• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Canada says it will look at increasing its defence spending and tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever growing sanctions list.

By Tonda MacCharles
Ottawa Bureau
Mon., March 7, 2022

Riga, LATVIA—On the 13th day of the brutal Russian bid to claim Ukraine as its own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is showing up at the Latvian battle group led by Canadian soldiers, waving the Maple Leaf and a vague hint at more money for the military.

Canada has been waving the NATO flag for nearly seven years in Latvia as a bulwark against Russia’s further incursions in Eastern Europe.

Canada stepped up to lead one of NATO’s four battle groups in 2015 — part of the defensive alliance’s display of strength and solidarity with weaker member states after Russia invaded Ukraine and seized the Crimean peninsula in 2014. Trudeau arrived in the Latvian capital late Monday after meetings in the U.K. with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Netherlands Prime Minister Mark Rutte.

Earlier Monday, faced with a seemingly unstoppable war in Ukraine, Trudeau said he will look at increasing Canada’s defence spending. Given world events, he said there are “certainly reflections to have.”

And Canada tacked on 10 more Russian names to an ever-growing sanctions list.

The latest round of sanctions includes names Trudeau said were identified by jailed Russian opposition leader and Putin nemesis Alexei Navalny.

However, on a day when Trudeau cited the new sanctions, and Johnson touted new measures meant to expose Russian property owners in his country, Rutte admitted sanctions are not working.

Yet they all called for more concerted international efforts over the long haul, including more economic measures and more humanitarian aid, with Johnson and Rutte divided over how quickly countries need to get off Russian oil and gas.

The 10 latest names on Canada’s target list do not include Roman Abramovich — a Russian billionaire Navalny has been flagging to Canada since at least 2017. Canada appears to have sanctioned about 20 of the 35 names on Navalny’s list.

The Conservative opposition says the Liberal government is not yet exerting maximum pressure on Putin, and should do more to bolster Canadian Forces, including by finally approving the purchase of fighter jets.

Foreign affairs critic Michael Chong said in an interview that Ottawa must still sanction “additional oligarchs close to President Putin who have significant assets in Canada.”

Abramovich owns more than a quarter of the public shares in steelmaking giant Evraz, which has operations in Alberta and Saskatchewan and has supplied most of the steel for the government-owned Trans Mountain pipeline project.

Evraz’s board of directors also includes two more Russians the U.S. government identified as “oligarchs” in 2019 — Aleksandr Abramov and Aleksandr Frolov — and its Canadian operations have received significant support from the federal government.

That includes at least $27 million in emergency wage subsidies during the pandemic, as well as $7 million through a fund meant to help heavy-polluters reduce emissions that cause climate change, according to the company’s most recent annual report.

In addition to upping defence spending, the Conservatives want NORAD’s early warning system upgraded, naval shipbuilding ramped up and Arctic security bolstered.

In London, Johnson sat down with Trudeau and Rutte at the Northolt airbase. Their morning meetings had a rushed feel, with Johnson starting to usher press out before Trudeau spoke. His office said later that the British PM couldn’t squeeze the full meeting in at 10 Downing Street because Johnson’s “diary” was so busy that day. The three leaders held an afternoon news conference at 10 Downing.

But before that Trudeau met with the Queen, saying she was “insightful” and they had a “useful, for me anyway, conversation about global affairs.”

Trudeau meets with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg Tuesday in Latvia.

The prime minister will also meet with three Baltic leaders, the prime ministers of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia, in the Latvian capital of Riga.

The Liberals announced they would increase the 500 Canadian Forces in Latvia by another 460 troops. The Canadians are leading a multinational battle group, one of four that are part of NATO’s deployments in the region.

Another 3,400 Canadians could be deployed to the region in the months to come, on standby for NATO orders.

But Canada’s shipments of lethal aid to Ukraine were slow to come in the view of the Conservatives, and the Ukrainian Canadian community.

And suddenly Western allies are eyeing each other’s defence commitments.

At the Downing Street news conference, Rutte noted the Netherlands will increase its defence budget to close to two per cent of GDP. Germany has led the G7, and doubled its defence budget in the face of Putin’s invasion and threats. Johnson said the U.K. defence spending is about 2.4 per cent and declined to comment on Canada’s defence spending which is 1.4 per cent of GDP.

