• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Just a question....

warspite

Inactive
Reaction score
Just a question I have...

Recently I was watching daily planet and they where covering the refueling of one of our proud frigates... but they said the ship has to refuel every two days. Now I'm wondering two things:

1. Is the ship just keeping it's tanks topped off or does it really refuel every two days?
2. How long can our ships go without refueling and resupplying?

Would appreciate any answers. Did a search already and turned up nothing.

warspite said:
1. Is the ship just keeping it's tanks topped off or does it really refuel every two days?
2. How long can our ships go without refueling and resupplying?

1.  Keeping topped off.  As the top speed of our AOR's is rather slow, we keep full up in case we have to go buggering off to save some part of the world.  Always have a full tank.

2.  SO many variables...  Are we at full speed?  Cruising speed?  I believe (and someone will correct soon if I'm wrong) but our CPF's can do about 3 weeks of moderate duty without being resupplied...  Again, too many variables.  If speed is 25+, then less time.  If it's super hot, and water consumption is high, less time...  Regardless, what we're taught ( so, HUGE grain of salt) is 3 weeks time battle operational sans RAS. 

T

P.S. Can't stress enough...  Those are the numbers given at training, and have nothing to do with the real world.  (Well, they might, but I can't say for sure, I'm too new)  I'm sure one of the master Killicks or PO's will answer better.  :D

All that and calm seas, or not so calm seas. Best to be prepared, as stated below.

The Librarian said:
All that and calm seas, or not so calm seas. Best to be prepared, as stated below.
Yeah my father works on ships, and he recently came home, he was gone since Septemember. So he told me about all the food and stuff they had to take from Tuktuiuktuck to Vancouver. They hade more food then they needed, and what was left over was thrown away. And this is NOT a Navil ship. There would be more on a Navil ship since there are more people. Fuel wise, they left Tuktuiuktuck, re-fueled in Vancouver, then in Panama, then they got to Halafax. As said before, Navil ships are bigger, and can use more fuel, but this ship was a fair size, the Alex Gorden. May be a lot different then what I said, but there are already good answers.

Naval Ships will RAS (Fuel) on a regular basis while at sea if there is a AOR present for many reasons. As warspite mentioned, there may be a requirement for the ship to head off to complete a SAR mission and therefore it may require to be nearly fully fuelled to carry out that mission, or any other operation at that.

There are other reasons as well. For example, completing a RAS on a regular basis ensures ships personnel are trained on a regular basis in how to perform their duties.  Additionally, being topped up on fuel makes for better ride when sailing through rough weather.

As for the fuel consumption of our warships, it all depends on the speed we require that determines the amount of fuel we consume.

Navalsnipr said:
Naval Ships will RAS (Fuel) on a regular basis while at sea if there is a AOR present for many reasons. As warspite mentioned, there may be a requirement for the ship to head off to complete a SAR mission and therefore it may require to be nearly fully fuelled to carry out that mission, or any other operation at that.

There are other reasons as well. For example, completing a RAS on a regular basis ensures ships personnel are trained on a regular basis in how to perform their duties.  Additionally, being topped up on fuel makes for better ride when sailing through rough weather.

As for the fuel consumption of our warships, it all depends on the speed we require that determines the amount of fuel we consume.

And it gives us all a chance to see our wingers on the other ship...for the Sig's to practice their semifor and to do light light transfers, jackstays etc. The CO/XO and bridge staff also get to practice their station keeping skills. ;D

With an air det onboard its crucial to RAS every few days to top off the beer!!

Back