• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kilts and pants?

dapaterson said:
And there are those for who "formal" means "I'll wear pants."  Shirt optional.  Like this fine collection of upstanding citizens.

image-page1-1.jpg

Who said you could post a picture of  the army.ca staff? 8)

It must be an old staff pic -- the redhead relinqushed her Mod powers a while ago  ;)

Journeyman said:
It must be an old staff pic -- the redhead relinqushed her Mod powers a while ago  ;)

No Federal Government Regulations require us to have a Redhead, so we've been making Kyle wear a wig.

Well, if he has to use a wig, then he at least has a soul... 

somewhere...

:warstory:

<ducks, and awaits incoming...>

xena said:
Well, if he has to use a wig, then he at least has a soul... 

somewhere...
Whoa....it's not Kick a Ginger Day.

And if it was, I'd be betting overwhelmingly on the redhead; she can be pretty feisty  :nod:

Journeyman said:
Whoa....it's not Kick a Ginger Day.

And if it was, I'd be betting overwhelmingly on the redhead; she can be pretty feisty  :nod:

Kick A Ginger Day is months away

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&biw=1276&bih=818&q=kick+a+ginger+day+&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=f&oq=&fp=ccd0a402b0736d6b

However

kick-a-ginger1.jpg

I know I know stop derailing threads....... I'll go back to watching video from Japan now :-[

For the record M'Lord, I suggested kicking no one.  I mused that a non-redhead likely had a soul and nothing else.  Any implications about soul-less-ness of anyone, or any group are purely conjectures of the readers.

>:D

<Please don't let Vern kill me!  Please!>

"The official recognition of the kilt is one of several changes contained in the Review of Royal Navy Clothing, led by Commander David Hobbs, project officer at the Defence Clothing and Textile Agency. Some changes announced yesterday will save the Navy money. They include the decision to end the tradition of two patterns of naval jacket, one for officers and one for senior ratings. They will now all wear the officer-style jacket. Navy-blue trousers for officers and senior ratings will be identical and a new raincoat will be designed to be worn by all ranks. Trials are to be launched to replace the gold in officers' sleeve lace and on their caps with a synthetic material."

I notice that this article is from 1996.  I certainly hope that the move to replace sleeve lace with a synthetic material died a horrible death.  Now that we've gone back to proper lace on our tunics, it would be ironic if the RN went the direction we did in 1968 and started wearing plastic trash.

I have seen multiple mentions of "this question has come up before" but a good dose of searching doesn't find the discussion I was looking for, so hear goes...

I am at the very beginning of a RCAF officer career having formerly served in the British Army. As a Scot, I'm accustomed to my black tie order of dress being the kilt and appropriate accoutrements. I am just about to drop $1300 or so on RCAF mess kit and I also intend to play with my local RCAF pipe band (ie. I will have an issued RCAF tartan kilt) and, naturally, I wondered about wearing the kilt in lieu of trousers with my mess kit.

Searching this forum and dress regs gives me the impression that the kilt (RCAF tartan or otherwise) is not authorised for RCAF mess kit. Similar to other comments here about RCN mess dress, I hear tell of certain RCAF officers flaunting the rules and donning their highland finery anyway.

Is my interpretation correct? How daring would it be to wear the kilt in defiance of regulation? Do others wear kilts with their mess dress? If so, RCAF tartan? From my very junior position, I assume it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Tait said:
From my very junior position, I assume it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Probably the smartest thing said on these boards in a while.

Tait said:
From my very junior position, I assume it would be wise to err on the side of caution.

Don't rock the boat with an employer, especially at the "very beginning" of a career.  ( Probably, the same unwritten  rule applies in marriage.  :) )

mariomike said:
Don't rock the boat with an employer, especially at the "very beginning" of a career.  ( Probably, the same unwritten  rule applies in marriage.  :) )

Very true!

Let me rephrase my questions then...

When I'm somewhat more established in position, is kilted attire likely to be more accepted?

Not sure.  The dress regs are pretty clear about who can and when they can wear kilts.

As to what the RCAF does informally and what they tolerate is beyond my knowledge. 

The tartan cummerbund is approved for wear with RCAF mess kit though. 

Tait said:
When I'm somewhat more established in position, is kilted attire likely to be more accepted?
You mean once people accept that you like cross-dressing? 

I couldn't decide on the smilie, so:

a)  :stirpot:

b)  :whistle:

c)  >:D                     

Journeyman said:
You mean once people accept that you like cross-dressing? 

Surely the modern military can accommodate my preferences?

Tait said:
Surely the modern military can accommodate my preferences?
Absolutely.    :nod:

I was  going to go as far as to mention that, largely due to Operation Honour, you'd even be free of mocking.  ;D

However, I have no dog in this, and actually don't understand the question;  I didn't know that the Air Force even had dress regs.  :dunno:

Just a couple of things. Kilts are not permitted with mess dress in the Navy currently. Second point a tartan has been designed for the Navy and is being presented to the National dress committee this week.

Tait said:
. . .

I am at the very beginning of a RCAF officer career having formerly served in the British Army. As a Scot, I'm accustomed to my black tie order of dress being the kilt and appropriate accoutrements. I am just about to drop $1300 or so on RCAF mess kit and I also intend to play with my local RCAF pipe band (ie. I will have an issued RCAF tartan kilt) and, naturally, I wondered about wearing the kilt in lieu of trousers with my mess kit.

. . .

What is this fascination you have with acquiring a uniform (especially as an OCdt) for which you may have no need over the next couple (or more) of years?  Maybe your circumstances have changed since you posted the following a little over three months ago, but if your plan is still to attend university on the government dime the opportunities to flaunt dress regulations will be few (if attending a civilian institution) or none (if attending RMC - the gentlemen cadets have their own distinct clothing that doesn't include mess dress).  There used to be a reason (and not just a financial one) why new officers (after they were commissioned) had a six month grace period before they had to purchase the monkey suit.

Tait said:
I have a current application for CT-ROTP with ACSO as my trade aspiration. My interviews, medic- als, university / RMC applications and aircrew selection were all successful but I haven't heard anything for a month. I did contact my CFRC but my MCC is on long term sick leave.

Good question with excellent references! My apologies if the following is taking things a little off topic to answer Blackadder's question.

Of course there is a great deal of excitement that comes with the launch of a new career, for which I might be getting ahead of myself. In the past, I have taken great pride in the Scottish elements of my uniform (when permitted, eg. with HM Scots Guards) and I can't help but wonder about the possibilities with my new career. I must say for the record that this is neither a fascination or a focus - right now I have many more important questions for which I have been fortunate to find authoritative answers outside this forum.

I genuinely hope to avoid flaunting dress regs although it is genuinely interesting to me to ask how seriously these are taken in different environments. I have been advised that I will be a member of the local RCAF officer's mess and I hope that there will be opportunity for me to attend various mess functions, including formal dinners. I imagine this would be considered excellent professional development!

If I'm going to need to buy the uniform eventually, why not get it now? I have no intention of getting profoundly fatter!

Back