions  704' x 80' x 25' , Speed 24, Armanent 8-3" (4xII) 8-40 mm. 

First look at the new to the RCN Nanuk RWS mounted on the Kingston Class.

C-NHEqlW0AANiQ3.jpg%20large_zpsnuekgyha.jpg

Chief Stoker said:
First look at the new to the RCN Nanuk RWS mounted on the Kingston Class.

C-NHEqlW0AANiQ3.jpg%20large_zpsnuekgyha.jpg

Dude in back/right looks like he and the Army CWO are buddies with all the arm decoration thingies going on...

This gun does look somewhat cooler than a Boffin though.

MM

How different is it to the one they trialled on SUMMERSIDE years ago?  Without researching it, it looks like a Bushmaster with RWS?

Dimsum said:
How different is it to the one they trialled on SUMMERSIDE years ago?  Without researching it, it looks like a Bushmaster with RWS?

Are you talking about on SUMMERSIDE which was a .50 cal? It looks similar and i'll let you know next week as i'm sailing for trials on the weapon, I was also in SUMMERSIDE in 2005 when we trialed the OTO MELARA system, both were .50's.

Do you know where they put the control panels for these (bridge/ops)? Also are they planning to be controlled by Deck or OPS departments?

That is a mean looking gun system. ...  are they retaining the crew served .50's on the wings or can the RCN just go with this weapon on the MCDV.

TwoTonShackle said:
Do you know where they put the control panels for these (bridge/ops)? Also are they planning to be controlled by Deck or OPS departments?

The control station is on the bridge to the left of the helmsman console. Deck will be operators, however I believe others will be trained as well.

Cloud Cover said:
That is a mean looking gun system. ...  are they retaining the crew served .50's on the wings or can the RCN just go with this weapon on the MCDV.

Port and Stbd gun positions will be retained.

Is it the same Nanuk RWS that the Army mounted on a few LAV when the MMEV project died?

MCG said:
Is it the same Nanuk RWS that the Army mounted on a few LAV when the MMEV project died?

More or less, I believe the grenade launcher capability was removed and the rest of the mount changed for Naval use and electronics upgraded.

medicineman said:
Dude in back/right looks like he and the Army CWO are buddies with all the arm decoration thingies going on...

This gun does look somewhat cooler than a Boffin though.

MM

Capt (now Comdre) Craig Skjerpen, former Commanding Officer Sea Training.

But he still look like a Christmas tree (sorry! Holiday tree  ;D).

You know as well as I do, FSTO, that sailors like things simple and don't like to repeat themselves uselessly. Why should their uniform reflect the opposite?

They need to be recognized individually: Fine. That means name tape, trade badge and rank slip ons.

Then they are proud of their "service" and their country: Again, fine. The rank slip ons say CANADA and a single RCN Ensign on one shoulder reflects both the Naval aspect of their service and their country with the Canadian flag in the corner. That is all that is needed, no other Canadian flags or repeats everywhere else.

Finally, they want to identify with their current unit, so a single small unit crest on the breast pocket will do.

Anything else is overkill.

BTW, Chief, no one mentioned it here but that attached E/O system is a damn useful extra sensor even when no requirement to use the gun exists. Do you know if they have planned to have a protective tarp for the gun that will let them use the sensor even when on?

FSTO said:
Capt (now Comdre) Craig Skjerpen, former Commanding Officer Sea Training.

He still wears the red hat as part of sea training group.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
But he still look like a Christmas tree (sorry! Holiday tree  ;D).

You know as well as I do, FSTO, that sailors like things simple and don't like to repeat themselves uselessly. Why should their uniform reflect the opposite?

They need to be recognized individually: Fine. That means name tape, trade badge and rank slip ons.

Then they are proud of their "service" and their country: Again, fine. The rank slip ons say CANADA and a single RCN Ensign on one shoulder reflects both the Naval aspect of their service and their country with the Canadian flag in the corner. That is all that is needed, no other Canadian flags or repeats everywhere else.

Finally, they want to identify with their current unit, so a single small unit crest on the breast pocket will do.

Anything else is overkill.

BTW, Chief, no one mentioned it here but that attached E/O system is a damn useful extra sensor even when no requirement to use the gun exists. Do you know if they have planned to have a protective tarp for the gun that will let them use the sensor even when on?

You can blame the dress committee for the extra bling, I just wear what i'm told. The camera and IR sensors is what i'm excited about as it brings a good capability to the ship. Not sure about the tarp, I'll check on Mon when I go out for trials.

Depends if the retrofit is done by a contractor with an incentive to proceed quickly or by the Dockyard personnel  ;).

Joking aside, once the system is proven through the testing, this is not big or complex matters it should be fairly quick.

Back