• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Keep JTF2 'killers' on military base

CFL said:
Hatchet Man PLEASE email him and his chain of command WRT your comments.  PLEASE.

p.s.  yes I have emailed him already.

Done

HAHAHA what a JOKE.Some politicians and activists need to get there head space and timing checked in reality..Right the f**k out of'er.Jesus i need another beer after readin this one.P.S. I definitly ain't voten fiberal or conservitive.I thought the tories were supposed to be the cowboysz of this country. ::) ::)

The only comment I have is that ex-general O'Connor was in the military and a Gemeral and he thinks the way he does. I keep hearing all the time that Ottawa and the Generals have no idea what is going on and if he is saying the things he is it sure makes you think.

Not to defend Mr. O'Connor, but in recent months I have noticed a shift and trend in the Editorial views and the lack of Journalistic skills amongst the Reporters at the Ottawa Citizen, that I no longer consider that Paper, and the Chain it belongs to, as being a credible and accurate source of news any more.  The letter that Dorionhawk posted in Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 18:38:35 of this thread ( http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37742/post-312823.html#msg312823 ) may hold some cause for concern.  Perhaps that paper has an agenda to discredit the Conservative Party and is feeding on our fears, thus manipulating us (indirectly) to do their dirty work for them.

Duey said:
Are not Canada's federal, provincial and municipal police officers also "trained to kill" to protect law-abiding citizens and other law enforcement officers if the conditions so dictate? 

A quick FYI:  we are trained to stop a threat, and never try to "kill" anyone.  The fastest and easiest way to stop a lethal threat is to shoot for the center of mass, which if you are right in the middle, usually includes the heart, lungs and if you are on for line, spinal cord.  A hole in those vital organs causes a rapid drop in blood pressure and the person stops being a lethal threat when they pass out.  If someone is a drugged out whackjob and will not pass out, and center of mass hits are not being effective, then you can try to vertical track up to the head (not an easy task under pressure).  The idea being if you tried to take out the plumbing and that didn't work, you can go for the electrical.  Stop the threat.  That is the job.  After that, if the guy happens to die, then it is the paramedics fault or the ER doctor.  ;D

George Wallace said:
Not to defend Mr. O'Connor, but in recent months I have noticed a shift and trend in the Editorial views and the lack of Journalistic skills amongst the Reporters at the Ottawa Citizen, that I no longer consider that Paper, and the Chain it belongs to, as being a credible and accurate source of news any more.  The letter that Dorionhawk posted in Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 18:38:35 of this thread ( http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/37742/post-312823.html#msg312823 ) may hold some cause for concern.  Perhaps that paper has an agenda to discredit the Conservative Party and is feeding on our fears, thus manipulating us (indirectly) to do their dirty work for them.

This is what I have been thinking and it MAY be the cause for the negative light on O'Connor's ideas.  Since when has everything reported on the military and its supporters/critics been fair and honest?

How ever over zealous the journalist was (which I am not condoning), he still wrote a letter to the editor that did anything but clarify his position.  The language in the letter was not as strong as the article, however it still illustrated clearly how totally out to lunch he is, and resistant to an organization that is radically "different" than anything he knew when he was in the army.  And different means non-convention which scares the living hell out of old school mother army soldiers like O'Connor.  This is not that uncommon.  In the United States it took the failed Iran hostage rescue incident and TWO acts of congress to ensure that the SF community was no longer short changed and undermined by their mother units (USA, USN, USAF, the USMC was left alone as they have alway embraced SF type doctrine), which is how SOCOM was born.  I wonder if he will actually respond to my letter.

I wrote the esteemed (ex) General an email too and am interested to see if he will reply. I imagine, if this thread is any indication, that he will have a large number of emails, letters and phone calls to respond to!

I basically asked him to explain how moving the CF's most highly trained, hand-picked unit to a base would in any way improve their discipline! Too bad this guy seems to be about two fingers left of right outta her as I feel a little embarrassed that he was once a General. Vote Green, I guess.

MG

I don't know if the article title was the journalist's idea, the editor's change, or something inspired by Mr. O'Connor's comments.  However, it wrongly implies an unrestrianed level of leathal violence in the JTF and it ignores the fact that all the CF is trained to kill:

http://army.ca/quotes/?shownum=1366

MCG said:
I don't know if the article title was the journalist's idea, the editor's change, or something inspired by Mr. O'Connor's comments.  However, it wrongly implies an unrestrianed level of leathal violence in the JTF and it ignores the fact that all the CF is trained to kill:

http://army.ca/quotes/?shownum=1366

Probably a little from a three coloums.  I remember reading in the Toronto Sun, a while back there was some controversy about the title of an article.  I don't remember all the details but basically the title misconstrued something in the article (I think it was an op-ed piece actually), and alot of people wrote in all pissed off at the guy who wrote the article, when the SUN pointed out the most of the time the person writing the article rarely comes up with the title for it.  Maybe such is the case here, were an editor thought it would make good copy to sensationalize the title, based on O'Connor comments.

Not sure if anyone else caught it or whether it was mentioned elsewhere.
O'Connor submitted a letter (Inaccurate headline) in yesterday's Ottawa Citizen (02 Jan). In it, he states that he did not use the word "killers" in the "outrageous headline". He believes the headline was used to gain as much sensationalise as possible.

Could it be the letter that Dorionhawk posted in Reply #22 on: December 23, 2005, 18:38:35 in this very thread?

If it is, it sure took the Citizen a while to post it.

Thanks George. I quickly went through the thread and didn't see Dorionhawks post. Basically says the same thing. The letter yesterday was 6 paragrahs long. First sentence was "I did not say the word - killers-  that was alleged......"

BTW - are you still in ? I notice that you are in Ottawa now. I remember you from my time with the RCD's (RQ 2001-2003)

Back