• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

just curious

shaboing

Inactive
Reaction score
i dont know but this could have been posted before, i couldn't find it when i searched but i was just wondering if anyone knows if there are any world war 1 veterans still alive and if there are how many? i have been watching lots of historic shows like "for king and empire" i believe its called so the question just kinda popped into my head. thanks for the help if anyone knows, haha

This was on the news the other day, as one of the last of them passed away. There's only a handful left, I think the news said there is only six remaining Great War Veterans.

For King and Empire is a great series, does a good job of telling the stories of those who fought. Lest We Forget.

A little over a year ago I read that their were 44 American and 9 Canadian Veterans of the Great War who were still alive. Unfortunatly I can't remember the source so  I don't know how accurate that is. At any rate, I would guess that bothe numbers have gone down since.

When I was young(er) I had the privalege of speaking with a French Veteran of both World Wars who had managed to join up during WW1 when he was only 15. Maybe not a life-changing experience, but it left an impression.

Right now there are only four remaining Canadian WW1 vets still alive to the best of my knowledge.  The number is steadily shrinking, sadly, but such is the way of life.  I am unsure of the numbers for other countries, but, if and only if you are 18+, go to www.arrse.co.uk and enter the Multinational HQ forum.  Post your question there and you will receive responses from Yanks, Canucks, Brits, etc.

I was curious myself and found your post while I was looking for the answer to my question.  I have now found the number of US Vets of WW1 still alive through a search at ask.com.  According to the dept. of Veterans Affairs there are 100 still alive in the US,  thats pretty amazing considering that all of the Vets are now over a hundred years old!!  :salute:

Back