• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kind of a random question about a photo

CEEBEE501

Inactive
Reaction score
Didnt really know where to post this so I decided here as it is some what of a Potpourri

I saw this picture today and noticed the Slip-on on the helmet, so I was just wondering if that is a official marking or if it was some sort of joke, or something along those lines?
random-b-03_28_11-22.jpg

This is a WAG on my part, not being Navy.

Might it be intended to be an easily available marking of one's duty position while at combat stations? Not being able to easily recognize the individual behind all the kit, I can see the merits in being able to look at their helmet and see their job...

You also don't carry (or are issued) a helmet at sea, so those would be "communal use" items depending on who was on watch.  The slip-on would also make sure that the 50 cal gun crew know that those helmets are theirs.

During the mad scramble of action stations or exercising the warning shot organization. Its nice to have your own gear that fits.

Bridge flak jackets and helmets will be marked by position thus the 12.7mm HMG operator has his helmet marked in the picture.

and agree with Dimsums post

Back