• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Kids wearing camo

Serenity

Inactive
Reaction score
From a purely parental place, I would like to know what the general feeling is about children wearing camouflage-inspired clothes.

While this may seem like a trivial subject, all one needs to do is head to the Boy's department of any store and look at the selection available.  I am hard-pressed to find a pair of pants for my pre-teen son that are not some form of camo.  As well, Zellers has a line of pink and green camo for girls.  It is everywhere.

This is a bone of contention in my own home as my significant other is involved in the military and has very strong opinions on the subject.  He feels it is a sign of disrespect. 

As a side note, my son does have several pairs of camo pants.  When asked why he likes them, he says "they're cool".

Having casually asked other parents, it occurs to me that the only opinions I should consider are by those who wear the clothes for the purpose they are intended. 

So, what does everyone think?

Clothes are clothes and kids will be kids
I would imagine that your son is well rounded individual that is following the trends set by others...................
(how original ?!)

Serenity said:
This is a bone of contention in my own home as my significant other is involved in the military and has very strong opinions on the subject.  He feels it is a sign of disrespect. 

So, what does everyone think?

If they were wearing actual uniforms, I could see the disrespect angle. The camo in stores now is Korean or Chinese fantasy camo.

If you want disrespect, I wore a Battledress jacket with insignia through high school.  ::) We didn't think anything of it; as stated earlier, kids will be kids.

Serenity said:

Are you certain that he meant disrespect? Maybe he doesn't agree with the trivializing of the military?

Or maybe he just likes to argue for the sake of arguing to keep you on your toes  ;D

Enzo said:
Or maybe he just likes to argue for the sake of arguing to keep you on your toes 
Argue for the sake of arguing....yep, sounds like a typical man to me  ;D

As for the camo pants, my son has one pair.  He would like to have more, as he too thinks they're "cool", but I think one is enough.  I'm okay with them, as they aren't anywhere close to the real thing.  Besides, I am only a sailor.  I figure I might have more of a problem if I was wearing the green too.

I suppose that it comes down to the individual.  My son does not make the correlation between camo and war.  To him it is just something soldiers wear and as he holds them in a place of respect, camo is therefore 'cool'.

After my post, my significant other and I discussed his 'disapproval'.  His feelings seemed to mirror the others that have responded... fantasy camo is one thing but a uniform would be different.  Peace has once again returned to the village.

As a side note, in my neverending quest not to be hypocritical, I have yet to reveal to my son that when I was 15, I spent a solid 6 months wearing my father's flight jacket.  I am sure it is bound to come up.

My daughters love the stuff.  In pink and green; shirts, pants, skirts, skorts etc.  I think it is a sign of the respect that the military once again possesses that imitation of uniform is again cool.  For centuries, both mens formal wear, and the rakish styles of the dandy were based on imitation of military wear.  It wasn't until the sixties that we became uncool in pop culture.  It seems this too has passed.  Good.  Thank gods they are not imitating the horrible workdress and other fashion attrocities that our non combat gear was in my time.

I see no harm or disrespect...in fact the whole idea might even make it "kool" to be in the military or to be a soldier...
My son has camo pants and so do I (several pair and a t-shirt in camo print)... ;D
Children like to mimic things/people...like being a doctor or firefighter or any number of professions...we never feel this is disrespectful...do we?

My 2 cents

HL

I have no problem with kids wearing camo pattern clothes, it is jsut more of the "punk" group with the old combats that bug me. But then I always get a chuckle out of them when I see the old olive drab jacket with Rancid or some other punk band badges all over it. It sure makes my day.

I have no problem with kids wearing camo as well.

When our son was born, Daddy had to go searching for a baby camo outfit because he was very proud he had a boy. My daughter has camo clothes too. Everytime she wears them she says I am just like my Daddy.

Just my 2 cents....

I agree.  I'm busy looking for some cams for my grandson (he's 9 months)... can't wait to take him to work (I work at the Base) to show him off.  I even have a cute little beret for him (no hat badge) :)

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...

xcameron that sounds adorable...did you check out GAP kids...they often have camo clothes for the kiddos

HL

My 7 year old has a long sleeve green camo shirt that says daddys girl.  It was what she wore when I left for A'stan last year.  It is fashion that kids follow and has nothing to do with disresect for the forces. 

I wear foreign (Dutch, Russian, US, Yugo) military clothes for my sports, because they are so practical for it. Roomy, durable and comfortable will allowing a good range of movement. It has nothing to do with them being military at all, just the fact they are very well designed and made clothes. I don't think its disrespect to wear military or military inspired clothes.

It hadn't occured to me that it would be disrespectful. I saw the fashion trend and thought it was nice because it's a sign the military is getting more respect. I keep meaning to get something for myself. I do have a cadpat rucksack. If I had bought it while I was still going to school, I'd have loved using it as a backpack. It would have made quite a statement

Call it advertising?

I know I already posted, but I though I would add one thing; If it was a full Uniform, then it would be a bit disrespectful/not kosher IMHO. but so long as people can tell your not trying to impersonate a solider (if your not one) then whats the problem? To me someone wearing CADPAT pants by them selves just says that the person thinks the Canadian forces are cool, and is not trying to impersonate them.

I myself have a cadpat bag that I bought through CP gear while it was on sale. I (at the time) thought "This would be great for cadets! I will use it all the time!" Needless to say, I may use it for cadets once every few months. I find it being used purely for school.

It is funny how many people ask "where did you get that awsome bag?" and I just respond "You can get an ever cooler one for free at the armories"

On the track of military clothing being used for everyday use. I have an old pair of OD combats that have been adopted into shorts after a rip occured in the shin area of the right leg. I must say, they are the most comfortable shorts I have ever owned! I've been planing on buying some stock of my size from the Cadet QM and making some more!

My son has many pairs of camo and actually Dh just picked him up a new pair this past weekend for the last dance of the year.  Myself I just picked up my first pair of camo's in the form of capris with a great Mash shirt to go with it.

Ok, I was on the side of the fence that had an issue with the "camo" fad, but reading these posts has softened my stance somewhat. Yeah, I get annoyed at the para-military goth crowd; however, I see now that as stated above, imitation is a sincere form of flattery, so... And finally, I forgot my own youth. I loved my combat jacket and I wore it every day with high tops, jeans and a t-shirt (ah, the 80s).

Wow, I really am turning into my father  ::)

Enzo said:
Ok, I was on the side of the fence that had an issue with the "camo" fad, but reading these posts has softened my stance somewhat. Yeah, I get annoyed at the para-military goth crowd; however, I see now that as stated above, imitation is a sincere form of flattery, so... And finally, I forgot my own youth. I loved my combat jacket and I wore it every day with high tops, jeans and a t-shirt (ah, the 80s).

Wow, I really am turning into my father  ::)
It's okay...we all turn into our parents to some degree...at some time...the 80s were cool...I am dating myself now...

HL

Back