But Johnson didn’t hold back.

“What we can’t do, post the invasion of Ukraine is assume that we go back to a kind of status quo ante, a kind of new normalization in the way that we did after the … seizure of Crimea and the Donbas area,” Johnson said. “We’ve got to recognize that things have changed and that we need a new focus on security and I think that that is kind of increasingly understood by everybody.”

Trudeau stood by his British and Dutch counterparts and pledged Canada would do more.

He defended his government’s record, saying Ottawa is gradually increasing spending over the next decade by 70 per cent. Then Trudeau admitted more might be necessary.

“We also recognize that context is changing rapidly around the world and we need to make sure that women and men have certainty and our forces have all the equipment necessary to be able to stand strongly as we always have. As members of NATO. We will continue to look at what more we can do.”

The three leaders — Johnson, a conservative and Trudeau and Rutte, progressive liberals — in a joint statement said they “will continue to impose severe costs on Russia.”

Arriving for the news conference from Windsor Castle, Trudeau had to detour to enter Downing Street as loud so-called Freedom Convoy protesters bellowed from outside the gate. They carried signs marked “Tuck Frudeau” and “Free Tamara” (Lich).

Protester Jeff Wyatt who said he has no Canadian ties told the Star he came to stand up for Lich and others who were leading a “peaceful protest” worldwide against government “lies” about COVID-19 and what he called Trudeau’s “tyranny.”

Elsewhere in London, outside the Russian embassy, other protesters and passersby reflected on what they said was real tyranny — the Russian attack on Ukraine. “I think we should be as tough as possible to get this stopped, as tough as possible,” said protester Clive Martinez.

I can agree with your points here.

I also will offer that it is far less about the DOD budget and more about how Congress approves (or doesn't) budgets at the whims of political infighting.
Fair. I guess I was really responding to @Oldgateboatdriver comment about oversight in govt spending.

How many people were aware that Canada transferred 2 billion in cash to Ukraine last month and it wasn’t to fund fighting the Russians?
In the whole history of Canada, the eastern “federal” government has never spent 2 billion in total in the interior of British Columbia. That amount of money would help to start to fix an awful lot of problems here.

I’m all for taking it to Putins Reds- blow them into a pink mist for all I care- but I am totally against transferring cash to - checks notes - pay public service retiree pensions in Ukraine.

We need to remove ourselves from that war for a few years and get things straight at home first, including our own military.

$35 billion for the trans mountain pipeline

Over $20 billion in contracts to Seaspan Shipyards, which results in contracts to various suppliers across BC and the rest of the country as part of the National Shipbuilding Strategy

Just under 30,000 federal public servants in BC at a cost of about $125k per full time employee for an annual cost of over $3.5 billion

Currently $9.5 billion in federal transfers to BC currently projected for 24-25

2016 and 2018 bi-lateral agreements for just under $5 billion in infrastructure related funding, outside other existing programs

That's near $10 billion in direct transfers, over $3 billion more for federal jobs in the province every year not including $25 billion in shipbuilding and infrastructure programs, what federal responsibilities in BC do you feel are being ignored? That was a short google search, there's various programs I'm sure neither of us are aware even exist that are probably federally funded in some manner.

I would rather see money for Ukraine being invested in Canadian built equipment. I want dramatically expanded munitions production, I want a multitude of logistics and armoured vehicles being pumped out around the clock. I want various models of drones being built here. I want to see new mortars, machine guns, rifles, body armour, load carriage systems, radios, STANO and other equipment being manufactured en masse to meet their needs and our own. I want to transfer large stocks of older equipment and use it as an opportunity to recapitalize but ultimately we aren't fighting a war for national survival, they are. We could transfer every tank, howitzer, and LAV and so long as we retain naval and air assets for continental defence we'd ultimately be okay in the short term. If Ukraine can't defend itself, then millions of Ukrainians will find themselves speaking Russian at gunpoint in short order, conscripted into their army, their resources and industry co-opted to serve an emboldened Russia who has demonstrated that the west will not live up to its ideals and take the actions needed to preserve democracy, national sovereignty and the rules based international order it professes to support.

We had plenty of problems at home in 1939 too, should we have sat out the first few years of WW2 to make sure we had everything in order here, or could we perhaps shoulder a little bit of financial cost to defend the foundational ideas of our civilization against a country that is actively hostile towards us, engages in hostile information ops against us, and is fundamentally opposed to our military and political alliances?

