• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

You can't just shovel trash into a hole and say you paved it.

The Requirements in NATO for things to be consider Defense Spending mean they need to actually have a Defense function - the USCG has more firepower than the RCN* (okay they don't run missiles anymore current, but they have numerous cannon armed Cutters that are CPF sized) , so it qualifies, but the CCG doesn't have even GPMG's on their ships, nor a lot of other enablers.
I never said they were combat-ready and effective for mission as of yet. But with Canada's global defense current issue, it wouldn't hurt adding the CCG as an asset to the actual subject. I mean, it can't be that worse as it is.

The civilian marine industry (in Canada at least) is struggling to hire sufficient ship's crews. One of the only ways they're staying afloat is that most offer a 1:1 time on/time off work cycle. Assuming that we're talking about bringing the CCG into the RCN model and using a common crewing pool, the resultant personnel crisis from CCG pers quitting would make the RCN's current personnel woes look like a walk in the park.
Everyone is currently struggling to hire sufficient staff. The CAF and all it's branches, even the CCG, are currently facing a really hard time hiring, and with that, retention issues that is not going in the best direction on the long run.

We aren’t the only country to that. We just caught up to the creative math some were already doing.

This was reported on years ago
France reports the entire Paris and Marseilles Fire Departments (about one infantry division worth of people) as part of its military. They even parade with the Army on Bastille Day.

Attachments

• BSPP_flag_Bastille_Day_2008.jpg
    BSPP_flag_Bastille_Day_2008.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
France reports the entire Paris and Marseilles Fire Departments (about one infantry division worth of people) as part of its military. They even parade with the Army on Bastille Day.
In fairness they are, legally speaking, part of the military. Much like their Gendarmie or the Italian Carbinari, you get a nice boost to defence GDP when half your nations police are military.

In fairness they are, legally speaking, part of the military. Much like their Gendarmie or the Italian Carbinari, you get a nice boost to defence GDP when half your nations police are military.
I believe the NATO requirement is along the lines of those police being a federal institution and trained/armed so to conduct section level operations. But even then the Gendarmie and Carbinari are very different organizations that include fully formed military units.

~ $1B budget cut each year for the next 3 years. If you thought VOR rates had been bad, just wait until parts are funded to less than 30% the requirement.

Well, NATO does have a “spend 2% GDP on your public broadcaster” pledge that Canada has not been living up to…
<sarc>
I just thought they were investing in the disinformation portion of the CAF's InfoOps capability...

Hmmm. Isn’t the RCMP a Regiment?

The way I understand it, they were "accorded the status of a regiment of dragoons" in 1921 by KGV. They are not listed in the CAF Order of Precedence.

I never realised until now that the CCG was not a part of the CAF. Not because I never asked why or looked for it, but for me I thought the CCG was a different branch of the CAF. But yes, this would definately help the 2% objective plus it could be a lot more interesting to folks wanting to join, and a very valuable asset for patrolling the North sea.
I never said they were combat-ready and effective for mission as of yet. But with Canada's global defense current issue, it wouldn't hurt adding the CCG as an asset to the actual subject. I mean, it can't be that worse as it is.
Ummm, you do realize that the North Sea is in Europe.

Other than people in boats with binoculars, how would the Coast Guard, as currently constituted, contribute to national defence?

Just so you know their priorities, DND lost $1B and 10% of that is going to the CBC funding increase.
Why does this not surprise me.

Ryan Reynolds Insult GIF by The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard

Back