• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Even more off topic, Barry's Bay must have the only Tim Horton's in the world that closes at 3pm.
Was up there visiting friends a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they simply can't find anyone to work the afternoons. No students are willing to take the job.

Was up there visiting friends a couple of weeks ago. Apparently they simply can't find anyone to work the afternoons. No students are willing to take the job.
When do schools get out? What other jobs are available and pay more? Most importantly, how many potential students employees are in the area?

It's easy to dump on lazy kids, but what are the factors that actually impact the lack of staff?

When do schools get out? What other jobs are available and pay more? Most importantly, how many potential students employees are in the area?

It's easy to dump on lazy kids, but what are the factors that actually impact the lack of staff?
Sorry...I missed the part where I said or implied that the laziness of students was the reason that they were unwilling to take the job.

Well there are many more summer residents in the area than full year. I was pretty sure last year it was open inside. As I saw CRPG staff and students who stopped for lunch one day I was up there getting more and more stuff for my boat.

Sorry...I missed the part where I said or implied that the laziness of students was the reason that they were unwilling to take the job.
I'd say about here...
No students are willing to take the job.
Maybe you didn't mean to imply laziness, but it's a pretty safe assumption that is what is being implied 99% of the time when referring to students and willingness.

I'd say about here...

Maybe you didn't mean to imply laziness, but it's a pretty safe assumption that is what is being implied 99% of the time when referring to students and willingness.
Based on the experience of my son I'd say that laziness is only an issue with some kids (just as it's an issue with some adults). His experience in a market that supposedly is "desperate" for workers is that young people are often only offered very limited PT hours (not enough to really put any money away for school, etc.) and scheduling is extremely inconsistent and erratic making it almost impossible to try and juggle more than one job.

Many other "full time" positions are only offered through employment agencies at minimum wages with no job security, no hope of benefits and little support/interest from the full-time staff at the work locations because they have no long term investment in the casual labour so they are given the dirtiest/most mind-numbing jobs.

My son's been lucky enough to get on with a golf course irrigation system company where he's making a slightly better wage and actually learning a few things, but unfortunately like many of the reasonable jobs available to young people these days it's a seasonal position and he's going to be looking again once the fall comes.

Based on the experience of my son I'd say that laziness is only an issue with some kids (just as it's an issue with some adults). His experience in a market that supposedly is "desperate" for workers is that young people are often only offered very limited PT hours (not enough to really put any money away for school, etc.) and scheduling is extremely inconsistent and erratic making it almost impossible to try and juggle more than one job.

Many other "full time" positions are only offered through employment agencies at minimum wages with no job security, no hope of benefits and little support/interest from the full-time staff at the work locations because they have no long term investment in the casual labour so they are given the dirtiest/most mind-numbing jobs.

My son's been lucky enough to get on with a golf course irrigation system company where he's making a slightly better wage and actually learning a few things, but unfortunately like many of the reasonable jobs available to young people these days it's a seasonal position and he's going to be looking again once the fall comes.
Add to that that instead of raising wages to attract employees, many employers are taking advantage of temporary foreign workers to work in low paid, low skill jobs.

The temporary foreign worker program was first introduced to fill highly skilled positions where there were very few qualified Canadian-born workers. Now it’s used as a way of suppressing wages in the low-skill sector.

Well there are many more summer residents in the area than full year. I was pretty sure last year it was open inside. As I saw CRPG staff and students who stopped for lunch one day I was up there getting more and more stuff for my boat.
We are thinking about retiring in that area....if not that town. Had a great week in Whitney this summer

We are thinking about retiring in that area....if not that town. Had a great week in Whitney this summer
A buddy of mine cashed out when the early-Covid house prices in Barrie went nuts and bought just outside of Barry's Bay on the water.

The only thing that would concern me is proximity to healthcare/hospital. Living 'back of beyond' use to appeal to me but not so much as I get older.

It used to be that tourism-oriented small towns thrived on teens and students staying at the family cottage and staffing the restaurants, marinas, lodges etc. all summer. I don't know what has changed.

On the flip side, I find that many small town Tim's employ a lot of older residents, perhaps to supplement or provide retirement income.

It used to be that tourism-oriented small towns thrived on teens and students staying at the family cottage and staffing the restaurants, marinas, lodges etc. all summer. I don't know what has changed.

On the flip side, I find that many small town Tim's employ a lot of older residents, perhaps to supplement or provide retirement income.
I think what happened is the people born between 1955 and 1995 moved out of the small towns, so their teens aren't living there now to work at the local businesses. People don't vacation "back home" as much as they did in the past, they take a trip to Mexico or Cuba in the winter instead, and many parents don't push their kids out to work to pay for their entertainment.

I think what happened is the people born between 1955 and 1995 moved out of the small towns, so their teens aren't living there now to work at the local businesses. People don't vacation "back home" as much as they did in the past, they take a trip to Mexico or Cuba in the winter instead, and many parents don't push their kids out to work to pay for their entertainment.
For sure, the resident population of small towns in rural Canada is aging, although there are still public and high schools so . . . kids, but maybe not enough to maintain the seasonal industry. There are thousands of seasonal and year-round cottages in places like Muskoka, Haliburton, and Madawaska. It used to be common for one parent (usually mom) and the kids would summer up there and dad would show up on weekends. That's not likely happening as much, and I imagine parents would be reluctant to let teens stay up there alone so they could work. I know some employers in a few areas were providing accommodations in order to try and attract seasonal staff. It's likely easier if there is a larger workforce, like a ski resort or lodge, as opposed to a restaurant of coffee shop.

Back