• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Infanteer and MSE Op are the traditional "Quick bring in a bunch to meet SIP at end of FY" occupations, whether they are needed or not .

This masks underperformance on other occupations year after year, and contributes to the current situation.
On top of that, we also have a ridiculous system designed to fail.

Back in the mid 10's my occupation was so short we were running our DP1 in a morning and night serial at the same time. Fast forward a year, and we were allowing anyone and everyone to OT because we were overborn in Pte/Cpl.

Now we are again back at ~80%, but short specifically in the MCpl-Sgt range... The very people we trained at night, then let go because according to the AMOR we were "fat".

Lots of simple data checks are also revealing. Like Hard Sea Trades being under 10% francophone. Imagine adding 15% to every hard sea trade's trained strength my matching Canada's OL profile.

AMOR is imperfect but important. Org design across the enterprise is important too - since we do little lateral entry, rank pyramid is important to have healthy promotion ratios - to select out.

The classic example was Int Op wanting more MCpl than Cpl, more Sgt than MCpl. WO at least was smaller than Sgt - but greater than Cpl.

That's been mostly fixed, but stupidity like "A Cpl can't brief a Col" needs to be stomped out - hard - whenever it recurs.

Lots of simple data checks are also revealing. Like Hard Sea Trades being under 10% francophone. Imagine adding 15% to every hard sea trade's trained strength my matching Canada's OL profile.
?

So conscript French Canadians to serve in the RCN? Or fire a bunch of Anglos?

AMOR is imperfect but important. Org design across the enterprise is important too - since we do little lateral entry, rank pyramid is important to have healthy promotion ratios - to select out.

The classic example was Int Op wanting more MCpl than Cpl, more Sgt than MCpl. WO at least was smaller than Sgt - but greater than Cpl.

That's been mostly fixed, but stupidity like "A Cpl can't brief a Col" needs to be stomped out - hard - whenever it recurs.
My occupation had 12 MCpl and 60 Sgts when I joined... We are still dealing with the aftermath of restructuring the training.

A Col doesn't need a Sgt/WO to brief them, but a brand new S3 that can barely read the GFA themself is not a useful briefer either.

My occupation had 12 MCpl and 60 Sgts when I joined... We are still dealing with the aftermath of restructuring the training.

A Col doesn't need a Sgt/WO to brief them, but a brand new S3 that can barely read the GFA themself is not a useful briefer either.
Many Maj / LCol are not useful briefers, either.

No names.

Many Maj / LCol are not useful briefers, either.

No names.
I've met a few in my "new" branch...

I've had a couple of people try to take on my briefings. I gave them as polite of a "f**k-off" as I could muster, and proceeded to conduct the brief myself. I may not be great, but I at least understand what I'm talking about better than most people in the room.

There is a plan to try BMQ/DP1 for Infantry, but for many other occupations that doesn't work.

There aren't battalions of mechanics, clerks, or Met Techs that can rotate through a system like that.
You have to start someplace.

For the mechanics clerks etc there are community colleges if you work it right. The math is still the math. You don't get people out of the pipe unless you grease the pipe with something. If you don't, you're in a death spiral. There's always a point where one has to quit wringing ones hands and actually face the problem head on.

🍻

For the mechanics clerks etc there are community colleges if you work it right. The math is still the math. You don't get people out of the pipe unless you grease the pipe with something. If you don't, you're in a death spiral. There's always a point where one has to quit wringing ones hands and actually face the problem head on.

🍻
Sure, there are definitely some cases where we can look at the civvy world and say "close enough for government work".

The problem is, we don't offer anything competitive enough to draw most of the civvy collage people we want... To the average 20-30 year old, a pension after 25 years isn't much incentive when compared against more take-home money now, and no silly military BS.

🍻
Here is an example of us just giving up at greasing the pipe. Friend of mine is in DP1 for the new Cyber op trade, really cool stuff, but day one they were told their career expectancy is 1 year after DP2, why? because after 1 year they can jump shit and work for CSEC for $140k a year doing the same thing we are training them to do.

Here is an example of us just giving up at greasing the pipe. Friend of mine is in DP1 for the new Cyber op trade, really cool stuff, but day one they were told their career expectancy is 1 year after DP2, why? because after 1 year they can jump shit and work for CSEC for $140k a year doing the same thing we are training them to do.
To be fair to the CAF, we are held hostage by TB...

Apparently TB considers our crappy, ill-fitting uniforms as part of our overall compensation package, so they won't bump pay without taking something else away.

I've met a few in my "new" branch...

I've had a couple of people try to take on my briefings. I gave them as polite of a "f**k-off" as I could muster, and proceeded to conduct the brief myself. I may not be great, but I at least understand what I'm talking about better than most people in the room.

Which is the not so secret secret of a great presentation ;)

To be fair to the CAF, we are held hostage by TB...

Apparently TB considers our crappy, ill-fitting uniforms as part of our overall compensation package, so they won't bump pay without taking something else away.
You'd think they would of atleast be given sprc pay though

Back