As for paying Ukrainian pensions - war or no war, old people need shelter and food, and that requires money. Doubtless there are improvements that could be made to Ukrainian government expenditures but even in wartime there are expenses outside of the military that continue to be necessary for a nation to function. By funding Ukrainian pensions they can take money that would otherwise have been allocated for that purpose and spend it on more military matters. Assuming that $2 billion was just for pensions, which it isn't, it's an overall aid package that includes a multitude of old and new programs including military support, civil support, demining projects, humanitarian aid unless there's a whole other multi billion dollar aid package that hasn't been announced anywhere or listed on any government site, news page, etc.

Total aid to Ukraine so far is sub $5 billion in primarily loan assistance, and $2 billion in military aid, primarily in the form of already existing equipment and ammunition. That's $3.5 billion a year on average so far, the majority of due to be paid back. A pretty paltry sum considering we're in the top ten economies of the world and our total aid so far amounts to about 0.1% of GDP per year, primarily in loan assistance.

I can agree with your points here.

I also will offer that it is far less about the DOD budget and more about how Congress approves (or doesn't) budgets at the whims of political infighting.

For all our faults and flaws, forcing an election anytime the government can't pass a budget seems like a pretty nice feature. Along with continuing to pay people while politicians have their disputes.

“We need to send $2 billion of military equipment manufactured in Canada to Ukraine to use now. Ukraine can't wait "a few years."

If Canada actually replaced the kit, I agree. But they won’t and everybody knows it.

As for the ammunition, the hold up must be entirely ideological because by now Canada could have scaled up production of at least that. It’s totally mystifying why we have not done so when throwing so much money around.

Ukraine will be around in a couple of years and it’s the better and proper role for Europe to see to that much more aggressively than we should ever have to be - and if they don’t then that’s on Europe and not us.

Our contributions militarily to Ukraine while seemingly large to Canadians, (you of course know they are just a NATO rounding error so far), but huge in the context of what little Canada had to offer- it has now become a sacrifice and not much more than that.

I’m sorry but I’ve come to the view that we are spending far too much money on Ukraine’s needs - both military and civil- and the whole thing is so far out of balance that feds are now going to position contributions to Ukraine as part of Canadian defence spending. The CAF will never be treated with the happy largess that Ukraine receives from Ottawa and so I don’t support it at the current levels until we have things together here.

More than a part of me suspects that the Deputy Prime Minister cares more for the defence of Ukraine than the defence of Canada - or at least sees 'opportunities for cost savings'. After all, she has an ethnic tie to Ukraine that she clearly values quite highly. I might speculate that she is comfortable spending Canadian money on Ukraine's defence, and American money on Canada's defence, since we've been getting away with this for so long.

• Humorous
Reactions: ueo
Its telling of the PMs priorities in that he himself personally announces the large dollar figure social welfare spending programs that intrude into provincial space yet delegates to his subordinate cabinet ministers the announcement on a core federal responsibility.

Likely not an indication of anything substantive tomorrow but we will see.

Its telling of the PMs priorities in that he himself personally announces the large dollar figure social welfare spending programs that intrude into provincial space yet delegates to his subordinate cabinet ministers the announcement on a core federal responsibility.

Likely not an indication of anything substantive tomorrow but we will see.
And this being released as a zoom meeting? Really?

I would absolutely love for the Herc they're offering for media to travel to Trenton not show up or leave them trapped in Trenton due to maint issues while they're announcing 20% cuts to O&M funding.
Or get retasked mid-flight for LENTUS support.

H Herc or J Herc? That's how to tell if the DPU is "keep the really old stuff running" or "newer stuff".

I would absolutely love for the Herc they're offering for media to travel to Trenton not show up or leave them trapped in Trenton due to maint issues while they're announcing 20% cuts to O&M funding.
Hanger will be closed due to the door mechanism failing

I remember first hearing about this ‘update’ and thinking it made sense just to tweak/refresh and publish in short order. It’s several years later now and it’s still being called an update which seems to under appreciate the situation wrt world events and CAF challenges. Quite concerning and my expectations are low. I hope to be surprised tomorrow by some substance and acknowledgement of the requirements to achieve the stated objectives.

Back