• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

kicked out of university for being a reservist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redzaku

Inactive
Reaction score
so my question is that being a reservist will get you kicked out of school? true or false?
the reason is that my brother's friend went to Grant MacEwan but when they found out that he was in the military serving as a reservist, they kicked him out
and i want to know the truth of it, if my brother is just lying to me

I think someone is trying to hide the real reason they got kicked out of school by using the lamest excuse I've heard in a while.

There are many Reservists across the country that are attending university. Every officer in an ROTP program that is not attending RMC is attending a civilian university. Being a Reservist will not, of itself, get someone "kicked out" of a university.  Perhaps you don't have all the facts and someone is using that reason as an excuse to hide other factors that led to his being asked not to return.

For example, that University's policies include:

http://academic.macewan.ca/pollardm/files/2010/07/PSYC-241_100__Ludwig_WI10.pdf

MISSED EXAMS: When students miss an exam, test, or quiz the instructor should
be notified of the reason within 48 hours. In general, some type of official
documentation is required in order to obtain an excused absence. When students seek
an excused absence because of illness, an official medical note is required. Medical
notes must include: the date you were examined, a clear statement indicating that due
to the severity of the illness you were unable to write the exam on the scheduled date,
and the signature of the doctor (signatures by office staff on behalf of the doctor are
not acceptable). Notes obtained subsequent to the date of the exam are generally not
accepted. In addition to illness, acceptable reasons for an excused absence can include
jury duty, military assignments, etc.

Approximately 60% of my (reserve) unit is made up of post-secondary students.

While I'm not a university student myself, I did spend three years in university before leaving of my own accord, and I am currently a student of the local college. Both the local university and the local college have officialy policies in place supporting reservists. More importantly ever faculty member I've dealt with personally has been quite supportive of my reserve employment, official policies aside (Not to say there aren't faculty member who aren't deeply opposed to the military, however, between doing mostly engineering, and oddly, anthropology courses, I have yet to run across any)

Your friend is entirely full of it (You can figure out what "it" is)

One might run in problems if he/she received a scholarship that requires a number of hours, week,...of mandatory academic work to keep the scholarship active.

There are also requirement in some of  graduate programs on the number of hours you need to put in your research to graduate that might conflict with long summer training. Some advisers might give you a hard time if you can't pull out at least 50 hours a week (no joke) non stop for several years, without many holidays, specially in the top Canadian's universities.

But being kicked out purely because you are involved in military services, I've never heard about this.

In any case, one has to double check before registering in a university programs about the commitment that it involves.

My  :2c:

In another case, buddy had an assignment handed out on Friday afternoon and due Monday afternoon. Incidentally, this was also a BMQ weekend. So he went and talked to the prof, proved he wasn't lying about BMQ, and got an extension.

I did that too for a couple of students in the past years.

It is too bad that university doesn't put in place a system like sport-scholarship in which they tell us about students involved with military and than we can plan their exams/homework according.

I would think you're being fed a line my friend. My university has in fact gone out of its way to accomadate me as I complete training and work for my unit. Extensions on papers, giving me notes for classes I had to miss as a result of being away on course. The list goes on!

Sounds like someone is telling a flat out lie. I've never heard of this before.

In my instance, Carleton happily let me leave school for two full years for my deployment. When I returned, I maintained my academic standing and my scholarship with no difficulty whatsoever other than a minor computer glitch that was overridden by the registrar with no problem. Universities and colleges are typically pretty good to soldiers.

I highly doubt someone would be kicked out of uni for being a reservist. I have no personal experience on this as I was in my last semester when I got in but....

I've done several courses with students. One member of my regiment is currently working on her PhD and - here's the kicker - we have a WO on loan from back east who is a post-doctoral fellow at UBC.

When I did my BMQ in 2008, it conflicted with 2 final exams at University of Windsor.  The registrar's office took care of everything, got me to write my exams 2 months after the course finished, in Ottawa at Carleton University.  They even let me reschedule the rescheduled exams because I hadn't any time to study (since you forget most of your Latin vocabulary and statistics after 2 months of training and being out of a school environment).  My professors also were all willing to let me go on a week long trip to Holland in 2008, marking the 90th Anniversary of the end of WWII.  They either rescheduled exams, or merged them in with the final.  The trip didn't happen, but they were all willing.

Bottom line is that while I may dislike University, and specifically my University, they have been very accommodating for my training schedules.

Occam said:
I think someone is trying to hide the real reason they got kicked out of school by using the lamest excuse I've heard in a while.

^
I have had no conflicts concerning university and the Canadian Forces.

^ Agreed.

I've been to both College and University, and they have no problems with people in the Reserves. Even those who are attached to the Fire Department as volunteers can sometimes get called out of class, and if they are at a medical assist or a fire they will be given leeway from missing something in school. (I can only state the Volunteer Firefighter experience from the College, I didn't know anyone who was in my university classes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back