• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Keller" Evac Slings

cdn031

Inactive
Reaction score
In a "Lessons Learned" Article on TCCC (2004?)
There is reference to a "Keller" Sling (a length of tubular nylon tape and a Carabiner)
advocated as a tool for improvised evac - particuarly handy on stairs etc while maintaining wpns control etc

1) Is anyone using this / Training with this technique?
2) Any documentation you have found?
3) what length of tape is ideal?

I've used tape slings as improvised carries during Mountain training, but wondered if anyone is training with this lately

Chris Kopp wrote the book on this.  He teaches quite a few medic courses and develops medic gear. Check out CTOMS.ca to see the latest generation of the sling (K-Sling).

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ekGaK6tTIqw

Thanks Farmboy - agreed that CTOMS does great work!

Seems like a nice Piece of kit - yet specialized
Guess I was hoping that someone had come up with a solution with
Generic tubular Web (Climbing web), tape knots and a carabiner.

That said I can see how it could be done...

Actually you can. The CTOMS sling is specific made, and works decently*. You can improvise several different extration devices using 1" tubular nylon and 2-4 carabeeners.

*Note to above: it does you no good to be the only one to have this and being to only one who knows how to use it. As with every extraction device and techinque, it must be practiced over and over again, by everyone on your team, until it becomes a drill.

St. Micheals Medical Team said:
Actually you can. The CTOMS sling is specific made, and works decently*. You can improvise several different extration devices using 1" tubular nylon and 2-4 carabeeners.

*Note to above: it does you no good to be the only one to have this and being to only one who knows how to use it. As with every extraction device and techinque, it must be practiced over and over again, by everyone on your team, until it becomes a drill.

Agree with your statement, practice, practice, practice. The k-sling is a great piece of kit in my opinion, very easy to use. It's been used by several on work-up training thus far and for extraction in some scenarios IE. a hight threat environment it seems to perform. Its fast as hell to deploy and hook up and offers the obvious advantage of maintaining weapon control. You need a riggers belt as well but both are a worthy investment.

cheers.

I did a course with CTOMS last year and we practised/learned the K Sling.  It is very innovative, but EVERYONE on your team needs to carry one and know how to use it. You also need the Rigger's belt that was made to work with it.

Back